Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 14 Oct 19, 09:18 AM  
Link to this Post
fileyboy
Surfing at Typhoon Lagoon

Mobile Food waste guilt

Anyone else feel pangs of guilt by the amount of wasted food that seems to be exacerbated by DDP I can’t help sometimes feeling are we just ordering to try and use very last credit so we feel we have got our money’s worth from the dining plan.
fileyboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 19, 10:42 AM  
Link to this Post
dizzymum23
Proud to wear my Ears

We don't tend to have much waste, we tend to share our Disney meals knowing that they are a good size and fortunately now they don't give dessert you are able to have it later when you fancy it using a snack
dizzymum23 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 19, 11:55 AM  
Link to this Post
may
Apprentice Imagineer

may's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 10
I agree with you completely in more general terms although we haven't done full dining plan for about ten years.We used to find that we often really didn't want the dessert that originally accompanied the quick service meal . My dad actually had one occasion where the lady at the till insisted and he ended up trying to give it away in the queue. I think getting rid of the QS dessert and adding a snack credit was a great idea.
We find that portion sizes offsite vary from sensible to enormous and unless you have been to a restaurant before you don't know what to expect. Our Hash House a Go Go experience was a little spoiled by awareness of how much food we had wasted fro their mammoth portions.
may is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 19, 12:00 PM  
Link to this Post
dx4100
Imagineer

I think what we do day to day in our normal lives has a far greater impact than our 14 days on holiday.

When you consider how restaurants operate and how much food they waste regardless of your choices then its less of something to worry about I feel.

You can ask for smaller portions and skip the desert if you want.. In the background though that food would still have been prepared (to some extent) and will probably just end up chucked anyway.

I wouldn't over think it and enjoy your holiday. Just do what your can in your day to day life I think back home.

Edited at 12:13 PM.
dx4100 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 19, 12:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Ridersmom
Imagineer

I have the same issue so I have never done a dining plan. I always have my DD on trips and we split meals so there is less waste. If the meal is smaller than expected, we may have a snack later.
Ridersmom is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Oct 19, 06:51 PM  
Link to this Post

we were very careful what we ordered but it was evident from other peoples plates how much food is wasted ,however think we were more disgusted by the amount of plastic & other waste associated with our meals. Was somewhat ironic & really disppointing after listening to the environmental messages in Epcot (particularly seeing living on the land which was promoting such good work)and on the safari at animal kingdom. With so many visitors,& employing such creative designers, I think it is a wasted opportunity for Disney to promote aspects of sustainable tourism. That said we have family in north Carolina who were banned from hanging their washing outside by their home association & had to use a tumble drier, I know its a national problem!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Oct 19, 07:04 PM  
Link to this Post
disney332
Imagineer

Once you place your order, the whole plate is immediate waste, eaten or not.

To avoid waste don't order.

Disney332
Old 15 Oct 19, 07:15 PM  
Link to this Post
mickeyspal
Imagineer

Mobile

The ddp is nothing compared to the food waste on a cruise. Thats appalling you see people in the buffet piling their plates high, with 6 or 7 cakes on another plate and they leave most of it
mickeyspal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Oct 19, 07:31 PM  
Link to this Post
dx4100
Imagineer

Originally Posted by cls123 View Post
we were very careful what we ordered but it was evident from other peoples plates how much food is wasted ,however think we were more disgusted by the amount of plastic & other waste associated with our meals. Was somewhat ironic & really disppointing after listening to the environmental messages in Epcot (particularly seeing living on the land which was promoting such good work)and on the safari at animal kingdom. With so many visitors,& employing such creative designers, I think it is a wasted opportunity for Disney to promote aspects of sustainable tourism. That said we have family in north Carolina who were banned from hanging their washing outside by their home association & had to use a tumble drier, I know its a national problem!
The USA have a tremendous issue with their use of plastic
dx4100 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 19, 09:54 PM  
Link to this Post
scoobydooby
VIP Dibber

Mobile

You are right OP loads of waste. We’ve now had the dining plan free probably 7 times and we only order what we will eat. The plastic waste is truly shocking.