Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 10 Sep 14, 11:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Gunna
Apprentice Imagineer

East Coast Road Trip - Day 6 - Busch Gardens Williamsburg

Day 6 - 14th August 2014 - Busch Gardens Williamsburg

We were up nice and early today and Sam took no chasing to get out of his bed. He loves visiting theme parks and was looking forward to going to a new one today. We have visited Busch Gardens in Tampa and have always had a really good time so were looking forward to visiting here today. We head down for our free breakfast and manage to bag one of the last tables. Decent choice, Sam and me find the waffles machines and set to making a few for us to enjoy with plenty of syrup. Full of sugar we sort our stuff out for today and head off for the park. It is a short 15 minute car journey down the road and we arrive just before 9.30. Not long after the parking booths open, we pay our fee and head inside parking in the Italy parking lot. We catch the tram and set off to the turnstiles.

The park is set out with various 'European' lands and rides, shows and attractions themed to each land. It has also been voted as one of the most beautiful parks in the USA and it was easy to see why. It was very green and lush, lots of trees, greenery and flowers in full bloom which made for a nice and pleasant atmosphere wandering around. We head through the gates and are immediately into England.

Very 'Olde England' and similar to the England pavilion in Epcot. Also a bit like Stratford on Avon with lots of typical England decorations, red buses, phone boxes and Union Jacks. We passed through and headed to the end of England and into Scotland as we made our way towards the back of park and the main coaster Sam was itching to try. France opened at 10am and we just wait with the small group near Ireland for rope-drop and after a few minutes we are through and walking through Ireland, or Killarney as it was referred to on our way to France. France was split into two, one very similar to a Loire chateau and then new France which was very Canadian in feel. In France we headed to our first coaster - Griffon

It was very similar to Sheikra in Tampa although the initial drop was higher and it did two inversions. Sheikra has never been my favourite, Sam went on it four times last time we where there. There was no queue at all so he persuades me and in no time we are on. Slow and gradual climb to the top and then we are at the summit and enjoying some amazing views across the trees and to the James River in the distance. Then we perch on the drop, brief pause and are off down the huge drop. It was a fantastic ride, very smooth, thrilling and we both really enjoyed it. Didn't know why I didn't like Shiekra first time, seem to have conquered my fear of it now.

Kik didn't fancy a go so we head now into 'New France' for a ride on Alpengeist. If you have visited Alton Towers its the same type of coaster as Nemesis. It has a much higher first drop and the overall ride length is longer. Sam and me again walk straight on and as its empty bag the front row which adds even more of a thrill to the overall ride experience.

We couldn't head into Germany as that area didn't open until later in the day and Sam is keen for another coaster. A girl who he used to go to primary school with had told him that Apollos Chariot was the best ride in the park so we headed on over to Italy for a go on the third coaster of the day. This was a brilliant ride. High, fast, smooth with plenty of airtime. We ride with our hands up all the way round and Sam is buzzing as he gets off, he said that was his favourite so far.

Sam has a go on some of the other rides in Italy and we go on one which is like a flying carpet, took me back to my youth when these were all the rage. The various lands in the park were all really well themed with flowers, buildings and various objects. All the restaurants were linked into the theme as were the shops and stuff they sold. We were really enjoying the visit, the crowds were light and we where never stuck in queues waiting to get on the rides. We decide to head across the 'Rhine' and into Germany there's another coaster on Sam's hit list and he is keen to ride it. Verbolten is their newest coaster and is a launch coaster with dark elements and drops (Alton Towers Thirteen) themed to an out of control drive in the Black Forest. Kik think this sounds great and agrees to ride as well.

If I'm honest I wasn't keen and Kik didn't like it at all. The launch was good but we found the ride a bit rough. The dark part was very disorientating with strobes and flashing lights. We decided not to ride again which I really thought we would all enjoy it but never mind can't win them all. We head over past the big restaurant Oktoberfest to the ride Darkastle

Darkastle was great. Like Spiderman at Island of Adventure with a haunted castle theme, we all enjoyed this and it put us back in the mood for more rides later on. It was a really good ride. We had also planned to do a few shows today as there were a good choice to choose from. Our first one was 'London Rocks' back in England so we head back over for the show and on route had a quick trip on Escape from Pompeii.

