Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 20 Aug 19, 06:27 PM  
Link to this Post
disney20042012
Imagineer

I'm in the postpone camp as well. You never know how you and the baby will be health wise. The other poster made an extremely valid point about jabs/infections etc.
Old Key West, Saratoga Springs, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Saratoga Treehouse, Beach Club, Coronado Springs Resort, Hard Rock Hotel, Royal Pacific Resort, Endless Summer Dockside, Pop Century, Polynesian Resort, Disneyland Villa's, Aulani
disney20042012 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 19, 06:44 PM  
Link to this Post
ginnyfish
Getting Excited

Mobile

For me this would have been much too soon. First time parenting is challenging, and I really needed to be at home for the first few months. We decided to wait until our baby’s first birthday for our trip, after cancelling one when I was pregnant. At 6 months, we where feeling like we where starting to get the hang of it and went on a last minute trip to Disneyland Paris and loved it. I think I’m in the wait and see camp. The moment you feel ready, see what you can get last minute.
Old 20 Aug 19, 06:50 PM  
Link to this Post
eeyoremad
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I went last year, we flew the day my baby turned 10 weeks old. I wasn't cancelling nor postponing.
Baby at 10 weeks would have had their first jabs.
Disney is very child and baby friendly, each park has a baby care centre for some privacy to change bum and breastfeed. There are also loads of other baby changing facilities in the toilets.
10 week old babies sleep loads so wasnt a huge hassle. Child swap on the rides is good too.
eeyoremad is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 19, 06:57 PM  
Link to this Post
scottsman
Apprentice Imagineer

I'm really not sure this would be the best idea to be honest, you will be at a time your struggling to establish a routine. beyond that the noise levels, humidity and the difficulty to find quiet space away from everything when your not at the hotel, I would struggle to see how you will enjoy it.

I'm sure you can make it work but would be far from ideal and that's if everything goes to plan. I would personally postpone perhaps by as much as a year but that's just me
scottsman is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 19, 06:59 PM  
Link to this Post
legallyblonde
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by eeyoremad View Post
I went last year, we flew the day my baby turned 10 weeks old. I wasn't cancelling nor postponing.
Baby at 10 weeks would have had their first jabs.
Disney is very child and baby friendly, each park has a baby care centre for some privacy to change bum and breastfeed. There are also loads of other baby changing facilities in the toilets.
10 week old babies sleep loads so wasnt a huge hassle. Child swap on the rides is good too.
It’s good that it worked out for you, and it may well be the same for the OP, but it’s the unknown isn’t it? Baby won’t have had all of its jabs at that age and if baby is overdue, may not have even had first jabs which they have at 8 weeks. Baby could have jabs and it might not agree with them close to the flight. You also don’t know how mum/dad will feel after birth or with parenting generally. It’s exhausting in those first couple of months. I just wanted to be around home.You just don’t know what could happen, how you will feel etc and I would not want to spend that much money and worry for most of my pregnancy as to whether or not it will be wasted money for the sake of waiting a few months.
legallyblonde is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 19, 07:01 PM  
Link to this Post
abiknox
Imagineer

abiknox's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5

We took our daughter Edith at 13.5 weeks and it was an incredible trip. So magical as she was so young but also not without worries in the lead up.

We did only book once we had her and were slightly settled, as well as you can be with a newborn anyway.

Our main worries were:

How to feed her. As breastfeeding hadn't worked out for us, we had to take enough formula for the trip and figure out how to keep it the right temperature in the parks. In the end we ended up taking over 80 individual Actimal bottles which was a challenge in itself but it did take all the worry away.

Colic/Reflux. We did have issues with colic when she was first born and luckily for us she had grown out of this by 12 weeks. Had she been colicy on the holiday, it would have made for a stressfull trip.

If you did decide to go, don't worry at all about the flight. That was the easiest bit. She slept in the sky cot, fed, slept some more and spend the rest of the time looking around in interest at the lights ect. The staff were amazing and couldnt help us enough both on the flight and at the airport.

My main tips would be:

Take a sling for times when you need your hands, ie immigration.

Take a pushchair with a good sunshade that will adapt to carry the car seat. We also bought a pram fan from Amazon which was so useful.

Take some sterilised bottles with boiled water for hydration in between feeds.

Book a condo/apartment or villa instead of a hotel room so you can pop baby down to sleep in peace. A microwave and kettle are also necessary to sterilise bottles if you arent breast feeding. We used Dr Brown's microwave bags.

If you book any ADRs, the baby will count as a guest so. You need to book them a seat.

Make use of the Babycare centers in each park. They provide a quiet place to feed and relax away from the crowd. They also sell nappys, food ect if you do need amyth3.

That's all I can think of for now. Let me know if you need any specific information.

Edited at 07:14 PM.
abiknox is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 19, 07:03 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by eeyoremad View Post
I don't think anyone was suggesting postponing because the Disney facilities might not be up to par. It is more a case of not knowing how things will be.

As they could easily avoid making a financial commitment or outlay right now, but can book later if they want to, that would seem to be the more sensible thing to do.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 19, 07:10 PM  
Link to this Post
eeyoremad
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
I don't think anyone was suggesting postponing because the Disney facilities might not be up to par. It is more a case of not knowing how things will be.
And where in my post did i say people were?
Everyone is giving their opinions on how they felt just after having a baby and travelling with a 10 week old so i am giving mine.
eeyoremad is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 19, 07:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Mel49
Imagineer

Mel49's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
Unfortunately without a crystal ball you cannot predict how Mum or baby will be +/- 10 weeks after the birth. I had quite a few complications after my first and third and would not have been in a position to fly at that stage although the babies were fine. With my second he was a planned c-section and no complications but some travel insurance will not cover you for a minimum of 10 weeks after an operation due to the risk of dvt.

If it was me I would try and postpone the holiday or as other posters have said wait until the baby is born and book a last minute holiday. The problem is as you are travelling with another family and booked onsite with I assume DDP you will not be able to book the same deal last minute.

Good luck with your decision and congratulations.
Mel49 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 19, 07:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Pascaltimon
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Not exactly the same but I took my youngest at 13 weeks old to Disneyland Paris. I was breastfeeding so she spent a lot of time in a connecta baby carrier so I could feed her wherever. I had an ok birth although ended up on masses of tablets for high blood pressure so flying would not have been such a good idea I would postpone or delay booking until you know how your feeling although having a baby is an an amazing thing. Those first few weeks/ months are like being hit in the face with a brick (a very nice brick though)
Pascaltimon is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List