Go Back   theDIBB > DIBB Community > DIBBing > General Chat
Forgotten Password?
Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.
Florida Escapes
Unread 11 Aug 19, 10:30 PM  
Link to this Post
teerts
Excited about Disney

What annoys me most out of all this is the companies who have had their data hacked dont care that our personal information in now out in the wild, these companies should be fined and made accountable for their lack of security then be forced to provide their users support to protect themselves, any losses should then be the responsibility of the company who lost your data.

Makes me so angry when I get an email to say we are very sorry but all your personal data has been stolen and we have done nothing about it, but thought you should know to expect a load of spam and hacks over the next few months.

... , and relax 😀
Going to Galaxy's Edge!
Unread 11 Aug 19, 10:35 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

If they are informing you, they have already told the required bodies and will be fined as appropriate. It just may not get press coverage so you don't know what that outcome was.

Not sure what you expect them to do, once the data is out it's out.

Provided you have taken basic precautions like not using the same password across sites then the risk is minimised. They can't help with any fraud which happens, that would be down to your bank.

Unfortunately it is very limited how they can help.

Doesn't stop it being a pain but little they can really help with once the horse has bolted.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Back to the West Coast
Unread 11 Aug 19, 10:44 PM  
Link to this Post
teerts
Excited about Disney

The fine was a pittance, maximum of 500k changed with GDPR so dont know what it is now.

They could offer premium access to a password manager for 1year or something to help protect/monitor your data use for 12 months.

At least the consumer would get some help, at present I need to go through lots of sites, change my emai, notify everyone of an email change, update my passwords, etc, etc where the multi million $ company pretty much get away with it.

Edited to fix spelling mistake.

Edited at 10:45 PM.
teerts is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Going to Galaxy's Edge!
Unread 12 Aug 19, 08:29 AM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Mobile

That's asking them to pay for your bad practices though. If you were doing the right thing in the first place you wouldn't need to take any action as every site would be unique. Sorry if that sounds harsh, but too many leave themselves open to this despite hearing the risks and seeing the consequences.

The real weak point is memorable words as using inconsistent data here can be harder but again a good password manager can hold that information for you as well.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Back to the West Coast
Unread 12 Aug 19, 09:10 AM  
Link to this Post
THE WIZARD
VIP Dibber

All my email contacts on both my BT email addresses were gone yesterday! Did live chat n apparently they were doing an update & my addresses would be back in a couple of hours off there now to check.
Can anyone suggest a good password manager for me please?

Edited at 04:10 PM.
THE WIZARD is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
AKL Here NOW yeah
Unread 12 Aug 19, 10:33 AM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

BT offer one as part of their broadband package.

Personally I use Lastpass and have for years. The vault is encrypted with your own private key that they do not have access to. So even if they got hacked there is no leakage of passwords within your vaults. It has a handy feature that you can add comments so you can keep the memorable words there as well, so they don't need to be truthful and therefore guessable through social media etc.
Back to the West Coast
Unread 12 Aug 19, 10:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Ive just received an email which has apparently come from apple support. Not sure if its genuine or not saying that my apple password has been used in Bermuda. How are you supposed to know if they are genuine? I did not click on the link in the email but have changed my Apple ID via my own account.
Unread 12 Aug 19, 10:45 AM  
Link to this Post
teerts
Excited about Disney

No bad practice here, I use two password generators Lastpass & Apple, I used to use 1Password, but I didn't like the new charging model after I had paid for the full version of their app.

The problem is the amount of spam and calls I now receive because my data was lost by companies and is now is out in the wild, I receive calls at home for my broadband, I receive calls to ask me to invest in crypto currency, Green power, etc, etc, where do these places get my data, yep, that's right from the people who lost my data; how do I know? They still have old postal addresses and old data which was only used on these sites where my data was lost, and I can confirm that because of the email addresses I have used. I have my own domain and create new email aliases and use them for several sites(I'm not going to create a new alias for each site I use, that would just be to difficult to manage and stupid! ), I try to only give my real address to people I trust, but that has also failed too!

It's a pain in the @@@ to have to go through the sites, creating new email aliases, changing my password, update my email address, etc, etc The companies who lost my data should compensate ME because they lost MY data, not give the ICO a load of money.
Going to Galaxy's Edge!
Orlando Attractions