Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 3 Nov 19, 02:34 PM  
Link to this Post
vampiress88
Imagineer

Cross about school clothes

My kids are changing schools going from red to blue uniform. I was told that we have to have the logo on the new blue uniforms. This wasn’t ever needed at my old school could just buy from Asda.

So I went to the embroidery place the school used and it was the man who owns/works there. Said they couldn’t show me anything but the jumper that was there in same colour but different uniform.
I explained my kids only like the cardigans, they don’t like jumpers or any kind of fleece things. Not a problem. I can either buy my own and get the embroidery for £5 or get both from them for £10. Thought I would save myself a job and get it all from them. I asked about sizes as he only had bigger ones that were jumpers to show me. He said standard sizes like in the supermarkets.

So I have ordered, they said they needed a week. Ordered on 23rd. By Friday I still hadn’t heard so I sent a message as they use Facebook and no one was answering phone, said they were playing catch up as been away and can I do it Sunday. No problem I though the shop is only 1 mile away.

Get to today and I send a message at 8. No response. Another at 11. Here back at 11.50 to say can you come 12.15-12.30. No problem I thought only to be told it’s at the shop 10miles away.
Annoyed but need to get on with it. They start school tomorrow.

I get there and the cardigans aren’t as I though. They are the buttoned up version of the jumpers that are lined with fleece. They are also massive. My 5 year old looks better in the age 3-4 one.

I would have taken them to try some on if they had actually had some I could have. They only open 9.30-3 during the week which meant I would have had to take them out of school.

I feel bamboozeled. I feel like it’s my own fault for not double checking everything and it’s all paid and embroidered to that school so no way I can take them back. I did say it to them in the shop this was not what I wanted. She said knitted cardigans are more expensive and that school never uses those kind.

The kids are going to look stupid in oversize cardigans. I am seething at it all.

This is what I wanted and I should have bought them and got the embroidered rather than trusting them.

Georgia not happy and the sleeves are tucked under on both kids.

Don’t think there is anything I can do. I’ve bought 4 so wasted £40. Just need to rant.

Edited at 03:10 PM.
vampiress88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Nov 19, 02:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Mel49
Imagineer

Mel49's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
I would have expected the shop to have stock to show you the sizing as kids sizes vary so much even if the same age group but maybe because peak season is passed they don't have the stock. Your girls will grow into them eventually so not a total waste of money but I would maybe mention the poor service to the school if that's the place they recommend. Given the colour I imagine it will be unlikely that your local Asda will have them in stock so I would just order them and once they arrive arrange to get the logo put on. Let the girls wear their old one's meantime and just let the teacher know there was a mix up in sizes and they'll be in the correct uniform as soon as possible.

I must admit I've been lucky as our local schools do not insist on logo's on anything so have never had the problem.

Hopefully the girls will enjoy their first day at their new school anyway.

Edited at 03:01 PM.
Mel49 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Nov 19, 03:03 PM  
Link to this Post
choccielover
Imagineer

Mobile

Gosh don’t get me started on school uniforms, our cardigans are £26 each 🤦

I think it’s poor they didn’t have sample sizes for you to try on, but as mel49 says, they will eventually grow into them. Annoying you have to order more now though, I’m sure school will be relaxed for a week or so and understand if it takes you time to get it sorted

Also - I’d be wary of posting images clearly showing my children’s school, you might want to cover that bit up, makes you slightly more easily findable IRL
choccielover is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Nov 19, 03:11 PM  
Link to this Post
vampiress88
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by choccielover View Post
Gosh don’t get me started on school uniforms, our cardigans are £26 each 🤦

I think it’s poor they didn’t have sample sizes for you to try on, but as mel49 says, they will eventually grow into them. Annoying you have to order more now though, I’m sure school will be relaxed for a week or so and understand if it takes you time to get it sorted

Also - I’d be wary of posting images clearly showing my children’s school, you might want to cover that bit up, makes you slightly more easily findable IRL
Yes I forgot about that. How utterly stupid of me. ≈≈≈
vampiress88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Nov 19, 03:17 PM  
Link to this Post
vampiress88
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Mel49 View Post
I would have expected the shop to have stock to show you the sizing as kids sizes vary so much even if the same age group but maybe because peak season is passed they don't have the stock. Your girls will grow into them eventually so not a total waste of money but I would maybe mention the poor service to the school if that's the place they recommend. Given the colour I imagine it will be unlikely that your local Asda will have them in stock so I would just order them and once they arrive arrange to get the logo put on. Let the girls wear their old one's meantime and just let the teacher know there was a mix up in sizes and they'll be in the correct uniform as soon as possible.

I must admit I've been lucky as our local schools do not insist on logo's on anything so have never had the problem.

Hopefully the girls will enjoy their first day at their new school anyway.
There were in red before so I don’t have anything else they can wear. It’s a little embroidery place so they have a few items but most you have to order. It’s basically a work shop in the bottom of a house with machines and it’s all cash or Paypal.
Yes I will say something to school. Tesco used to also do the embroidery but they have since closed that.
These are the smallest size on my youngest so unless I order from somewhere else and get them to embroidery I don’t know.

Really I just want to take them back.
I have been clear with the person how I feel and they have just said they are sorry I feel like that and that there are pictures on their face which there are. Of the jumpers. Not the “cardigans”

I’m panicking about them going to a new school and trying not to show it but stuff like this makes me feel awful. I don’t want them to be picked on or anything and I just want to make sure everything is right
Old 3 Nov 19, 03:23 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

AHH your little girls are so cute. Yes put them aside for later or let oldest one wear the little one. I would tell the school what's happened and give yourself some time to source them on line.
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Nov 19, 03:25 PM  
Link to this Post

You haven’t got what you ordered, I would have not accepted them. Could you take them back now abc get to Asda to buy plain ones?
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Nov 19, 03:54 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

Surely if those are the uniform then that’s what everyone will be wearing and if they have Asda ones they will stand out?

Can your older daughter wear the smaller cardigan ?
BevS97 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Nov 19, 03:58 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

My dd started school in a huge cardigan. I never gave it a second though to be honest. I thought it was cute.
BevS97 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Nov 19, 04:23 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

I must admit I always bought bigger sizes for our children for primary/junior school. They grew so quickly and official clothing was so expensive, I made sure I had full value of them. I also handed down son 1’s clothes to son 2.

By secondary school, they were more fussy and wanted things to fit so I would buy the right size. I still handed down if the clothes were in a good condition though.

Op, I would perhaps order new for your youngest and put your eldest in the one that your youngest is wearing. That way you are only buying 2 new ones instead of 4, plus you have the two larger ones ready for when your eldest grows out of the current one.

I would mention it to the school that you weren’t happy and that the shop they recommend didn’t have any available to try before you ordered. Hopefully they will then contact the shop so they can correct this before next year.

I also think your girls look gorgeous in the uniform though 😀
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List