Notices
Food, Wine, Cooking & Eating Discussion on all things food related. Sharing recipes and giving tips and tricks to great food.

Old 10 Nov 21, 06:36 PM  
Link to this Post
emmabanana
VIP Dibber

Those of you that use Stove Top stuffing where do you get it from in the uk? So far I’ve only found it on Amazon and most of them have £8.00 shipping 😳
emmabanana is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 21, 11:28 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

Originally Posted by emmabanana View Post
Those of you that use Stove Top stuffing where do you get it from in the uk? So far I’ve only found it on Amazon and most of them have £8.00 shipping 😳
I got it from here:
usafoodstore/

I got some sugar cookie mix too.
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Nov 21, 10:34 AM  
Link to this Post
emmabanana
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by collybird View Post
I got it from here:
usafoodstore/

I got some sugar cookie mix too.
Thanks very much for this!
emmabanana is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Nov 21, 08:26 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

2 weeks to go!

So the big question, are we going for turkey crowns or whole birds? How are we cooking them?
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Nov 21, 08:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Last year for Thanksgiving we had a whole Turkey and it was good, but I think this year I'm going to have a crown and have a honey and mustard glaze. For our Christmas turkey I put butter, seasoning and Chinese 5 spice as a rub over the turkey, so I might do that again. The glaze is honey, whole grain mustard and red wine vinegar and that gets added part way through cooking.

Although I daresay I'll be tempted by some of your ideas!

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.

Edited at 08:44 PM.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 21, 10:45 AM  
Link to this Post
Silvercat
Imagineer

My Tesco order is arriving this morning, and I've got all the ingredients to make the Hoop de du Musical Review cornbread coming ... I'll put a photo on here after the weekend, I'm a rubbish cook/baker, so fingers crossed ...

I might add a spoonful of honey, and reduce the amount of sugar accordingly. Not for health reasons but just because the mix I bought last time we were in Florida was a honey cornbread one, and we loved the flavour. This weekend will be a trial run to see if I am capable of making this stuff!

I was going to make the pumpkin cheesecake as well, but will save that for when we are next visiting family as I don't like the flavour of pumpkin and there is no way DH will be able to eat the whole thing on his own!
Old 14 Nov 21, 03:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Cornbread Success

I was very lucky to receive a special delivery of cornmeal on Friday.

I decided I had to try out the AllEars recipe for the Hoop Dee Doo cornbread. I had half a can of sweetcorn leftover so I added that to the batter. In the recipe it said to use a 9 by 13 baking tray. I figured this meant inches not cm, which is huge! But there was a lot of batter...I hoped for the best and popped it in the oven.

I was a bit worried it wouldn't come out of the tin very easily, but actually it was fine.

Gosh it was tasty, very sweet and I think next time I'll use less sugar. I'm pleased it tasted good, was relatively easy to make and will definitely be doing this for Thanksgiving. It tasted just like the cornbread from WDW and it was a big hit.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Nov 21, 03:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Sparksy72
VIP Dibber

Sparksy72's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
Cornbread Success

I was very lucky to receive a special delivery of cornmeal on Friday.

I decided I had to try out the AllEars recipe for the Hoop Dee Doo cornbread. I had half a can of sweetcorn leftover so I added that to the batter. In the recipe it said to use a 9 by 13 baking tray. I figured this meant inches not cm, which is huge! But there was a lot of batter...I hoped for the best and popped it in the oven.

I was a bit worried it wouldn't come out of the tin very easily, but actually it was fine.

Gosh it was tasty, very sweet and I think next time I'll use less sugar. I'm pleased it tasted good, was relatively easy to make and will definitely be doing this for Thanksgiving. It tasted just like the cornbread from WDW and it was a big hit.
Abby that looks delicious! I love the addition of real corn kernels too. I have found that with any American recipes I use, I end up having to reduce the amount of sugar. Not long now til the big day.
Sparksy72 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Nov 21, 05:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Silvercat
Imagineer

I did the Hoop de du cornbread this weekend, too! It was a bit too salty for me, although DH said it was delicious, he liked it like that. I only used half a cup of sugar and made the rest up with honey. It is so light and fluffy! I think next time I'll try using melted butter instead of veg oil, I like the idea of that better. But it was SO easy to make, and came out so well, that I was well impressed - I am a rubbish baker so felt quite proud of myself!

Old 15 Nov 21, 05:34 PM  
Link to this Post
snowbelle
Imagineer

Those cornbreads look delicious, I haven't used the Hoop de doo recipe , it does look like quite a lot of salt, but we are not really salt lovers so I would probably only use a pinch.

I use a recipe that uses buttermilk instead of milk and as buttermilk is really easy to find here it's handy as a swap out.

I like those little loaf tins so may invest in those, as I usually use a 9 inch square pan.

Cornbread also freezes well.

Also the Bisto Southern Gravy ( available in Tesco, Home bargains and others) is very similar to US gravys if you want to create a similar experience.
snowbelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List