Notices
Weddings and Honeymoons DIBBers wedding and honeymoon planning and chat.

Closed Thread

Old 4 Nov 13, 09:50 AM  
Link to this Post
Tinkertangled
Imagineer

License by mail?

Has anyone done this is it easy? We are contemplating getting this done by mail for 2 reasons.
Firstly our DS is autistic so in the event of not getting to the courthouse first thing and there being long waits this could be a nightmare and we only have one day to do it before the wedding and secondly my passport is still in my previous married name (I have booked the holiday under that name too obviously) but I have legally changed my surname back to my maiden name and the online people have said its fine I can still apply for the license in my maiden name as they just need to see my change of name deed along with my passport.
So all sounds like a better option as I am terrified if I did it on arrival and there was an issue over the name thing I am stuck whereas if I do it by mail and there is a problem I can get a new passport and change the name on my booking in time.
I am just worried about how easy doing in via mail and if people have had problems doing it this way.
I know it's more expensive but I think for us it may be a better option.
Tinkertangled is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 13, 11:28 AM  
Link to this Post

At bravard county you can do it by mail yourself at no additional cost
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 13, 12:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkertangled
Imagineer

Originally Posted by TabZ View Post
At bravard county you can do it by mail yourself at no additional cost

Have you used them? There are loads on the internet but we had one recommended by Virgin.
Tinkertangled is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 13, 12:47 PM  
Link to this Post

People have - we don't need ours until next year Disney wedding podcast had a show about using this county and Carrie actually interviews someone that works there.

I wouldn't personally pay extra for something I can do myself x
Old 10 Nov 13, 08:19 PM  
Link to this Post
SnowWhiteGsy
Apprentice Imagineer

We did our licence by mail as we were there over a weekend at the start and didn't have time to go to the courthouse with our guests being there etc. We also didn't have a car. It does cost but it helped us. My DH wrote a post about how we did it but I cant find it at the moment sorry. Ill keep looking.
SnowWhiteGsy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 13, 08:21 PM  
Link to this Post
SnowWhiteGsy
Apprentice Imagineer

Found the post -

Hi, my fiancée and I applied for our marriage licence using an online company called Florida Marriage Licence By Mail, they were recommended to us by Carrie. It cost $200 dollars if you apply more than 90 days in advance, price changes depending on how close it is to your marriage date, you fill in a word document which you then email back with a copy of your passports. you then pay using link form their website. A few days later you are emailed various documents which you need to check through & sign in front of a Notary (they provide a link for you to find one near you) once this is complete you post the original documents back to the address supplied on the emailed letter. I then received a notification from them to say they'd received our application. The marriage licence is valid for 60 days & they for a licence which will expire a few days after wedding just in case to cover any unforeseen issues. They then post it to a destination in the USA only so I would suggest you contact your wedding coordinator to see if they are happy for the licence to be sent to them. During this process you may not hear from them for a little while but I have received updates as the various stages have been completed.
SnowWhiteGsy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Nov 13, 10:19 PM  
Link to this Post

In regards to license by mail, it is a good service for those that have circumstances where it helps them due to having special family needs, no car hire or time constraints. This service is by a private company so you pay their fee in addition to paying the fees to have your document stamped by a notary. We have heard that this notary fee in the UK can be quite expensive so I would suggest to anyone considering the service that they find out what they are going to incur.

As for obtaining a license in person, the courthouse in Kissimmee is approximately 30 minutes from Disney property and if you arrive when the courthouse opens you should be in and out within 30 minutes or less. You can download the application before you arrive to Orlando so that will save you time. There is a security point (like the airport) that often (we are told) takes longer than the actual queue for the license. The queue itself is first come first serve. You can visit the Mears website to get a taxi rate so that you can have an idea of what to expect. The quote would be one way so make sure you consider having to return + driver gratuity.

Hope this helps.
Old 20 Nov 13, 10:19 PM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread