Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 16 Aug 19, 04:14 PM  
Link to this Post
JoJo88
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by RickT View Post
I kind of sleep on the way home, but not proper sleep.

I will say though, dont take any medication to help you sleep like sleeping tablets etc..while it may seem like a good idea, its not if your flight gets cancelled or diverted and you cant be woke up!
Oops! I hope your wisdom is down to forethought and not experience
JoJo88 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 19, 04:23 PM  
Link to this Post
toonarmani
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 137
Turn left when you board ..

Alternatively, noise cancelling headphones (I recommend Bose) and get into as comfortable position in the seat as you can.

I don't bother on outbound leg, and generally just doze rather than call it a proper sleep on the return.

If flying up front, I'm out for the count
toonarmani is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 19, 04:24 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
I read something recently about a woman asleep on a plane and woke up to find it all dark and locked up for the night.

independent/travel...-a8971496.html
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 19, 04:24 PM  
Link to this Post
leee
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Eat the food, have a hot tea, eyes closed, and sleeeeppppp!. That easy really. Indirect flight in 2015 from JFK to MAN, although not a long flight I was rudely awoken when the wheels hit the runway, flight crew sat opposite me just smiled and said "welcome back".

Although our children are older now, my wife always makes sure they don't nag me when I'm sleeping as I drive home when we land. Always refreshed.

I do feel for those who all sleep depraved though, I work shifts and know the feeling.
leee is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 19, 04:49 PM  
Link to this Post
spongebob10
slightly serious Dibber

Thanks all, some great tips - really appreciate it. Am very jealous of those of you that can just sleep!
Old 16 Aug 19, 05:02 PM  
Link to this Post
boarder4life
Excited about Disney

Mobile

For years I couldn’t sleep on a plane, multiple flights to Florida never a wink of sleep.

Tried everything from sleeping across seats to neck pillows. I then went to working nights and never have a issue having a nap on a plane. In fact I can normally sleep for 4-5 hrs (night flights) sometimes now.
I often take a cheap pillow with me and tend to use this on the flight to help me sleep.

I think after all the weeks of planning and stress of the airport and making sure you don’t forgot anything I completely relax when on the plane and this allows me to sleep. I always try and sleep on the way out as I tend to drive.

Also helps you stay up later to counter act the jet lag.

I have often wondered what it would be like having a bed on a flight but don’t like the idea of paying all that money to upgrade to sleep the flight. I’d want to enjoy the flight for the upgrade not pass it by in my sleep lol
boarder4life is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 19, 05:55 PM  
Link to this Post

This time was the 1st time I have slept on the plane most of the way there. After a couple of busy weeks leading up to the holiday and a night in a family room in the hotel the night before plus a 5am start I was knackered.

On VA we had 2 rows of 2 seats by the window. DSs we in the seats in front and I sat with DH., DSs are 11 and 16 and took care of themselves and enjoyed the freedom. Took off and had drink and meal then tuned in to music on the IFE and slept for 4 hours before landing in NY. VA had pillow and blanket so snuggled down, blinds were down as sat on the sunny side of plane and listened to mindfull music for relaxation. Connected to Tampa from NY and we stayed up until 1am Florida time waiting for my sister and family to arrive from Seattle. Went to bed 3am and woke up at 9am Florida time. Perfect, no jet lag or early mornings, we were 2 weeks Gulf Coast.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 19, 05:57 PM  
Link to this Post
TC Devon
Imagineer

Mobile

Leave my kids behind!
TC Devon is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 19, 06:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

Funnily enough I sleep better in PE or a good economy seat than business, I like being spoilt so I dont want to miss out.

I have a very good neck pillow that has air tex bits in it so I dont get too hot, I cant sleep with my Bose headphones as they are too big so bought some cheap in ear noise cancelling (because of tinnitus I sleep with earphones at home) then put on a movie I have seen many times (last time that dammed united) or an audio book. Eat the meal have a glass of red \zzzzzzz
Sew109 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 19, 06:06 PM  
Link to this Post
snowbelle
Imagineer

A cot pillow from Dunelm with a silky pillow case ( adapted by my mum ! )
Warm socks
3m foam earplugs from eBay
Peppermint tea ( never had an issue getting it on any flight) it helps with bubbly stomachs due to pressure in the cabin
A nice comfy eyeshade - Claire’s sometimes have them
And a blanket or cardigan
1 glass of wine or a single spirit and mixer depending in the flight time
Comfy clothes - no zips to dig in you
snowbelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List