Another good ride and we think we have avoided the dampness until those water guns on the side get us and the public take great pleasure soaking us. As we get off a small girl runs up to Kik and delights in telling her she squirted her with a water gun. Kik smiles through gritted teeth but is secretly plotting her revenge. Sam picks up a pizza taco roll which he enjoyed as we head over to England. We are soon back in England and in the Globe theatre waiting for London Rocks. To be honest it was a pretty good show, music right from the Sixties to date telling the story of a boy meets girl, get married, have kids, fall out and back into love, happy ending type show and the performers were good, could dance and hold a tune and kept us entertained. We now head back towards Ireland

We decided to do 'Europe in the Air' first bit like Soarin' but not as techno advanced but still a good ride, you fly over famous European sights in this one. In the queue Sam has a problem with his 'wind' and as we are waiting lets one go (silently) unfortunately the lady in front was obviously in the line of fire and starts to cough as does the man behind, looks are exchanged but no one thinks its him, he couldn't do something like that, so I think the blame fell squarely on my shoulders - thanks son! Once the air clears we are on the ride and found it good fun. We head out and Kik and me share a corned beef sandwich which had a mountain of meat in it and we have a look at the wolves and birds as we head back for a repeat go on Griffon. Kik then starts a marital dispute while waiting for us. She is talking to a local guy and having a good natter when she looks up and see a woman staring daggers. The man looks and its his wife, stutters 'I didn't see you there love' to which she barked ' well you wouldn't would you' still staring daggers, so they trundle off obviously with her not too happy for her husband talking to another woman.

Kik and me pick up two massive ice-creams before we all watch 'More Pet Shenanigans' basically the same as the Pet Show at SeaWorld but we love that with the rescue animals. Following this the Predator Show which was brilliant, owls flying round your head, wolves and rats, loved it. We then chill with a drink in the shade before heading to our final show 'Celtic Fyre' Set up in an Irish bar where a wedding is being celebrated. This was excellent, a real top quality professional show and we could all have easily watched again. If you are a fan of Irish music, dancing and songs its a must do. We had seen Riverdance in Dublin last year and these dancers where on a par with them. We said this is what British theme parks lack, decent entertainment and shows . We decide to finish on a few more rides before we head off.

We all have a go on the log flume and then the rapids, Kik and Sam go on some of the fairground type rides in Italy before we head back to the exit. Sam and me also have a repeat go on Apollos Chariot. Sam buys a squid hat which he has seen lots of people wearing and keeps it on for the rest of the day (he wouldn't let me take a photo) There is one coaster we haven't done which was Loch Ness Monster - the style was like the old corkscrew coasters which I remember as being real head bangers but as we want to do them all Sam and me decide to go on.

We were both pleasantly surprised at how smooth it was and we enjoyed the ride, happy that we had managed their 'Fury 5' we decide now to call it a day. Kik is nattering to the locals again, but not causing marital disputes this time, one lady is asking her if England is like the version of England in the park and we had to explain that it wasn't. Sam buys himself a t-shirt and cap with Fury 5 on as a memento of his achievements. The cap goes missing later in the trip and hopefully is being sent back to us but we are still waiting. We all said on the way out how much we had enjoyed today. Very picturesque park, great rides, some really good shows and we all felt a good choice of things so there would be something for everyone. Sam had loved it and was chattering about it all the way back for dinner.

Kiks choice for dinner tonight and she likes Chilis so we head there. Sat near the complaining family who moaned about everything. The seat, view, wet feet, plates pretty much everything. You knew they were trouble when as they were moved near us their first words were 'Get me the manager!' We however really liked it here - Texan fries and boneless wings to start. Fajitas, Cajun chicken pasta and chicken sandwich for mains and plenty of refills on the drinks. The food was lovely, good portions, quality and well cooked. Came to less than £30 without our tip which we all thought was a bargain. Sam and me have a mess around taking some selfies before its time to head off.

We head back to the hotel but its too late for swimming, we don't get back until 10 and the pool is just closed, We are shattered anyhow so we head off to bed and are soon asleep.

Tomorrow - Colonial Williamsburg, Jamestown and some shopping!

Neil

Life's not meant to be lived in one place

The One Stop Trip Spot - all my trip reports all in one place
Gunna is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 14, 09:49 PM  
Link to this Post
scbrit
Trying for More Ears

Enjoying your reports

Edited at 03:45 PM.
scbrit is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 14, 07:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Pussycat Doll
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Great day and looks like great coasters too! Pussycat
Pussycat Doll is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Dec 14, 02:53 PM  
Link to this Post
juliab
Imagineer

juliab's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 16

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 78
Busch Gardens looked like fun with a lot of fab rollercoasters.
juliab is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Mar 16, 07:23 PM  
Link to this Post
OB1LukeLucas
VIP Dibber

Mobile

A fun day.
OB1LukeLucas is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 18, 03:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Glee Fan
Imagineer

Coasters are not my thing but the rest of my family are looking forward to going here!
Glee Fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List