Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 15 May 22, 04:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Cableguy
I want to go now!

Melbourne car hire

Hi all
Has anyone picked up a full size SUV using Alamo from Melbourne? Just wondering what the types available are and whether or not there using older vehicles here due to airport being smaller. Thanks
Cableguy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 May 22, 05:30 PM  
Link to this Post
garryboy11
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Cableguy View Post
Hi all
Has anyone picked up a full size SUV using Alamo from Melbourne? Just wondering what the types available are and whether or not there using older vehicles here due to airport being smaller. Thanks
Following (although I’m with Avis). General chat seems to be that full size suvs are thin on the ground so expect vehicles with higher mileage than normal
garryboy11 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 May 22, 08:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Ram1500
Earning More Ears

I’ve also have a full size SUV booked with Alamo from Melbourne. Booked for July. When do you go?
Ram1500 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 May 22, 09:02 PM  
Link to this Post
WDocW
Very Serious Dibber

We go a week on Friday and have a Full Size SUV which I think is with Avis (don't ask... Booked a package and the tour operator has changed the car hire provider 3 times) so I'll certainly post an update as to what was around in the lot when we arrive.

I think with MLB being a small airport it will be a case of you get what you're given, but Avis seem to be mainly Tahoes which would suit me fine, I like a nice woofly V8
WDocW is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 May 22, 09:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Innocenti
Animal Kingdom Lodge Guest

Originally Posted by WDocW View Post
I think with MLB being a small airport it will be a case of you get what you're given, but Avis seem to be mainly Tahoes which would suit me fine, I like a nice woofly V8
Am I being naive thinking if the car you've booked will be allocated to you and, if not one freely available on-site, one would be delivered there ready for you?
Old 15 May 22, 10:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Cableguy
I want to go now!

Originally Posted by Ram1500 View Post
I’ve also have a full size SUV booked with Alamo from Melbourne. Booked for July. When do you go?
We go end of July
Cableguy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 May 22, 07:06 AM  
Link to this Post
WDocW
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Innocenti View Post
Am I being naive thinking if the car you've booked will be allocated to you and, if not one freely available on-site, one would be delivered there ready for you?
I think it's a case of they know what's booked each day and try to logistically accommodate it by anticipating what's getting brought back in and having a few more cars brought in from other nearby depots.

Generally with most companies they will either give you the class you've booked or the next one up if that's not available (e.g. we have had Full Size SUV with Alamo 3 times and each time we have been given the next grade up). If the worst came to the worst and they only had a downgrade available I'd probably negotiate with them to swap it out with an upgrade from a bigger depot in Orlando the next day.

They tried it on once at MCO with an Expedition which had over 60k on the clock that was quite frankly completely goosed so I declined it and lo and behold a brand new one appeared. I find the polite but firm approach works most times.

Looking at our dates even though it's only 11 days til we go availability seems fine so I'm hoping we are OK. I'll try and get some photos of the lot if my family will allow me to!
WDocW is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 May 22, 09:39 AM  
Link to this Post
Ram1500
Earning More Ears

Originally Posted by Cableguy View Post
We go end of July
Similar time to us. Fly out 20th July for 3 weeks.

Looking at availability no more SUVs available to hoping I get what I requested. Hoping for a Tahoe or GMC Yukon.
Ram1500 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 May 22, 10:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Maret
Earning More Ears

Booked intermediate SUV Alamo from Melbourne, we fly 25th June
Maret is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 22, 04:31 PM  
Link to this Post
whelley wigan
Excited about Disney

We've hired a full size SUV from Alamo (via Andy at DCH). We land on the 3rd July so will let you know about availability/our experience.

Equally if anyone is there before then please feel free to let us know.

I suspect there won't be any choice and worse there may be none available as you can't book a full size suv for our sates any more. It could mean a quick trip to MCO when we've got a spare hour or so. Alternatively fingers crossed for an upgrade!