Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 19 Jun 22, 08:15 AM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

New York Attractions - timings

Wondering if anyone can help with my New York itinerary - mainly timings really.

We land in New York on Friday afternoon, then have Saturday and Sunday there before leaving on Monday.

Plan on getting tickets for:

Statue of Liberty Pedestal
One World Observatory
Empire State Building

Thinking of going to the Statue of Liberty on the Saturday morning.
Is 9am too early? We need to get there from Midtown.

Then thought we’d go to One World Observatory after. What time would you aim for to visit there?

Then probably Empire State Building the day after on the Sunday. Hopefully in the evening.

Any top tips on visiting New York with two grumpy teens? Took DS13 to Leeds yesterday - holiday clothes shopping. It felt like a punishment for us all!😂
Rac20 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 22, 08:25 AM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Rac20 View Post
Wondering if anyone can help with my New York itinerary - mainly timings really.

We land in New York on Friday afternoon, then have Saturday and Sunday there before leaving on Monday.

Plan on getting tickets for:

Statue of Liberty Pedestal
One World Observatory
Empire State Building

Thinking of going to the Statue of Liberty on the Saturday morning.
Is 9am too early? We need to get there from Midtown.

Then thought we’d go to One World Observatory after. What time would you aim for to visit there?

Then probably Empire State Building the day after on the Sunday. Hopefully in the evening.

Any top tips on visiting New York with two grumpy teens? Took DS13 to Leeds yesterday - holiday clothes shopping. It felt like a punishment for us all!😂
The first ferry to the Statue of Liberty was 8.30. We arrived at 8am for our 9am ticket. We had crown tickets and finished there at about 1pm ish. There is a lot to look at and we could have spent all day in the museum. We went for lunch and straight to One World observatory mid afternoon.

Empire State Building. We checked the sunset times and timed it to go about a half hour before. We then saw the skyline in the day time, sunset and the night sky.

No advice about grumpy kids except maybe shop online ! Make plenty of stops, involve them in planning and let them choose places to go and maybe a bit of bribery.

We were all up so early, leaving the hotel no later than 7am every day and then we were in bed for 9 !

Have a great time in New York.
Smilesonfaces is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 22, 09:39 AM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Smilesonfaces View Post
The first ferry to the Statue of Liberty was 8.30. We arrived at 8am for our 9am ticket. We had crown tickets and finished there at about 1pm ish. There is a lot to look at and we could have spent all day in the museum. We went for lunch and straight to One World observatory mid afternoon.

Empire State Building. We checked the sunset times and timed it to go about a half hour before. We then saw the skyline in the day time, sunset and the night sky.

No advice about grumpy kids except maybe shop online ! Make plenty of stops, involve them in planning and let them choose places to go and maybe a bit of bribery.

We were all up so early, leaving the hotel no later than 7am every day and then we were in bed for 9 !

Have a great time in New York.
That’s helpful. Thanks.👍🏻
Rac20 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 22, 06:48 PM  
Link to this Post
scottish mama
VIP Dibber

I know you’re intending going to the One Observatory but if you’re down at that end of Manhattan anyway and have the time, you could always go to the 9/11 memorial pools as well. I can understand if you may not want to go into the museum but this is an incredibly moving memorial.
You could then walk up to Wall Street and see the bull (your son may be entertained by the thought of tickling its bits-for good fortune apparently!)

On the Sunday you could go to Grand Central Station as well as the ESB. You could also pop into Central Park first as I think there’s a play park (Heckscher Playground) quite near the entrance at Columbus Circle, and the carousel is not far from that either. All depends on your energy and where you’re staying. We’re staying at the New York Hilton Midtown so will be close to CP, and as we all want to see something different there, we’re going to take a picnic and spend most of the day there.
We did TOTR at dusk so got to see bit day and night views, which was magical and saw the ESB all lit up.

