Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 18 May 22, 01:09 PM  
Link to this Post
kateb78
VIP Dibber

Day 6 - To Tiberias

We left Bethlehem behind today to travel north to the Sea of Galilee - good job as it was grey and rainy in Bethlehem!

En route, we stopped on the Good Samaritan Way which is the road between Jericho and Jerusalem and the area where the famous parable was based. It’s an interesting drive through the Judean desert, passing many Bedouin settlements

We then made our way to Qasr El Yahud which is regarded as the traditional baptismal site at the river Jordan. Driving towards it we passed fenced off areas which were once occupied by Jordanian forces and marked by scary signs warning of land mines…

We all dipped our toes in the River Jordan and renewed our baptismal promises. (All of this was overlooked from the other side of the river by a Jordanian soldier with a gun).

From there we travelled to the Mount of Temptation which is where Jesus was taken and tempted after spending 40 days and 40 nights in the desert

Ironically there was a shop here where we were all tempted and came home loaded with Dead Sea soaps, dates, sycamore nuts, almonds and spices!

We moved on to Jericho where we had another delicious lunch

Oh how I miss those pitta breads!

Now it was time for a float in the Dead Sea. We went to a private beach area where we were able to change and then made the trek down to the water

It was hard work because of the steps and the heat. When we got to the water it wasn’t much better because there were lots of rocky ledges which you couldn’t see. There are various beach areas but I would say this wasn’t one of the best. It was really difficult for less mobile members of the group but we all managed a little dip!

Suitably refreshed we then carried on another hour and a half to Tiberias. We stayed at Casa Nova Tiberias which was essentially hostel style accommodation. It was very basic but clean and in a great location just a few steps to the Sea of Galilee shoreline. It’s part of a church community and has an attached church

Tiberias itself is quite lively with restaurants and ice cream shops along the sea front. It meant it was a little noisy on the Friday night when we arrived but we managed because we were all so tired!

kateb78 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 22, 01:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Princess Alison
Imagineer

It all looks so clean and well cared for.
Agree that those pitta breads look delicious!
Another great day - I've never been to the Dead Sea - how 'floaty' is it? How long can you spend in it?
Princess Alison is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 22, 01:33 PM  
Link to this Post
kateb78
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Princess Alison View Post
It all looks so clean and well cared for.
Agree that those pitta breads look delicious!
Another great day - I've never been to the Dead Sea - how 'floaty' is it? How long can you spend in it?
Most places are very well looked after - the holy sites especially. Obviously Jerusalem, Bethlehem and other towns have their good and bad spots. The beach area wasnt great but we weren’t there for long so it didn’t matter.

The Dead Sea is completely floaty! I can’t swim… but I can float in the Dead Sea! It’s actually hard to get yourself upright again because you’re so buoyant I’m not sure on official rules but we never spent more than 20 minutes because of the heat. You also have to be careful not to get the water in your eyes or swallow it - the salt and mineral content is so high that it can make you poorly. The mud you pick up from the seabed can also be spread on your skin and makes you feel lovely and soft. Hence all the Dead Sea products you can buy from just about anywhere these days.

Edited at 01:38 PM.
kateb78 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 22, 04:36 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

I can’t swim either so I’ve always fancied visiting the Dead Sea to actually experience floating.

It’s wonderful to see the bible stories come to life. I can actually imagine the Good Samaritan stopping along that roadway to help the poor beaten traveller. The food looks delicious too.

Seems odd to see the modern beach sign at Tiberias after all the biblical and ancient sites
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 22, 04:49 PM  
Link to this Post
kateb78
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by DisneyDaffodil View Post
I can’t swim either so I’ve always fancied visiting the Dead Sea to actually experience floating.

It’s wonderful to see the bible stories come to life. I can actually imagine the Good Samaritan stopping along that roadway to help the poor beaten traveller. The food looks delicious too.

Seems odd to see the modern beach sign at Tiberias after all the biblical and ancient sites
I honestly didn’t believe I’d float the first time I went in the Dead Sea but of course I did! It was the same this time too

We also probably saw more modern “stuff” but I just don’t have the photos! All the areas we visited are interesting juxtapositions of modern life (and sometimes tough life in troubled areas) rubbing along with ancient history.
Old 18 May 22, 07:30 PM  
Link to this Post
sunshines
Apprentice Imagineer

Wow, Kate, thanks for writing this report. Your photos are impressive and I appreciate the detail in your description. You make me want to visit.
Old 18 May 22, 08:06 PM  
Link to this Post
kateb78
VIP Dibber

Day 7 - Mount Tabor, Nazareth and Cana

Our day began with a trip to the top of Mount Tabor to visit the Church of the Transfiguration. Coaches aren’t allowed all the way to the top so we had to decant into the minivans waiting for tourists at the foot of the steepest part of the ascent

It’s a corkscrew road of hairpin bends to get to the top and the views are stunning.

Once at the top it’s a peaceful walk through beautiful gardens to the church. The church is built to look like the three tents which Peter, James and John wanted to build for Elijah, Moses and Jesus

On a certain day each year, the light enters the church in a specific way and makes the golden mosaic above the altar glow - I’d love to see that!

There’s a viewing platform at the back of the church

From Tabor we set off to Nazareth. The reality of Nazareth is a far cry from my imaginings as it’s a busy and built up town these days. Our first stop was the Church of St Gabriel which is built over the only fresh water spring in Nazareth and therefore had to be the place where Mary went to fetch water and where the Angel Gabriel first appeared to her

We then walked through the market to the Old Synagogue where Jesus first started his public ministry

We continued through the market which still has strong woodwork connections but is full of all sorts of stalls. We emerged to the serenity of the Basillica of the Annunciation

It’s such a different design of church. Very modern and actually dedicated in the 60s. It’s set on different levels as it is built over the site of the cave where Mary lived and where the Angel appeared to her again

It’s breathtaking to visit the grotto - Mary’s home - because this is the place where she said “yes” and essentially began the journey for Christianity

The architecture is fitting for such a location!

Across the way from the Basillica is a church dedicated to St Joseph which is built over the site of Joseph’s carpentry workshop. There’s some unusual art there depicting Jospeh as an old man - I think we sometimes forget that he was Jesus’ dad so I just love this scene

We had lunch in Nazareth and then set off for Cana, the place where Jesus performed His first miracle by turning water into wine at the wedding celebration. The married couples in our group all had the chance to renew their marriage vows. It was very emotional!

We returned to Tiberias and wandered down to the sea front to stalk out a suitable spot for viewing the sunrise in the morning… luckily it was only 2 minutes from our hotel because we all set our alarms for 5am to catch the spectacle…

Edited at 10:32 AM.
Old 18 May 22, 08:13 PM  
Link to this Post
kateb78
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by sunshines View Post
Wow, Kate, thanks for writing this report. Your photos are impressive and I appreciate the detail in your description. You make me want to visit.
You’re welcome! I’m enjoying it too. I also want to go back Book it, you won’t regret it
Old 18 May 22, 09:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

Fabulous photos, have really enjoyed reading this report, thank you for sharing with us.

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816
Loopylooloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 22, 10:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Princess Alison
Imagineer

Another great day. I love the fact that married couples were given the opportunity to renew their vows ❤️
Princess Alison is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List