Notices

Old 7 Jul 18, 10:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Dubai and Japan Summer 2018

Hi All!

So this summer's holiday is going to be slightly different as we are travelling east rather than west and visiting Japan.

'WE' is made up of me (Rachael) and DH (Simon) along with our two beautiful (though not always angelic) boys who will be almost 13 and 10 when we go away. I'm hoping to get a few photos of DS 13 as he's not been up for having any photos of himself being taken in a long time!

Here is a photo taken from our last major vacation in 2016 to Orlando.

Spoiler alert - I am a massive star wars fan! The originals - not the prequals.

So how did this trip come about? Well the original intention was to fly to Brisbane and New Zealand to see my brother and his family who live in Brisbane. But the flights were more than I was prepared to pay and having travelled numerous times to Brisbane at that time of year I didn't want to spend time there again in what is their winter. So after various discussions it was settled that we would meet up in Japan. My nephew (In all of his 9 years) has always wanted to go to Japan. I have to be honest it's not a place I've ever considered but when I found out that Tokyo Disney was there I changed my mind!

When we were pricing up flights Emirates were coming up quite reasonable and as it's an airline I've flown with many times before we decided to book with them. This gave us the added benefit of having a few days in Dubai as the plane was stopping there anyway.

So the plan is to spend four days in Dubai. We are staying at Hilton The Walk on Jumeirah beach and then flying on to Tokyo where we are spending 14 days touring Tokyo, Kyoto and Osaka (Hopefully we will throw in a trip to Universal)

Normally we fly from Manchester but flights were significantly dearer so we are flying from Newcastle and have booked a premier inn for £35.50 for the night before our stay. It's cost us £3600 for flights for the four of us plus our hotel stay in Dubai.

The rest of our accommodation we have booked through Airbnb and this is where I'm beginning to think our holiday is jinxed! The Japanese government have brought in new laws with regards accommodation and the letting of it which apparently wiped out 80% of Airbnb's accommodation. We still do not know if we have anywhere to stay and we leave in 22 days! Airbnb keep saying not to worry - I'm trying hard, I really am!

In addition to the Airbnb / lack of accommodation situation I was unable to book our Disney tickets using my Barclaycard who are adamant that nothing is wrong with my card. I managed in the end with a mastercard and it's something and nothing but these tiny little frustrations begin to make me think that Japan was not such a good idea. I am still recovering from the £1100 it cost me for our rail passes! £1100!

I'm really hoping that we have the best time... I'm still not feeling overly excited about it and considering how much we've paid I think I could have had two weeks in Orlando for the same amount. However, I am always open to new experiences and if I don't try it I won't know if i'll like it!

I do plan on doing a live trip report so if you are considering a trip to Japan in the near future - don't forget to follow along!

Ohh before I sign off - I need to say a very big thank you to kevin_cambs_uk who posted me some train maps. I will most certainly be using them! It was such a lovely, kind thing to do. So thank you!

Edited at 10:23 PM.
Rac20 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jul 18, 11:33 PM  
Link to this Post
fifi500
Getting Excited

Hi, Looking forward to following along on your live trip report. My DD and I are travelling toTokyo at the end of August, probably with Emirates (flights still to be booked ).

I will be spending 2 weeks in Tokyo, staying in Ikebukuro and visiting both Disney parks.My DD who is 20 will be staying for a year to study.

I am partly super excited and partly terrified, so will be very interested to see how you and your family get on. Thank you for writing a report.
Old 8 Jul 18, 07:46 AM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Originally Posted by fifi500 View Post
Hi, Looking forward to following along on your live trip report. My DD and I are travelling toTokyo at the end of August, probably with Emirates (flights still to be booked ).

I will be spending 2 weeks in Tokyo, staying in Ikebukuro and visiting both Disney parks.My DD who is 20 will be staying for a year to study.

I am partly super excited and partly terrified, so will be very interested to see how you and your family get on. Thank you for writing a report.
I am also feeling slightly terrified - though I'm not sure why!

What an amazing experience for your daughter. You must be very proud of her!
Rac20 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jul 18, 08:39 AM  
Link to this Post
Laughing Minnie
Excited about Disney

Mobile

I’ll be reading with interest. I have always wanted to visit Japan but it always seems quite expensive.

You will have an amazing time.
Laughing Minnie is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jul 18, 12:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Laughing Minnie View Post
I’ll be reading with interest. I have always wanted to visit Japan but it always seems quite expensive.

You will have an amazing time.
The £1100 it cost me to book train tickets suggests thar you’re not wrong in that assumption. I’ll try include prices of meals etc. so you should be able to get an idea of how much things will cost.👍🏻
Old 8 Jul 18, 12:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

I have been to both places!

Dubai is an experience - as busy or relaxed as you want it to be!

Japan is amazing - we were lucky to stay with family who lived there at the time so we also had pur own local guides. I would love to go back.

I hope the Airbnb situation sorts itself out - must be worrying.

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jul 18, 10:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Melbatb View Post
I have been to both places!

Dubai is an experience - as busy or relaxed as you want it to be!

Japan is amazing - we were lucky to stay with family who lived there at the time so we also had pur own local guides. I would love to go back.

I hope the Airbnb situation sorts itself out - must be worrying.
Think I’ll be happier when I know the accommodation is sorted.

I have printed out my Disney tickets today so that has cheered me up a little! ☺️

I did have to wait a few hours as the Tokyo Disney website was down for maintenance.

The Tokyo Disney website is down for maintenance pretty much every day so make sure you leave plenty of time to book and print your tickets off.
Old 9 Jul 18, 05:28 AM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Mobile

cnbc/2018/07/09/japa...hiroshima.html

Maybe I really should just stay at home?
Old 9 Jul 18, 07:19 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

I saw this and immediately thought of you! It will all be ok in the end!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List