Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 28 May 20, 08:19 AM  
Link to this Post
Bazinga 39
Imagineer

Thanks very much for replies got some great info, can’t wait to see it all😀
Bazinga 39 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 20, 09:44 AM  
Link to this Post
fiona88
Excited about Disney

Being right in the park is so useful, if you do stay outside make sure you get in very early and avoid the obvious car parks as parking is limited, especially on weekends. We stayed in housekeeping camp inside the park for 2 nights and could park beside our tent unit, we also stayed at autocamp Yosemite about an hour out of the park and it was so much easier just getting up and wandering around or using the bus.

If you're up for hiking we did the the Vernal and Nevada falls hike which goes up the mist trail which is amazing then down the John muir trail, less interesting but quicker and no steps. However its a long day and it would really need your kids to be up for it and you all to be well prepared with decent footwear + backpacks, loads of water + food, I think we took 2l each up there in September. Otherwise you can do the mist trail to vernal falls and come back down the same way, still a beautiful walk.
Driving up to glacier point, or I don't know if you have to get a bus in peak season. The views from there are amazing.
Don't get too excited about tunnel view, it looks cool but it's the stopping point for all coach trips and is so busy.

The Ahwahnee hotel is incredible, we had lunch there and it wasn't particularly pricey when you consider a pre-packed sandwich can be $9 in the park. Even just go for a look around.
On that note, take food with you if you can and if your accommodation permits. We had a bear locker at our tent and bought a cheap polystyrene cooler with ice at Walmart in Manteca on the way (from SFO)
Old 28 May 20, 02:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Bazinga 39
Imagineer

Originally Posted by fiona88 View Post
Being right in the park is so useful, if you do stay outside make sure you get in very early and avoid the obvious car parks as parking is limited, especially on weekends. We stayed in housekeeping camp inside the park for 2 nights and could park beside our tent unit, we also stayed at autocamp Yosemite about an hour out of the park and it was so much easier just getting up and wandering around or using the bus.

If you're up for hiking we did the the Vernal and Nevada falls hike which goes up the mist trail which is amazing then down the John muir trail, less interesting but quicker and no steps. However its a long day and it would really need your kids to be up for it and you all to be well prepared with decent footwear + backpacks, loads of water + food, I think we took 2l each up there in September. Otherwise you can do the mist trail to vernal falls and come back down the same way, still a beautiful walk.
Driving up to glacier point, or I don't know if you have to get a bus in peak season. The views from there are amazing.
Don't get too excited about tunnel view, it looks cool but it's the stopping point for all coach trips and is so busy.

The Ahwahnee hotel is incredible, we had lunch there and it wasn't particularly pricey when you consider a pre-packed sandwich can be $9 in the park. Even just go for a look around.
On that note, take food with you if you can and if your accommodation permits. We had a bear locker at our tent and bought a cheap polystyrene cooler with ice at Walmart in Manteca on the way (from SFO)
Thanks very much for that info, I’m taking notes from everyone’s replies😀
Bazinga 39 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 20, 05:47 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Hi one thing I should have said on earlier posts, when you are leaving any of populated areas be mindful to fill up. On some parts of your journey there could be quite a distance between filling station.
And the other thing to do is either take a canvas cool bag or buy a cheap box one when you arrive.
Great to have for a cool drink or snack at any viewpoint on the road trip.

Edited at 09:56 PM.
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 20, 05:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Bazinga 39
Imagineer

Originally Posted by jdouds View Post
Hi one thing I should have said on earlier posts, when you are leaving any of populated areas be mindful to fill up. On some parts of your journey there could be quite a distance between filling station.
And the other thing to do is either take a canvas cool bag or buy a cheap one box one when you arrive.
Thanks so much for those tips, I’m taking notes as I go😀
Old 28 May 20, 05:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Cloverlady
Imagineer

Originally Posted by jdouds View Post
And the other thing to do is either take a canvas cool bag or buy a cheap one box one when you arrive.
I'd second all that We even bought cheap folding chairs from Walmart and sat outside to enjoy the utter deafening silence! It really is so incredibly quiet...
Cloverlady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 20, 08:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Bazinga 39
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Cloverlady View Post
I'd second all that We even bought cheap folding chairs from Walmart and sat outside to enjoy the utter deafening silence! It really is so incredibly quiet...
Good idea👍