Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 22 Aug 19, 09:32 AM  
Link to this Post
clyde/seymore
Serious Dibber

Regular intermediate car with Alamo

I’ve booked an intermediate car with Alamo for our upcoming trip. It’s for 4 adults. I’m beginning to wonder if I should have booked a larger vehicle!

Last year we booked and intermediate for 2 and all that was there were people carriers which we definitely didn’t want for 2 of us so we ended up with a Dodge Charger at no extra cost. Hopefully this might happen again.

I’m kinda going with true fact we’re fitting all luggage in a smallish hatchback in the U.K. so we can cope for 40 mins in the US with bags in the back with us.

I’ve done OLCI and can go straight to the garage. If we get there and find we can’t fit everything in, can we upgrade there or will we have to go back to the desk?
clyde/seymore is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Aug 19, 09:42 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Maybe not what you want to hear.

There's only two of us and we always book a full size with Alamo. In recent years we've had Nissan Altima, Hyundai Sonata, Chevy Malibu and Ford Fusion. Obviously plenty of room in the car but two cases fill the trunk. We always have four going home so need two on the back seats. So there may be some discomfort for the rear seat passengers on the two airport runs.

We always do OLCI and STC with Alamo.

Upgrading over there I guess will be expensive. Have you booked with someone like Andy at DFCH who will allow you to cancel and re-book? If you do re-book you'll need to do OLCI again.

Mick
Old 22 Aug 19, 02:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Alibayparc
VIP Dibber

Hi
If you can cancel/ amend for free and the cost to upgrade is reasonable,did a quick check on DFHC and for 14 days in September the upgrade cost is circa £30, I would upgrade for the extra comfort for travelling about. If that’s not possible you could look at the sticky#4 above and see if the intermediate cars listed are comparable with the vehicle your using here. Upgrading there would be expensive, but you may be lucky and find something bigger in the intermediate row.
Alex
Alibayparc is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Aug 19, 04:28 PM  
Link to this Post
clyde/seymore
Serious Dibber

Thanks guys. Booked direct with Alamo so can cancel up to 24hrs before. Just had a look at amending and it’s not much at all. Just trying to make sure I do it right. Not sure if they’re going to take the full amount and refund the previous amount paid or if they just take the extra. Haven’t had chance to take a proper look yet!
clyde/seymore is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Aug 19, 06:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Alibayparc
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by clyde/seymore View Post
Thanks guys. Booked direct with Alamo so can cancel up to 24hrs before. Just had a look at amending and it’s not much at all. Just trying to make sure I do it right. Not sure if they’re going to take the full amount and refund the previous amount paid or if they just take the extra. Haven’t had chance to take a proper look yet!
Hi
If it’s like Alamo Brits, which I assume it is, they refund the original and charge the new. On Alamo Brits I follow the amend your booking on the email I’ve done this 3 times this year and each time the refund and new charge have been on the same day. Ok if your booking is on a CC and you have enough of a limit, could be slightly more complicated if you used a DC.
Alex

Edited at 06:21 PM.
Alibayparc is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Aug 19, 07:25 PM  
Link to this Post
clyde/seymore
Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Alibayparc View Post
Hi
If it’s like Alamo Brits, which I assume it is, they refund the original and charge the new. On Alamo Brits I follow the amend your booking on the email I’ve done this 3 times this year and each time the refund and new charge have been on the same day. Ok if your booking is on a CC and you have enough of a limit, could be slightly more complicated if you used a DC.
Alex
Ah, great. Good to know. Yes. We did it on our virgin card for the miles so won’t be a problem if it’s being refunded. Think i’ll Go for the upgrade and make life easier. Plus it’s a lot less to upgrade than outright booking the better car in the first place.
Old 23 Aug 19, 06:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Mandij39
Apprentice Imagineer

We always book either a Compact or Intermediate, with 3 of us travelling and cases, and we've always managed to fit all cases in and had plenty of space. Every time we've booked a Compact, we've always ended up with a Intermediate
Mandij39 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 19, 08:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Greyfriars
Imagineer

We are a couple and alway hire either a Full Size saloon or an Intermediate SUV neither will hold 4 large suitcases!
Old 23 Aug 19, 09:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Ridersmom
Imagineer

One other option is to split up for the airport runs. 2 Uber, 2 drive
Ridersmom is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Aug 19, 06:07 PM  
Link to this Post
clyde/seymore
Serious Dibber

Thanks guys. Deceived to upgrade to full size as it was only and extra £23. Hoping at least the back seat area will be a bit bigger to put cases there if we need to! It’s only 40 ish mins to the villa so we should be able to cope!