Notices
Tickets Theme Park Ticket questions and advice

Old 27 Jan 21, 10:54 AM  
Link to this Post
phi2012
Excited about Disney

14 day universal tickets to annual passes... Benefits and cost?

Hi everyone,
Looking at doing Disney and universal (along side a cruise) in Aug 2022.
Was wanting some advise on universal tickets.
We will likely be staying a week at the new dockside Inn and suites at end of aug, and we're thinking about buying 14 day tickets here, then potentially upgrading just one ticket to an annual pass to get the discounts on food and merchandise. We won't be using the annual pass for another trip, purely for the discounts.
As a family of 5, I've worked out food and drinks (non alcoholic) will likely cost about £1000 for that week, so wondering what the price difference is to upgrade one ticket to an annual pass that gives me discount on food and gifts. And what we'd roughly save is it worth it?
Know I won't save on accomodation parking with it, as free parking is only on the parks right?
Just trying to budget all our options.
Thanks 👍
phi2012 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 21, 01:18 PM  
Link to this Post
gismo1554
Imagineer

You're right free parking is only at the parks. There are however different levels of Annual Passes and the base one doesn't give you discounts so I'm not sure the cost to upgrade as we did the base one (were going for 2 trips). I think its around $400 for the one that gives discounts so I guess you could estimate it as the difference between 14 day ticket and this price approx. Also only 1 of you would need to do this so if you can find out how much the discount is then you could estimate the price you would save. You however also can get a discount on Universal sometimes too with an AP so might be worth checking whether buying in advance would be useful for this (Again you only need 1 of you to have the AP)
Old 28 Jan 21, 05:08 PM  
Link to this Post
chmurf
Imagineer

As per the poster above, you'll need a power or preferred AP to get those discounts, and disount level will vary

To be very basic, you'll get an average of 15% (mix of 10 & 20% discounts) on your food and merch

if you estimate you'll spend £1000 this will save you £150

so any quote for the upgrade that's more than £150 will not allow you to break even.

See, just do some research on restaurant prices, merch prices, get closer to a realistic figure for your party, and you'll have a saving amount you'll be able to compare to the price you're quoted. (make sure the level of AP gets you that kind of discount)

also consider that a 3 parks ticket will require you to uppgrade to a 3 parks AP, even if you don't fancy going to VB
chmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List