Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 7 Jul 21, 10:04 AM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Sixteen years ago

Edited at 10:07 AM.
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jul 21, 10:10 AM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Originally Posted by EssexSue View Post
Since the London bomb. Remembering all those who lost their lives this day.
Which one ? (I am crap at remember dates just events) The docklands one blew out a window on my house in Hackney (my partner and I thought a gasometer had gone up in Bethnal Green and my pussie ran under the bed) but I remember the one on Charing Cross road 16 years ago too - in a phone box as I was pretty near it (and had to go home to change my knickers) - also was near the one in Colchester that Andy Mudd lost his legs in (and one Admiral Duncan ) - there is a them there and like a cat I feel blessed to have so many life’s to escape them ( I was also in both Belfast during the “troubles” and saw a mortar attack and in the officers club in Gelsenkirchen when someone lobbed a IED over the fence (and similar events in Sandy places) - I still practice shark watch every time I go out
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jul 21, 10:13 AM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Oh I see your edit. Wow 16 years ago - London has suffered some terrible blows but we are a resilient lot and get up and carry on while remember those who have lost dear ones
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jul 21, 10:17 AM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by megaflyer View Post
Oh I see your edit. Wow 16 years ago - London has suffered some terrible blows but we are a resilient lot and get up and carry on while remember those who have lost dear ones
My son was working in the city at that time, luckily my brother managed to speak to him before we all knew exactly what was going on and all the lines went down. Do you remember they said it was a power surge on the Tube at first? Not that we really believed it.
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jul 21, 10:19 AM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

wow 16 years ago

i can remember i was listening to Alan Brazil on talksport talking about the olympic bid win.. they said there was a power surge on the tube causing delays

then it all unfolded what was actually happening
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jul 21, 10:20 AM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Originally Posted by EssexSue View Post
My son was working in the city at that time, luckily my brother managed to speak to him before we all knew exactly what was going on and all the lines went down. Do you remember they said it was a power surge on the Tube at first? Not that we really believed it.
Oh gosh I do and yes what silly nonsense announcement - power surge my foot. The bus one in Tavistock Square made my blood run cold for some reason - many Londoners (me included) had a good cry that day
Old 7 Jul 21, 10:26 AM  
Link to this Post
DiszeeBelle
Imagineer

My best friend was living down there and always caught that train. I was passed myself as neither i or her parents could contact her. It was about 4pm when she rang to say she had caught earlier train that morning.
DiszeeBelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jul 21, 10:29 AM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Originally Posted by DiszeeBelle View Post
My best friend was living down there and always caught that train. I was passed myself as neither i or her parents could contact her. It was about 4pm when she rang to say she had caught earlier train that morning.
The mobile phone network was disabled for a time (I guess to stop terrorist communicating ) as can and does/did happen occasionally
Old 7 Jul 21, 10:36 AM  
Link to this Post
Claudette
VIP Dibber

I worked at UBS at the time, the office building was above Liverpool Street station. We (and thousands of others from buildings nearby) were evacuated and were standing on the street waiting for an emergency safe place for a while. I was always both curious and impressed by how a plan came into action. Early on somebody was walking through the throngs with a megaphone calling for “senior managers” to identify themselves. Anyway they got people from the same organisation together (many would have still been travelling to work when it happened), my colleagues and I ended up in a vacant office building nearby. As the building was totally empty (no TVs or computers) and nobody had a phone signal, we found out what had happened a fair bit later than most people. We had no idea.

I remember late afternoon when directions and updates had become thin on the ground, people started to get bored and groups formed to walk to their nearest overland rail station. I set out with about ten of my colleagues to walk to Waterloo. I remember an Aussie colleague, Mel, walking barefoot as her high heels were hurting and she lamented that she had just had a pedicure. Funny day. Sixteen years, wow.
Claudette is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jul 21, 10:57 AM  
Link to this Post
olgaandcoda
Imagineer

olgaandcoda's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Both my sons were working in London that day, i managed to call them and tell them to get home.
One of their friends was around the corner to Tavistock Sq, just as the explosion happened. He said the place was carnage!
Sister Linda was working in Nat West tower when it was bombed. Luckily she wasn't in that day, but we couldn’t contact her for hours.