Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 23 Jun 22, 07:54 AM  
Link to this Post
LISAM
Imagineer

Driving offence - Esta

A workmates boyfriend has been charged with dangerous driving. They have florida booked for September. Will they have to cancel as he wouldn’t have time to change esta? Or does he need to do anything with esta yet before court date? It might be a while before it reaches court.
Old 23 Jun 22, 08:35 AM  
Link to this Post
cartoonp
VIP Dibber

cartoonp's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 14

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 45
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by LISAM View Post
A workmates boyfriend has been charged with dangerous driving. They have florida booked for September. Will they have to cancel as he wouldn’t have time to change esta? Or does he need to do anything with esta yet before court date? It might be a while before it reaches court.
Just did a search here what it came up with

ESTA Application for Those Who Have Traffic Offence
In case of infliction of serious harm upon others or serious damage upon government authorities' assets by traffic offence and drunken driving must answer “Yes”.

And a bit more

What would stop me getting an ESTA?
Crimes against the person such as murder, manslaughter, rape, gross indecency, serious assaults, kidnapping. Crimes against property such as arson, burglary, theft, robbery, fraud, receiving stolen property. Crimes against government authority such as benefit fraud, tax evasion, bribery, perjury.

Edited at 08:36 AM.
cartoonp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 22, 08:45 AM  
Link to this Post
loves2plan
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by cartoonp View Post
Just did a search here what it came up with

ESTA Application for Those Who Have Traffic Offence
In case of infliction of serious harm upon others or serious damage upon government authorities' assets by traffic offence and drunken driving must answer “Yes”.

And a bit more

What would stop me getting an ESTA?
Crimes against the person such as murder, manslaughter, rape, gross indecency, serious assaults, kidnapping. Crimes against property such as arson, burglary, theft, robbery, fraud, receiving stolen property. Crimes against government authority such as benefit fraud, tax evasion, bribery, perjury.
I don't think that's actually a question on the current ESTA form, so could be a bit misleading. There have been changes over the years.

Personally, I wouldn't do anything and just keep the existing ESTA. The US don't have access to our criminal files and can only have access when requested through the proper channels when they believe there may be a threat to the country. A driving offence is not such a threat, IMO.

Are you hiring a car, as that may be more of an issue?

POFQ: Our 'once in a lifetime' trip, 31.10 - 14.11.12
SSR: 40th birthday trip, 02 - 16.01.14
SSR 2 bed villa: my mums first trip, 07 - 21.02.15
POR: An unexpected Easter break, 02 - 15.04.16
CBR: Another unexpected Easter trip, 29.03 - 12.04.17
CBR: 18th birthday surprise trip, 21.10 - 4.11.19
CBR & CBBR 3 week WDW & US, 05 - 27.09.22

Easter QSDP food report April 17

2nd Easter QSDP food report, Oct 19
loves2plan is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 22, 08:50 AM  
Link to this Post
loves2plan
VIP Dibber

These are the current questions. The 2nd one could be the only issue if he applied again, but it depends if he caused any damage with his driving. I'd still just keep the current ESTA, but that's just my opinion.

Do you have a mental or physical disorder? Are you a drug addict? Do you currently have any of the following communicable diseases: Active Tuberculosis, Cholera, Plague, Smallpox, Yellow Fever, Diphtheria, Infectious Leprosy, Gonorrhea, Viral Hemorrhagic Fevers, or Severe acute respiratory sickness that can be transmitted to other people and result in mortality?

Have you ever been convicted or arrested for a crime that resulted in serious harm to another person, severe damage to properties, or government authority?

Have you ever violated any law relating to the use, possessing, and distribution of illegal drugs?
Have you ever engaged in any terrorist activities, sabotage, espionage, or genocide?

Have you ever misrepresented yourself or others or committed fraud to obtain or help others obtain an entry or visa into the United States?

Were you previously employed in the US without prior permission of the United States government? Are you currently seeking employment in the United States?

Have you ever been denied a visa to the US? Has your application for admission ever been withdrawn at any US port of entry?

Have you ever stayed in the US longer than the agreed-upon admission period granted by the United States government?

Have you ever traveled to Iran, Iraq, Syria, Sudan, Somalia, Yemen, or Libya on or after 1st March 2011?

POFQ: Our 'once in a lifetime' trip, 31.10 - 14.11.12
SSR: 40th birthday trip, 02 - 16.01.14
SSR 2 bed villa: my mums first trip, 07 - 21.02.15
POR: An unexpected Easter break, 02 - 15.04.16
CBR: Another unexpected Easter trip, 29.03 - 12.04.17
CBR: 18th birthday surprise trip, 21.10 - 4.11.19
CBR & CBBR 3 week WDW & US, 05 - 27.09.22

Easter QSDP food report April 17

2nd Easter QSDP food report, Oct 19

Edited at 09:30 AM. Reason: Typo
loves2plan is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 22, 09:01 AM  
Link to this Post
Jakey Neverland
Imagineer

As above it depends if he damaged anything or anyone.
Old 23 Jun 22, 09:35 AM  
Link to this Post
casper_gutman
Helping Minnie

Originally Posted by Jakey Neverland View Post
As above it depends if he damaged anything or anyone.
..and whether the damage was at the level that it should be considered "serious" or "severe". There are many shades of grey here!
casper_gutman is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 22, 09:48 AM  
Link to this Post
Softy
Imagineer

He doesn’t need to apply again. It’s only a conundrum when he has to renew it.
Softy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 22, 03:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Concerned
slightly serious Dibber

Not an issue in my view, unless someone was seriously hurt. However it could be a problem if he has hired a car from Orlando - not sure.

Edited at 03:20 PM.
Concerned is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 22, 03:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Gabsnoot
Imagineer

I was convicted of Dangerous Driving (DD40) in 2018 and have travelled on an ESTA since without issue. There was no other party involved and no one was hurt in my case.

I have found, over the last few years that Driving convictions appear to be in a different category to other ‘criminal’ convictions for some things, so this is possibly the case for an ESTA too.

The only aspect of his holiday it should affect is the ability to hire a car for the next 4 or 5 years.

Edited at 04:00 PM.
Gabsnoot is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 22, 04:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Softy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Gabsnoot View Post
I was convicted of Dangerous Driving (DD40) in 2018 and have travelled on an ESTA since without issue. There was no other party involved and no one was hurt in my case.

I have found, over the last few years that Driving convictions appear to be in a different category to other ‘criminal’ convictions for some things, so this is possibly the case for an ESTA too.

The only aspect of his holiday it should affect is the ability to hire a car for the next 4 or 5 years.
It’s not really in another category for an esta. You’ve been fine to travel on an esta because they’re not privy to any info on you. You answered no to the right questions so you’re good to go.

Edited at 04:25 PM.
Softy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List