Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 30 Sep 21, 08:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Jakey Neverland
Imagineer

There is a very good group on FB called Raw Feeding UK, lots of decent info in the files.
Old 30 Sep 21, 09:05 PM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

We’ve fed raw since 2015, after going through umpteen other foods with one of our cockers who was both fussy and had a sensitive tummy. We have never looked back, and when our youngest pup came along in 2016, she went onto raw as well.

It’s a delight to feed a meal they enjoy, rather than one which they eat to survive. Windy bums are also much reduced from the pre-raw days and parcels are much more manageable!
Old 1 Oct 21, 10:25 AM  
Link to this Post
sam7
Imagineer

I got Molly aged 6 months, she was totally hyper and being fed Beta Puppy, read this was not good food so switched to a better kibble, she calmed a bit but pooped 6 or 7 times a day - honestly more came out than went in. Tried grain free, still the same. Switched to raw and within a week we were down to 1 or 2 perfect poops, her coat was so glossy, she became really calm (but still full of energy for walks etc) - would never go back to kibble.
I even go camping in a tent without electricity and managed to take her raw food with us.
I would recommend seeing if you have a local shop, they are usually run by very knowledgeable staff only happy to help
sam7 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Oct 21, 03:27 PM  
Link to this Post
FlorayG
Imagineer

FlorayG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 9

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Guidebook Reviews: 2
I've fed a number of cats all raw for over 30 years and my vet says their teeth are the best he ever sees
there's a new all raw on the market called Nutriwolds worth looking into because it has chunks in for them to gnaw on - most bought raw food is mush
FlorayG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Oct 21, 07:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Trickytenrec
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Mobile

I work in a vets, and all the vets and vet nurses do not recommend raw food diets. However if an owner insists on feeding a raw food diet they recommend a complete company brought one rather than making it yourself as it’s easy to miss out important nutrients.
Trickytenrec is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Oct 21, 08:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Ryles
Imagineer

I swapped to raw about 2 years ago when my dog was unwell. I use paleo ridge, bulmers, Landy woods. He loves it! Poos twice a day and no smell. Recently adopted another one from Romania. She was extremely thin when she arrived. Straight onto raw and she looked unbelievable in 2 months. Sadly had a heart condition and was put to sleep last month but as far as I’m concerned raw is best!
Old 1 Oct 21, 08:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Deano
Imagineer

Deano's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
We feed our dogs raw, we did tonnes of research before doing and the benefits far outweigh any negatives.
Negatives being:-
We needed a bigger freezer
My daughter won't feed them.
Lots of Vets don't recommend raw, Lots of vets sell Kibble and have deals with manufacturers to do so...
Old 1 Oct 21, 08:45 PM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Deano View Post
We feed our dogs raw, we did tonnes of research before doing and the benefits far outweigh any negatives.
Negatives being:-
We needed a bigger freezer
My daughter won't feed them.
Lots of Vets don't recommend raw, Lots of vets sell Kibble and have deals with manufacturers to do so...
Vets sell prescription diets kibble which are by prescription only and are to support medical needs such as kidney disease etc. They don’t have ‘deals’ with manufacturers to do so.
marypoppins38 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Oct 21, 09:07 PM  
Link to this Post
mexico07
VIP Dibber

We feed Murphy raw and have done so since we collected him from the breeder, our last girl was diagnosed with cancer she was fed on kibble we changed her to raw and the difference in her in just over a week was astounding! So we decided if we ever got another dog we would feed raw from the beginning, it is a very evocative subject but what I would say is join some raw feeding groups and learn a bit about it , we feed a complete as I couldn’t stomache the prey model and Murphy is thriving on it, the main thing you know is do not mix raw and cooked as they are digested at different rates snd this is the cause of stomach issues . Many vets are against raw feeding but a very small part of their degree is on nutrition, we are very fortunate that we now have a natural vet who is holistic/ traditional and promotes raw feeding , we also get his food from a raw food supplier who are trained animal nutritionists and are great with any questions we have , good luck if you choose to do it and don’t let anyone scare you off xxx
mexico07 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Oct 21, 07:14 AM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

Originally Posted by marypoppins38 View Post
Vets sell prescription diets kibble which are by prescription only and are to support medical needs such as kidney disease etc. They don’t have ‘deals’ with manufacturers to do so.
Our vets sell plenty of non-prescription dry foods, and they have an allegiance to a particular brand.

When one of our dogs had ear problems, the vet’s solution (for a 3 year old dog) was regular steroid injections and their magical food - lots of money for them. I did an allergy test and made dietary adjustments and this solved the issue - no money for the vets.

There is no way there isn’t an incentive to push the foods they stock.