I think you fly out the day we fly in (July 25th?) so looking forward to hearing how you get on
scottish mama is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 22, 07:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Originally Posted by scottish mama View Post
I know you’re intending going to the One Observatory but if you’re down at that end of Manhattan anyway and have the time, you could always go to the 9/11 memorial pools as well. I can understand if you may not want to go into the museum but this is an incredibly moving memorial.
You could then walk up to Wall Street and see the bull (your son may be entertained by the thought of tickling its bits-for good fortune apparently!)

On the Sunday you could go to Grand Central Station as well as the ESB. You could also pop into Central Park first as I think there’s a play park (Heckscher Playground) quite near the entrance at Columbus Circle, and the carousel is not far from that either. All depends on your energy and where you’re staying. We’re staying at the New York Hilton Midtown so will be close to CP, and as we all want to see something different there, we’re going to take a picnic and spend most of the day there.
We did TOTR at dusk so got to see bit day and night views, which was magical and saw the ESB all lit up.

I think you fly out the day we fly in (July 25th?) so looking forward to hearing how you get on
Hi, Thanks for taking the time to reply. DS13 would probably find the bull hilarious. I didn’t know tickling its bits was a thing. 😂

We’re also staying at the Hilton Midtown so will definitely have a wander to Central Park. There’s so much to do and so little time.

We had thought about the 9/11 museum but DH thought it might not be appropriate for our youngest. We have taken him to Hiroshima before but he was a lot younger and the significance of it
all went over his head.

I’ll update how we get on. 👍🏻
Old 19 Jun 22, 07:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Princess Ariel
Imagineer

Oh grumpy teens I have experience with! I dread holidays now as my 14 old DS is unimpressed with absolutely anything and everything! And don’t even get me started if he actually has to get dressed and leave the house for any reason 😂
Princess Ariel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 22, 07:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Princess Ariel View Post
Oh grumpy teens I have experience with! I dread holidays now as my 14 old DS is unimpressed with absolutely anything and everything! And don’t even get me started if he actually has to get dressed and leave the house for any reason 😂
I know! Loads of people always ask for advice about visiting Disney with toddlers. I think back to when we went on holiday when they were little and think it was a breeze compared to now. 😂
Old 24 Jun 22, 06:59 PM  
Link to this Post
floridafan101
Very Serious Dibber

floridafan101's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
We are flying into NY for 3 nights in August then hiring a car and off to Chicago with our grumpy DS13 and DS14. It’s our 3rd time and the boys are really looking forward to going they have loved NY. $1 pizza slices, hiring bikes in Central Park, walking the Brooklyn Bridge, The Ride, ESB favourite skyscraper to go up. Heading to Coney Island this time, Summit, Broadway show and the Edge. They know it will be early mornings to make the most of the 2 full days we have there and they say they’re ok with that….now! 😂

2006 1st trip to Florida 2008 The return 2009 Its Florida again 2010 Florida again! 2011 Yes! Florida 2013 Florida please! 2015 Back to Florida 2016 California! 2017 New York (and beyond) 2018 East Coast Road Trip 2019 Florida one last time ... again!
floridafan101 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jun 22, 08:25 PM  
Link to this Post
scottish mama
VIP Dibber

My 2 were 11 and 14 when we went last time (6years ago) and although hardest thing was getting DS14 out of bed, they absolutely loved NY and have been asking to go back ever since. They just couldn’t believe they were actually there and thought it was just like the movies/tv. We did a little bit of Central Park, Staten Island ferry, High Line, walked Brooklyn Bridge tonWall St and 9/11 museum (asked DD 11 if she wanted to do and was reluctant as first then said she owed it to the people of NY to see it. We looked at the positives of their resilience in overcoming such an attack. Did TOTR at dusk, Grand Central Station, Ellen’s Stardust Diner etc.

Yes, it’s a lot of walking, but there’s something that you recognise to see everywhere around you, and there is food everywhere that you can bribe them with, especially $1 pizza.
I’m sure they’ll be fine once you get there, though be prepared to be in bed by 9pm!
scottish mama is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jun 22, 08:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Thank you. Hopefully, they’ll be blown away by all there is to see. 😬😅