Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 11 Aug 19, 07:44 PM  
Link to this Post
LLamb
Imagineer

Mobile

Its horrible and I hate the fact that there are people trying to do this to people’s accounts constantly.
Never save any credit card details, I know it’s a pain to put them in each time but it stops anybody buying things if your account does get hacked.
Separate passwords for everything, I use a similar password but with a different code at the start for each different website.
Also got two factor set up on anything I can.
LLamb is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 19, 08:51 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Mobile

As long as that different part at the start is not related to the website. You often only need to see one the understand what it would be for all of the others.

Unfortunately this was bad password advice given before password managers existed where people still had to remember passwords.

Use a good password manager and make every password complex and unique.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 19, 09:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridaju&bob
Imagineer

I’ve had problems with eBay and instagram, I just wish you could ring someone up and cancel everything. I managed to finally speak to someone on eBay, but Instagram is a nightmare. I have the 2 factor safety thing, but now just want to delete the account, and what do you know even that is hard to find out. Even now I’m getting 3 messages a day saying someone from Russia, Scotland India trying to change password - so definitely going to delete it once I can find out how- doing my head in now
PO Riverside 2002 2007 2009 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 (2017) 2018 2019 2020
Animal Kingdom 2006
Floridaju&bob is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 19, 09:43 PM  
Link to this Post
JAF
Imagineer

Had problems with eBay who were farcical when I rang them to say someone was using my phone number to try and purchase things. Told me it was impossible and that it was not my mobile number until I managed to persuade the chap to call my mobile and land line and see if the same person answered both. They then sorted it out once they realised I did own the mobile number at least I did not suffer a loss.
JAF is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 19, 09:44 PM  
Link to this Post
LLamb
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by 400ixl View Post
As long as that different part at the start is not related to the website. You often only need to see one the understand what it would be for all of the others.

Unfortunately this was bad password advice given before password managers existed where people still had to remember passwords.

Use a good password manager and make every password complex and unique.
Yes completely agree a password manager is the way to go or at least make each password for different sites unique and yes unrelated to the name of the site.
Just try and do as much as you can.
LLamb is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 19, 10:21 PM  
Link to this Post
sparkes12
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Just noticed in my spam folder a demand for bitcoins saying they have switched my webcam on and have a video of me being naughty 😂 have to laugh at that bit
sparkes12 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 19, 10:30 PM  
Link to this Post
teerts
Excited about Disney

What annoys me most out of all this is the companies who have had their data hacked don’t care that our personal information in now out in the wild, these companies should be fined and made accountable for their lack of security then be forced to provide their users support to protect themselves, any losses should then be the responsibility of the company who lost your data.

Makes me so angry when I get an email to say we are very sorry but all your personal data has been stolen and we have done nothing about it, but thought you should know to expect a load of spam and hacks over the next few months.

... , and relax 😀
Old 11 Aug 19, 10:35 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

If they are informing you, they have already told the required bodies and will be fined as appropriate. It just may not get press coverage so you don't know what that outcome was.

Not sure what you expect them to do, once the data is out it's out.

Provided you have taken basic precautions like not using the same password across sites then the risk is minimised. They can't help with any fraud which happens, that would be down to your bank.

Unfortunately it is very limited how they can help.

Doesn't stop it being a pain but little they can really help with once the horse has bolted.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 19, 10:44 PM  
Link to this Post
teerts
Excited about Disney

The fine was a pittance, maximum of £500k changed with GDPR so don’t know what it is now.

They could offer premium access to a password manager for 1year or something to help protect/monitor your data use for 12 months.

At least the consumer would get some help, at present I need to go through lots of sites, change my emai, notify everyone of an email change, update my passwords, etc, etc where the multi million $ company pretty much get away with it.

Edited to fix spelling mistake.

Edited at 10:45 PM.
teerts is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 19, 08:29 AM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Mobile

That's asking them to pay for your bad practices though. If you were doing the right thing in the first place you wouldn't need to take any action as every site would be unique. Sorry if that sounds harsh, but too many leave themselves open to this despite hearing the risks and seeing the consequences.

The real weak point is memorable words as using inconsistent data here can be harder but again a good password manager can hold that information for you as well.