Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 12 Aug 19, 09:10 AM  
Link to this Post
THE WIZARD
VIP Dibber

All my email contacts on both my BT email addresses were gone yesterday! Did live chat n apparently they were doing an update & my addresses would be back in a couple of hours off there now to check.
Can anyone suggest a good password manager for me please?

Edited at 04:10 PM.
THE WIZARD is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 19, 10:33 AM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

BT offer one as part of their broadband package.

Personally I use Lastpass and have for years. The vault is encrypted with your own private key that they do not have access to. So even if they got hacked there is no leakage of passwords within your vaults. It has a handy feature that you can add comments so you can keep the memorable words there as well, so they don't need to be truthful and therefore guessable through social media etc.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 19, 10:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

I’ve just received an email which has apparently come from apple support. Not sure if it’s genuine or not saying that my apple password has been used in Bermuda. How are you supposed to know if they are genuine? I did not click on the link in the email but have changed my Apple ID via my own account.
Rac20 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 19, 10:45 AM  
Link to this Post
teerts
Excited about Disney

No bad practice here, I use two password generators Lastpass & Apple, I used to use 1Password, but I didn't like the new charging model after I had paid for the full version of their app.

The problem is the amount of spam and calls I now receive because my data was lost by companies and is now is out in the wild, I receive calls at home for my broadband, I receive calls to ask me to invest in crypto currency, Green power, etc, etc, where do these places get my data, yep, that's right from the people who lost my data; how do I know? They still have old postal addresses and old data which was only used on these sites where my data was lost, and I can confirm that because of the email addresses I have used. I have my own domain and create new email aliases and use them for several sites(I'm not going to create a new alias for each site I use, that would just be to difficult to manage and stupid! ), I try to only give my real address to people I trust, but that has also failed too!

It's a pain in the @@@ to have to go through the sites, creating new email aliases, changing my password, update my email address, etc, etc The companies who lost my data should compensate ME because they lost MY data, not give the ICO a load of money.
Old 12 Aug 19, 04:08 PM  
Link to this Post
THE WIZARD
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Rac20 View Post
I’ve just received an email which has apparently come from apple support. Not sure if it’s genuine or not saying that my apple password has been used in Bermuda. How are you supposed to know if they are genuine? I did not click on the link in the email but have changed my Apple ID via my own account.
I seem to be getting the 'reset your iTunes password' every couple of weeks at the moment and its really getting on my nerves
Old 12 Aug 19, 04:33 PM  
Link to this Post
marlouwrig
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by 400ixl View Post
That's asking them to pay for your bad practices though. If you were doing the right thing in the first place you wouldn't need to take any action as every site would be unique. Sorry if that sounds harsh, but too many leave themselves open to this despite hearing the risks and seeing the consequences.

The real weak point is memorable words as using inconsistent data here can be harder but again a good password manager can hold that information for you as well.
You make very good points and I admit I have been guilty of complacency in the past. Recently had quite a few of the emails quoting old passwords of mine and demanding payment in bitcoin because they can see me doing unspeakable things on my webcam.

I have been upgrading my passwords. I admit complete ignorance in these matters, but I have been reluctant to use password managers in the past because surely they are just as open to being compromised as any other site?

DVC Member BCV, BLT & VGC
marlouwrig is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 19, 04:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Leyfy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by 400ixl View Post
BT offer one as part of their broadband package.
Spent a very frustrating 20 minutes this morning trying to set up the free BT Broadband one!
Leyfy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 19, 07:38 PM  
Link to this Post
THE WIZARD
VIP Dibber

After yesterdays debacle with BT and all my email 'contacts' disappearing and being told on live chat it was BT had a glitch as they were upgrading & my addresses were still there and would be back on within an hour! - were they - of course they were not (glad a took a print out of the live chat) checked again this morning still no bloody contacts. Did Live Chat again and this time told it was because i was using Chrome and I should use IE or Firefox instead! Had a real go on Live Chat said I wanted to escalate it to an official complaint being told two different things. They are going to ring me tomorrow - do you think they will ? No I dont expect so either. So I messed around with Chrome browser & reset it - of course lost all my active passwords for things but lo and behold got the contacts back - dont get excited - used my email for this afternoon came on again just now and guess what ! No Contacts yet again. I give up for now.
Old 13 Aug 19, 12:05 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

Originally Posted by teerts View Post
No bad practice here, I use two password generators Lastpass & Apple, I used to use 1Password, but I didn't like the new charging model after I had paid for the full version of their app.
same here, paid for the family pack of 1password, but then got told i need to start paying monthly so sacked it off.

been using 1password for a couple of years now, and whilst i have the "pro" version, the free version is more than suitable for most users (humble bundle did a cheap offer on a years lastpass subs, so i bought 3 years worth)... more to support the software rather than to get the extra features
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 19, 06:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Jack Daniel's
VIP Dibber

Same here, My BT emails seem to of been targeted & my amazon account was got into, email changed & something ordered to a diff address, took months to sort out & luckily because touch ID is the password on the ipad i still had access so could see what was going on & took an age to get my details changed back but for some reason i still cant reset my password, i get the 2FA through to my mobile but will not let my password change, i can still buy stuff from the ipad,

I wanted to change my user ID away from my email address & to just a name or number but they wouldnt have it,
thats where my email got hacked from, the amazon account or maybe paypal, & ebay, lol,

all weird, all passwords are diff, but hate how your email account address opens you up to every site they think you may have, 2fa or google authenticator is best.
2013 Aulani / Disneyland Hotel
2010/13/16/17/18/19 DLRP
2009 POR 2008 POR
2007 Caribbean Beach Resort
2004 Orlando International Resort Int` Drive
1994 Holiday Inn Int` Drive
1993 Comfort Inn 1992 Continental Plaza
1991 Howard Johnston 1990 Holiday Inn Int` Drive
Jack Daniel's is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List