Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 20 Aug 19, 07:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Pascaltimon
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by Orlandoguy View Post
Is there anyway you could leave the baby at home with a close family member? The baby will mean your holiday revolves around them and will mean you will miss out on so much, once the baby is older you can all go back and all have a great time
Not sure about anyone else but there would be no way on earth I would leave a newborn baby at home for a couple of weeks! Even with family.
Pascaltimon is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 19, 07:22 PM  
Link to this Post

I would just postpone and go a few months later when baby is old enough to sleep through and you have a good routine. Being a new Mum can be a challenge, some take to it no problem. I had a premature DS (6 weeks early) both he and I were in and out of hospital a few times, you cannot guarantee a smooth birth/recovery ( I had c-section and was sore for weeks).
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 19, 07:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Emma2288
Very Serious Dibber

Congratulations on your pregnancy!

I haven't taken a newborn to Florida, but just from experience as a first time mum I wouldn't plan on it to be honest.

It took me a good 8 weeks to feel myself again after birth. My daughter wasn't a great sleeper for the first 6 months either, so having 3 hours of (broken) sleep a night, plus having to cope with walking around WDW in the heat I think I would've collapsed with exhaustion!

As others have mentioned, I would probably postpone until possibly November time when it's likely to be a bit cooler, and wait until baby is here and you're settled a bit before you book anything you can't cancel.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Edited at 07:26 PM.
Emma2288 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 19, 07:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Mariekitty13
Earning More Ears

Thanks for everyones replies,

Unfortunately everything is already booked including flights, and it would already cost us a lot of money to rebook or cancel.

I suppose if it goes badly I may be able to claim on insurance at that point, as that would be a grounds for claiming.

It was already going to be a much slower trip due to the 2 year old in tow, so it definitely wont be marching around like we have done in the past, lots of chill out time and pool time.

I suppose the main issue is if there is an issue with the delivery.

Obviously its not ideal. But on the plus side there are 4 of us adults to help out.

Thanks for the tips those of you who have done it
Mariekitty13 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 19, 07:43 PM  
Link to this Post
shelle
Apprentice Imagineer

It's a tough one.

We took my son last year at 6 weeks. The trip was booked before we got pregnant and it would have cost a lot of money to delay it. It was not our first trip and wouldn't be our last so that affected our decision.

The trip was absolutely fine. I was breastfeeding so didn't have to worry about bottles or sterilising and it's before the age when you need to worry about weaning. He just ate, slept and pooped! We used rider switch and single rider and as we have done all the rides before we weren't bothered about riding them together(those with restrictions anyway. He came on everything without a height restriction with us.)

He wasn't our first child though and I was fully prepared for the fact that we may need to cancel should I or he have had any complications.

In your position I would probably postpone. My daughter's first trip was for her first birthday and was a lovely age. We are going again next month and my son will be 13 months old.
shelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 19, 07:45 PM  
Link to this Post
legallyblonde
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I hope it works out for you OP
legallyblonde is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 19, 07:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Mariekitty13
Earning More Ears

Thanks abiknox!

Did you take your travel system/buggy through the airport? And did you get it at the other end in Orlando? OR did you put it in the hold?

Good point about the bottle sterilisation. Thanks for the tips!
Mariekitty13 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 19, 07:48 PM  
Link to this Post
shelle
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mariekitty13 View Post
Thanks for everyones replies,

Unfortunately everything is already booked including flights, and it would already cost us a lot of money to rebook or cancel.

I suppose if it goes badly I may be able to claim on insurance at that point, as that would be a grounds for claiming.

It was already going to be a much slower trip due to the 2 year old in tow, so it definitely wont be marching around like we have done in the past, lots of chill out time and pool time.

I suppose the main issue is if there is an issue with the delivery.

Obviously its not ideal. But on the plus side there are 4 of us adults to help out.

Thanks for the tips those of you who have done it
You posted this while I was busy typing!

Good look with the trip. I recommend a decent buggy(but not your beloved travel system) for the holiday which you can then use at home when you move on from the pram. One that lies flat with a nice big sunshade. We have had a mamas and papas armadillo and now have an Oyster Zero. Both are great(we also had a city mini for a little while but I couldn't get on with 3 wheels)

I also recommend a rechargeable buggy fan(USB) which you can get cheaply off Amazon.

Just go with the flow and you will be fine. If things don't go to plan and you have to cancel then claim on your insurance and book to go again. It is what it is.
shelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 19, 07:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Mariekitty13
Earning More Ears

Originally Posted by shelle View Post
It's a tough one.

We took my son last year at 6 weeks. The trip was booked before we got pregnant and it would have cost a lot of money to delay it. It was not our first trip and wouldn't be our last so that affected our decision.

The trip was absolutely fine. I was breastfeeding so didn't have to worry about bottles or sterilising and it's before the age when you need to worry about weaning. He just ate, slept and pooped! We used rider switch and single rider and as we have done all the rides before we weren't bothered about riding them together(those with restrictions anyway. He came on everything without a height restriction with us.)

He wasn't our first child though and I was fully prepared for the fact that we may need to cancel should I or he have had any complications.

In your position I would probably postpone. My daughter's first trip was for her first birthday and was a lovely age. We are going again next month and my son will be 13 months old.
Thanks for the reply, yeah, unfortunately, we are in the same boat as you, it would cost a lot of money for us to postpone or cancel. If there were complications I would hope that would be claimable on the insurance? I think from peoples replies this may be the best course of action, but I wouldnt be able to claim until there WAS an issue, which I hope there won't be. How was you? Had you recovered physically at that point?
Old 20 Aug 19, 07:52 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

I took my dd at 12 weeks. I had a c section and a few complications but was fine by 12 weeks.

We bottle fed and I used powdered formula. I think the rules have changed on how to make this up so it may not be as easy as it was when we did it.

I would definitely recommend a sling and a pushchair. There are places a pushchair can’t go. And the car seat is handy in restaurants as the baby will be too small for a high chair.

We also opted for an apartment offsite to give us access to a full kitchen and a microwave for sterilising.

We had a good holiday. But we aren’t routine parents at home. Much more go with the flow. We had a lie flat pushchair and DD would sleep in it while we were out and about.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List