Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 12 Sep 21, 12:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Reereef
Imagineer

Reereef's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Anyone else seeing a huge price difference for 2022?

I know that there have been issues with rental car availability in the US, so was expecting a price increase…but…

BA return flights to Miami and car hire for 5 weeks in August 2021 was £2700.

The exact same for 2022 is pushing £5500. In fact, this price is for slightly less desirable flight times as well.

There is no way I’m paying double. I’ve tried looking to pick up the car elsewhere and the price is not coming up much better.

To rent the car separately from the flights, the best I can get is with FLorida car rental and that’s Sixt at £1750. Add on flights and well, I’m back up to nearly £5000.

As a teacher, my dates are not very flexible either. I’m starting to think that I may not be going to Florida for a long time. 😭

Going without a car is not an option for us as we don’t stay in Disney. We’re all about the gulf coast, keys and national parks.

Anyone else having similar problems planning their next years holiday?
Old 12 Sep 21, 12:49 PM  
Link to this Post
g1970
Imagineer

g1970's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 3
Yes.

Flights were around £500 more.

Apartment in Treasure Island had increased prices from $130 a night to $175 but has offered me it at $150.

Best price Andy can find for our car hire is £800. Its usually around £375

Part of me is questioning where i draw the line
g1970 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 21, 01:06 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

In August, yes. Definitely supply and demand issues, prices are well above what they should be. If I was trying to go then, I'd maybe consider some sort of open-jaw fare to one of the hubs (Atlanta, Dallas, etc) and pick up a cheap internal flight separately.

Then leave the car hire for prices to settle down a bit if you can't get a decent price through Andy.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 21, 02:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Reereef View Post
I know that there have been issues with rental car availability in the US, so was expecting a price increase…but…

The exact same for 2022 is pushing £5500. In fact, this price is for slightly less desirable flight times as well.

There is no way I’m paying double. I’ve tried looking to pick up the car elsewhere and the price is not coming up much better.

To rent the car separately from the flights, the best I can get is with FLorida car rental and that’s Sixt at £1750. Add on flights and well, I’m back up to nearly £5000.

As a teacher, my dates are not very flexible either. I’m starting to think that I may not be going to Florida for a long time. 😭
With 7-8 weeks off surely you have some flexibility? Flights departing on a Tuesday and Wednesday are normally much cheaper even in the summer holidays. Maybe look at Tampa too
Moorlandman is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 21, 02:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Reereef
Imagineer

Reereef's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Moorlandman View Post
With 7-8 weeks off surely you have some flexibility? Flights departing on a Tuesday and Wednesday are normally much cheaper even in the summer holidays. Maybe look at Tampa too
We ‘only’ have 5.5 weeks off next summer and we hoped to be away for 5 weeks.

Looked at Tampa. That was more expensive than Miami, which was what my £5600 quote was for ☹️

I was checking Monday to Monday though, so good shout to move it by a day or two and check those prices, thank you!
Old 12 Sep 21, 02:56 PM  
Link to this Post
steph206
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Reereef View Post

Going without a car is not an option for us as we don’t stay in Disney. We’re all about the gulf coast, keys and national parks.

Anyone else having similar problems planning their next years holiday?
My wife is a teacher, so I feel your pain. We paid £2400 this year with BA on 26th Dec, for 3 adults, 2 children and an infant. And that's a fly drive. Same party going out in July is £5.5k.

Supply and demand they say, but I think I'll pass for now.
HONEYMOON 2016 - Oasis of the Seas / Orlando, Nov 2017, July 2018/2019, Dec 2022, July 2023
steph206 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 21, 03:55 PM  
Link to this Post
kk20
Imagineer

Last week, Glasgow to MLB had flights 8th August with Tui at £700pp direct. I cant say if these have gone now.
kk20 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 21, 04:17 PM  
Link to this Post
lfc_sarah
Imagineer

Hire car prices are ridiculous.

We are waiting and hoping for them to come down.
lfc_sarah is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 21, 04:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Bellasmummy
Imagineer

Mobile

All dates I’ve looked at so far are at least double what we’ve paid before.

I’m looking at any Florida airport and am flexible with dates though they have only just be released.

I’m hoping that things might settle a bit in a few weeks. We usually book our august flights in October after watching prices closely for them to drop.
Bellasmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 21, 04:20 PM  
Link to this Post
°o°-Hannah-°o°
Imagineer

°o°-Hannah-°o°'s Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 17
Guidebook Reviews: 1
We booked last week. We’ve paid £640pp ncl-lhr-mia 26/7-17/8. Collecting hire car from Loews Miami Beach the following morning. We’ve paid £613 for 21 nights, Corolla or similar. Cost was treble from the airport.