Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 27 Jul 19, 12:38 PM  
Link to this Post
sunny1
Excited about Disney

new orleans help with planning please

hi there

i wonder if anyone has been to new orleans that can help me with planning some some of itinerary

we have a full three days to explore and are staying in the CBD area

we prefer to walk and find our own way around but need help with what to see and locations as such

i'ms struggling at the minute and can't even figure out how many cemetries there is and if we need to visit them all

we like parks, cemetries, cathedrals/ garden/ historic areas and of course food and drink

any help would be very much appreciated
sunny1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 19, 01:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Merligan
Very Serious Dibber

Merligan's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Definitely recommend Cafe du Monde for breakfast. The queue will be huge but it’s really fast moving. They serve beignets and coffee, juice, water etc. So it doesn’t take long so tables are coming free all the time. We queued and when we got to the front, you just had to look out for a table and then grab it.

Was recommended to me by a lady on the flight over and another when we stopped in a lay-by on our coast to coast trip. An experience and we really enjoyed it.

We also had a meal at the Gumbo Shop which was lovely. Were only there for 2 nights & 1 day so did a walk round in the day we had. Loads to see and all walkable. The tourist information was really helpful, recommended things to do and gave us maps with the locations marked on them.

Enjoy x
Dibb Villa July 2012 Dibb Villa Sep 2013
Dibb Villa Sandy Ridge March 2015
Merligan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 19, 03:27 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

I have two trip reports with stays in New Orleans. Link is in my signature. Lafayette cemetery no 1 is the one famous for The Originals series. St Louis no1 is famous for the queen of voodoo tomb. You can’t get into St Louis unless you are in an official tour group.
Loads of places to eat depending on your taste. Lots of walking tours around the Garden district. French Quarter quite compact to get around. Anyway have a look at my 2017 and 2018 trippies and please feel free to ask any questions.
We are back there in around 70 days. Love it.
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 19, 04:27 PM  
Link to this Post
dannybegood
Trainee Dibber

Boat to the Zoo. Then streetcar back into city.
dannybegood is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 19, 06:38 PM  
Link to this Post
sunny1
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by WileyCoyote View Post
I have two trip reports with stays in New Orleans. Link is in my signature. Lafayette cemetery no 1 is the one famous for The Originals series. St Louis no1 is famous for the queen of voodoo tomb. You can’t get into St Louis unless you are in an official tour group.
Loads of places to eat depending on your taste. Lots of walking tours around the Garden district. French Quarter quite compact to get around. Anyway have a look at my 2017 and 2018 trippies and please feel free to ask any questions.
We are back there in around 70 days. Love it.
i have read and thoroughly enjoyed your trip reports and look forward to the next
sunny1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jul 19, 12:37 PM  
Link to this Post
sunny1
Excited about Disney

so far i have got

day 1- Arrive tea time, get bearings, Ruby Slipper Cafe which is minutes from the hotel, maybe drink or two

day 2 - street car from CBD to Jackson Square (not sure which street car but will figure it out ) wander around square, visit cathedral, have a Beignet, visit Frenchmans Market, walk the french quarter - find lunch place ? would appreciate recommendations
Hotel Montelone for carousel bar later in the day

day 3 - walking tour of the garden district / lunch at Commanders Palace/ ghost and cemetry tour - drinks maybe see a little of FQ by night

day 4 - shops on canal street - rest of the day open to add plans thinking of a jazz brunch, steam boat cruise and or walk along the riverside (not sure but i also read about a sculpture park which could be a option)

day 5 - flight back to MCO at 5pm - no plans as yet

this is what i have so far, we are lazy morning/ take ages to get our act together kind of people, we like to walk and we like historical buildings

any suggestions or advice would be great because i'm not sure if we are trying to fit too much in
Old 28 Jul 19, 12:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Mary A
Imagineer

Mary A's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

I would suggest you try to fit in a tour to Oak Alley Plantation.

First visit 1989, last visit March 19. Next holiday Washington, Key West & Orlando May 20. Planning Hawaii for March 21
Mary A is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jul 19, 07:52 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Originally Posted by sunny1 View Post
i have read and thoroughly enjoyed your trip reports and look forward to the next
Thank you ... me too
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jul 19, 08:10 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Originally Posted by sunny1 View Post
so far i have got

day 1- Arrive tea time, get bearings, Ruby Slipper Cafe which is minutes from the hotel, maybe drink or two

see if you can find Beth_Disney trippie, she used an app to get n the virtual queue for Ruby Slipper, it can get v busy

day 2 - street car from CBD to Jackson Square (not sure which street car but will figure it out ) wander around square, visit cathedral, have a Beignet, visit Frenchmans Market, walk the french quarter - find lunch place ? would appreciate recommendations
Hotel Montelone for carousel bar later in the day

streetcar , try here norta/getting-around/our-streetcars.aspx but I think you have to go along the riverfront as there definitely isn’t one through the old quarter . Frenchman’s market is about a 10 minute walk from Jackson square. You would keep walking up Decatur or N Peter from Cafe du Monde

I think that’s quite a doable morning . You can explore the FQ on the way back to the Monteleone.

day 3 - walking tour of the garden district / lunch at Commanders Palace/ ghost and cemetry tour - drinks maybe see a little of FQ by night

Commanders Palace is formal dress s you would need to possibly change after the walking tour .

day 4 - shops on canal street - rest of the day open to add plans thinking of a jazz brunch, steam boat cruise and or walk along the riverside (not sure but i also read about a sculpture park which could be a option)

canal street runs to the outlets at Riverwalk. You can pick up the steamboat from there. We haven’t done it, I think the lunch looks over priced and I’m not sure it’s the most scenic harbour to go round. The river is pretty industrial. A trip out to a plantation would work this day if you fancied that. Magazine street is off canal street the opposite direction to FQ .. very quirky, boutiques and restaurants but very very long ! We would vote jazz brunch all day

day 5 - flight back to MCO at 5pm - no plans as yet

this is what i have so far, we are lazy morning/ take ages to get our act together kind of people, we like to walk and we like historical buildings

any suggestions or advice would be great because i'm not sure if we are trying to fit too much in
its really quite compact around the FQ . Even up to Louis Armstrong Park and Basin Street. Garden District a bit further out but you sound as if you are staying on the right side of Canal Street for that

Edited at 08:13 PM.
Old 29 Jul 19, 01:44 PM  
Link to this Post
sunny1
Excited about Disney

wileycoyote

thank you so much for looking at my plans so far

we are aware that Commanders Palace has a dress code, i did read that jeans and polo shirt are ok for lunch ?

my husband dresses well so i just need to tidy myself and then i'm hoping we will pass muster, we have earmarked Antoines as a back up

you have me thinking though that we might do lunch first and then the walking tour