Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 23 Aug 19, 10:36 AM  
Link to this Post
bighal
Imagineer

Using your phone as your passport.. Would you do it?

I've just seen a clip on the BBC website showing how the UK Border Force is considering using facial recognition and your phone to cut queues at immigration. Basically you just walk through a passage way lined with cameras.
bbc/news/av/techno...rt-queue-times

Would you use or trust the system if it does become available?

Next Trip Feb '24
Jun98 Apr99 Dec99 Apr00 Mar03 Jun/Jul04 Dec/Jan05/06 Jul06 Dec06 Jun/Jul08 Jun/Jul09 Jul/Aug11 Sep13 Jun/Jul14 Nov15 Sep16 Villa/BWV May18 Villa/BLT/AKL Sept19 Villa/AKL Feb/Mar20 AKL/SSR Sep22 AKL Apr/May 23 CS/CC/AKL Nov 23 SSR Feb/Mar 24 RR/BR
bighal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 19, 10:39 AM  
Link to this Post
Scaramouche
Imagineer

No! But I don’t use boarding passes on my phone either. I like to have physical copies.
Forget Regrets... Or Life Is Yours To Miss.. No Other Road, No Other Way.. No Day But Today.. ♪
Scaramouche is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 19, 10:54 AM  
Link to this Post
Kd0758
Very Serious Dibber

I’m assuming but if it’s just the UK border force surely you’d still need to take your actual passport anyway because if you’re flying abroad they may not have the technology?

I don’t see the US catching on because you’re not even allowed your phone on in the immigration hall.

I suppose it’d be good as a backup but too many things can go wrong with a phone for me to trust it 100% as my only source of being able to get home.
Kd0758 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 19, 10:55 AM  
Link to this Post
hideinpockets
Apprentice Imagineer

hideinpockets's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

I’d love this! I have my boarding pass on my phone and it’s quite irritating having to have a passport as well. I’ve actually been saying for years it would be great if we can get it on our phones etc.
hideinpockets is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 19, 12:01 PM  
Link to this Post
princessgem
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

I can’t imagine it would work too well for my OH his iPhone runs out of battery within 6 hours 😂

2015: Art of Animation + Hard Rock
princessgem is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 19, 12:02 PM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

I am so clumsy with phones - they've been dropped in the bath, dropped on the floor, run over by a car (yes really), so there's no way I'd have my Passport on one!
Old 23 Aug 19, 12:10 PM  
Link to this Post
silverfox46
Imagineer

Originally Posted by princessgem View Post
I can’t imagine it would work too well for my OH his iPhone runs out of battery within 6 hours 😂
Originally Posted by skalexander View Post
I am so clumsy with phones - they've been dropped in the bath, dropped on the floor, run over by a car (yes really), so there's no way I'd have my Passport on one!
Ladies... both your posts are so relevant to me. My phone is always on charge , even changed the battery but not much better and too tight to buy a new phone.

With one phone I fell into a lake and fully submerged with phone in pocket whilst in the Lake District. Dried it out successfully overnight 🤗 and gobsmacked it worked , only to drop it down a toilet a couple of days later 😩.
It’s a no from me then 😂
silverfox46 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 19, 12:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
NO.

several reasons. I don’t trust technology to be safe re hacking etc

I can foresee issues on the day... try using the bloody BA app for a boarding card etc. Always failing.

Lost phone, nicked phone, dropped phone , broken phone

Love technology but sometimes just because we can do something doesn’t mean we should.
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 19, 12:17 PM  
Link to this Post
cartoonp
VIP Dibber

cartoonp's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 14

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 45
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Yes but you still need passport as backup
cartoonp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 19, 12:18 PM  
Link to this Post
claireyfairy8
Apprentice Imagineer

claireyfairy8's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 6

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
I would use this for sure.

Great idea.

I use my phone for all of boarding passes etc but I do find that I'm carrying around battery packs etc. so I'd like apple to get a better battery life please!
claireyfairy8 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List