Christmas Temporary forum for Christmas seasonal topics

Old 2 Nov 19, 05:09 PM  
Link to this Post
katiec68
Imagineer

katiec68's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Princess Ariel View Post
I’m really cutting back this year. Last year I spent loads on the boys...most of it wasn’t ever used, hundreds on food (again most ended up out of date and thrown away) and loads on gifts for DH’s family (I’m the higher earner so sort all the gifts). I know you shouldn’t give to receive but last year I was 40 and I didn’t even get a card from any of DH’s family, Xmas last year I got a box of biscuits from MIL (not even wrapped) and some smellies from BIL. DH got given loads of money from them though! It was my birthday yesterday and even though they all knew this, again not even a card or text to say happy birthday! They have made it very obvious how they feel about me!
So I’ve learnt the hard way, this is my hard earned money, kids are having a set amount of money this year, DH’s family are all having a tin of biscuits and instead of spending loads of money on food we don’t end up eating we are having a dominoes on Boxing Day lol 😂
I feel ya
My DH family are great but my ex's family were dreadful - Bonmarche knickers for me one year

Last year I put £100 in my sisters account for them (2ad 2ch) and she gave my parents £30 for them and the 2 of us to buy the xmas wine!
Me and DH are good earners but my sis earns what we do combined!
katiec68 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Nov 19, 05:16 PM  
Link to this Post
danisleigh
Imagineer

danisleigh's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 6
All the adults in the family decided years ago to stop buying for each other as it had gotten so difficult trying to come up with ideas! This year my sisters and I are not buying for the kids as they are all teenagers apart from the 9 year old and I will buy for her for a few more years and also my hubby’s nieces and nephews who are all younger. I also donate money to charity rather than Christmas cards but I still like to spoil DS18 and buy yummy food, I won’t cut down on that!
Apr 98..Quality Inn, Dec 2004...hotel Cheyenne, may 2006...Emerald Island, Mar 2013..Regal Palms / AKL / Rosen Inn / HRH, Oct 14..Cypress Pointe, July 2016 Newport bay club, Aug 2016 magic med cruise, Aug 2017 SSR/Rosen pointe/HRH, Aug 19 Northern Europe Disney magic, Dec 2019...Sequoia Lodge, Xmas 2021 Rosen Plaza/HRH, May 2022 POFQ/HRH, May 2023 Disneyland LA.

Edited at 05:23 PM.
danisleigh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Nov 19, 05:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Princess Ariel
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by katiec68 View Post
I feel ya
My DH family are great but my ex's family were dreadful - Bonmarche knickers for me one year

Last year I put £100 in my sisters account for them (2ad 2ch) and she gave my parents £30 for them and the 2 of us to buy the xmas wine!
Me and DH are good earners but my sis earns what we do combined!
Omg I honestly can’t believe the nerve of some so called family lol 😂 I read my post back and thought it may have sounded bitter which I didn’t intend it to be but like you it’s been going on years...one year I got a scarf with the £1 Oxfam tag still on it and another year a black skirt in a carrier bag in a size 14 from MIL (I’m a size 8! ).
I’ve let it go because I’m generally too nice but this year enough is enough and I don’t see why I should be spending my hard earned money on people who blatantly make a point of showing me I’m not liked lol 😂
Princess Ariel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Nov 19, 05:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Wozi
Imagineer

We’ve cut down over the years with my husband’s family, as the majority of the gifts we received were tat, we’ve had out of date chocolates, the children have received gifts aimed at a 7 year old when they’ve been in their teens, the list is endless.
This year though, I’ve told our children (21 & 17) that as well as their switch games which have been pre-ordered they’ll be getting £100 each to spend on what they like. DD has decided she wants hers put in the bank ready for our 2020 floriday, I think DS will do the same.
Food wise, I’ll cut down on sweets/biscuits, alcohol etc, as I tend to end up taking any leftover sweets/biscuits into work.
Also for the past couple of years I’ve stopped going out on the work Christmas night out. It just gets so expensive with anything from £40 up for the meal, then taxi’s, drinks and I’ll usually buy some new clothing item or accessory. I’d rather spend that time and money with my family rather than work colleagues who get drunk!

Edited at 05:54 PM.
Wozi is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Nov 19, 05:58 PM  
Link to this Post
sammykitten
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mickey house View Post
I urge people who feel the need to cut back, to not cut back on sending real Christmas cards. Anyone who sends me an email Christmas 'card' will get me hitting the delete button within one nano second. How can an email with a picture be a card (what a liberty).
I know this comes up every year, but not everyone feels that way. I do send real cards, to my relatives who I know appreciate and "expect" a card.

I honestly couldn't care less for receiving a real card. They generally get put in a pile and if I can be bothered I'll string them up with my other christmas decorations, but if I can't be bothered they'll stay in the pile.
My Grandad (talking over 30 years ago now) stopped sending christmas cards and put a message in the local paper instead.
sammykitten is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Nov 19, 06:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Princess Ariel
Imagineer

Mobile

Our work Christmas night out is costing £48 this year, I wasn’t going to go but I’m new to the team and didn’t want to look antisocial. It does include a 3 course meal and all drinks (although I don’t drink alcohol lol) and I’ll get DH to drop me off and pick me up. I’m resisting the urge to buy a new outfit to keep the costs down lol 😂
Princess Ariel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Nov 19, 06:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Em4owen
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

I'm trying to cut back in order to have less of an impact on the environment. Last year we bought the boys second hand bikes and I donated to homeless charities rather than send Christmas cards. I'm thinking of buying experiences rather than presents this year and we're looking on selling sites for toys the boys would like, so they are secondhand. I do love Christmas and its traditions but as I get older, I've realised how much people waste and overindulge.
Old 2 Nov 19, 06:17 PM  
Link to this Post
CRUELLA
Imagineer

Loved reading this thread! Whether you buy a little or lots what’s important is to have the Christmas you want with what’s important to you and not to feel under pressure to anything other than spending it the way you want to!

My mum always try’s to fill me a bag of all sorts of random things some of which I won’t ever use! It’s such a waste !

I always feel like I should do the same(this is my own doing not hers) but actually this year I am just going to buy just one nice gift no bag filling ! It has little to do with the cost of it for me it’s more the headache of finding things!

I’m going to do the same with my boys 19,16,7 one main gift the rest will be clothing a few toiletries practical things that will not be wasted!

I have bought so many ‘stocking fillers and novelty gifts’ over the years and they really are such a waste.the same with food .i want to be more mindful of these this year and I actually think our Christmas will be better for this xx

Edited at 06:19 PM.
CRUELLA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Nov 19, 07:13 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsBC
VIP Dibber

MrsBC's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 11
Restaurant Reviews: 50

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 10
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by DisneyDaffodil View Post
we are reducing our waste. I do like our parcels wrapped but I’m going to look into any way to reduce paper waste so I’m not sure how we will wrap the parcels this year. I guess by buying less, I will be packing less so that’s going to help reduce the paper waste too.
I've bought some of the nice supermarket reusable shoppers with Disney pictures (Toy Story, Lion King, Pooh etc) on that they can use all year round rather than Xmas bags and it will also be a little extra on their present.
DCL Magic, DCL Wish
BOOKED - Beach Club Villas Sept '24, Disney Treasure & POR Sept '25
TRIP REPORT INDEX
www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=835984
MrsBC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Nov 19, 07:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I’m another who buys Christmas supermarket bags rather than gift bags, they are usually not more than a pound and are sturdy and have much more room. I feel pleased that I got 5 presents in Sainsburys today, chocs, biscuits and beers but it’s a start. I told me kids £200 each and that is cutting back, my dd got white dms last year that cost loads and have hardly been on her feet because they hurt. I won’t buy any stocking filler type rubbish that’s going to end up in the bin! That’s me cutting back