Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 6 Oct 19, 09:00 AM  
Link to this Post
dippiedawnie
Imagineer

Wowzers my DS would love to be rescued by zip line but it would take a very heft and strong fireman to get my DH to do that as he is terrified of heights. He was considering giving these a try but I fear now we may be staying with the boats!
Poor folks stuck up there- can you imagine if it had been 2pm in July- the heat! I saw one report that said when they are moving the air flow is great but once stopped they heat up pretty quickly.
Let's hope it's all just teething problems 😬

WDW too many times to count
DL 1999
Paris 1996
dippiedawnie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Oct 19, 09:05 AM  
Link to this Post
3disneykids
Imagineer

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
I don't know why but my first though was I wonder if lawyers would be waiting at the bottom to 'assist' people. I can just imagine them elbowing each other rubbing their hands like vultures.
3disneykids is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Oct 19, 09:20 AM  
Link to this Post
disney332
Imagineer

My initial thoughts were, hope no one has been hurt and what about the loo for those stranded.

Yorkshire T covered the number 2, but what about a number 1?

Disney332
Old 6 Oct 19, 09:24 AM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Pinchy View Post
The solution to evacuating over water would seem to be zip lining according to Twitter reports
That sounds like fun, not that anyone wants to be rescued in the first place
Old 6 Oct 19, 09:33 AM  
Link to this Post
mrsdjh
Imagineer

Mobile

Last year we got stuck over water on the High in the Sky Trolley Ride at IOA - that was scary enough for me! Luckily they eventually managed to get it going slowly so no zip lining was needed! Think I’ll give the skyliner a miss.
mrsdjh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Oct 19, 10:00 AM  
Link to this Post
Tillyfloss
Imagineer

Mobile

I know this was in jest but it saddens me that this will be a lot of people’s first thought.
The skyliner is a mode of transport like the bus or the boat. And like them no one is forced to travel on them.
Maybe I’m alone in thinking that if there is an incident on a motorway that holds people up they wouldn’t dream of claiming!
No one was hurt put it down to experience.
Tillyfloss is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Oct 19, 10:03 AM  
Link to this Post
georgina
Serious Dibber

georgina's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
There are picture of 4 carriages banging into one another at the station, not power failure
Old 6 Oct 19, 10:12 AM  
Link to this Post
bernard301
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by georgina View Post
There are picture of 4 carriages banging into one another at the station, not power failure
this is the comment left in the wdwnews report regarding the accident:

BIll G
So this was our first experience riding the skyliner…
My wife and I were on the yellow car pinned into the aqua car on the photos above. It wasn’t a crash.. it was a crushing. The system was down for around 10 minutes and we were sitting in the car while a cast member was going around to cars doing a Disney trivia game with us all. When the system came back on, the aqua car didn’t move, we crushed up against it and the cars behind us crushed into us. You could here the plexiglass breaking and the metal on metal. They freed us up fairly quickly, but it was a sudden drop and loud. I know at least 3 of the cars were damaged, our doors were bent up and the vented glass was broken. Luckily we were at Riviera turnstile so we were evacuated quickly.

wdwnt/2019/10/breaking-a...mment-55480241
The way that cable car systems are operated means that when in the station the cars run on a ratcheted track (much like the ones on roller coaster lift hills). they are then transferred onto the main running cable via a secondary mechanism (which accelerates them to the right speed for the main running cable)and the cars then lock to that. As the system has failed while one car (the aqua one) is connected to an intermediate system, that for whatever reason hasn't restarted or the car has become stuck. The station system has then dragged the last four cars onto it which have then tried to pull up over each other, crushing each other. The cause is more than likely a systems failure as a "crash" between two cars, unless one falls from the track completely, is technically impossible during normal operations
bernard301 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Oct 19, 10:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by Tillyfloss View Post

I know this was in jest but it saddens me that this will be a lot of people’s first thought.
The skyliner is a mode of transport like the bus or the boat. And like them no one is forced to travel on them.
Maybe I’m alone in thinking that if there is an incident on a motorway that holds people up they wouldn’t dream of claiming!
No one was hurt put it down to experience.
It’s because of things like litigation that we have great health and safety standards.
Moorlandman is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Oct 19, 10:16 AM  
Link to this Post
bernard301
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Moorlandman View Post
It’s because of things like litigation that we have great health and safety standards.
Unfortunately... A lot of what I am studying in my masters points to the main drivers for organisational learning in crisis and disaster preparedness is the cost of the financial costs of putting things right, which includes the aspects of litigation
bernard301 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List