Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 19 May 22, 11:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumba75
Imagineer

Pumba75's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 23
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Colette-S View Post
You do seem a little obsessed buryboy? It’s getting boring now 💤💤
Don’t forget your annual firework thread
Evening Colette - hope you're well.
Pumba75 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 22, 11:41 PM  
Link to this Post
buryboy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Pumba75 View Post
You recognise that a dog's brain isn't as developed as a human brain, yet most of your arguments are based on ascribing human thought processes and decision-making to them.

Then you contradict yourself by putting forward an argument based on a human not having those cognitive functions.
Sorry you’ve lost me .
The last bit of my post you have copied was intended to be sarcastic
Our MOST ANNOYING trip to Tenerife February 2018 ( an homage to infamous dibb threads
buryboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 22, 11:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Pumba75 View Post
Evening Colette - hope you're well.
I’m good thank you 😃
Hope all well with you x
Colette-S is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 22, 11:49 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by buryboy View Post
No I don’t dislike dogs .
I am scared of dogs .
And the death of anyone is an absolutely tragedy .
I just want to highlight how dangerous they can be .
As clearly not everyone appreciates that , otherwise there wouldn’t be stories like this .
I completely get that dogs need to be trained .
I completely get that in many serious attacks the dogs are put in a situation that they shouldn’t be left in.
But dogs being living beings are potentially dangerous ‘ naturally’ - owners have to train dogs to be good .

The same applies to any animal but the consequences of larger animals are potentially more severe .

I got my cat re-homed because I was scared of it scratching my baby.
I don’t hate cats just because I gave mine away
I was scared of the consequences of it being around my baby

You were scared of your cat harming your baby? So assuming you planned to have children why get a cat in the first place ?1000’s of cats and children live happily together.

Your fears are totally irrational

I was as a child bitten by a dog , A Alsatian that lived near us and was allowed to roam free and do as it liked.

Didn’t put me off dogs , We always had big dogs as pets and i knew even at a young age most dogs weren’t nasty and that is still true today ..

Dogs do not think like humans of course they don’t understand that jumping at a small child could cause harm .
My Labrador probably weighs twice as much as my granddaughter but she wouldn’t understand that ..

My husband was never allowed a dog as a child, His mother hated dogs , irrationally scared of them . When we bought our Boxer puppy her behaviour towards it was quite frankly ridiculous .
When i had my first child our Boxer dog was 3.5 and my MIL would not stop going on about the dog ..
“What if it bites” blah blah blah ..
In the end she stopped coming to our house because I was sick of hearing her irrational thoughts.
The dog was as we suspected totally fine and adored both our children and the feeling was mutual .

A dog needs a owner thats prepared to put in the time and effort to make sure that the dog is trained and knows what they can and can’t do .

If someone isn’t prepared to put in that time , Then don’t get a dog. , its really that simple.
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 22, 11:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumba75
Imagineer

Pumba75's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 23
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
Sorry you’ve lost me .
The last bit of my post you have copied was intended to be sarcastic
Yes, but it still highlights the basic misunderstanding you have that you reflect in your arguments.
Pumba75 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 22, 11:52 PM  
Link to this Post

Dogs can very very rarely attack. Primarily due to a lack of training, and by training I mean people not understanding cues that the dog is unhappy. A dog will always demonstrate behaviour to show it feels uncomfortable; wide eyes, licking of lips etc. If we ignore those signs and let a behaviour they’re uncomfortable with continue, their primal brain kicks in and the try and eliminate the perceived threat.

If this were as common as you make out it wouldn’t be making the news.
I understand a fear of something you don’t understand and clearly you don’t understand animal behaviour - but it’s bordering on unhealthy obsession now.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 22, 11:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Lou1982
VIP Dibber

Lou1982's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 22
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Thank you for trying to explain it me .
So are you saying that if every time you ask your dog to roll over and if it does you give him a biscuit , that it doesn’t understand that it will expect to get a biscuit if it rolls over ?
Yes, a dog can be trained to follow a command and that one action/command will be followed by an expected reaction. This is achieved by repeating the same action over and over again until the dog becomes trained to that action/command A by a human should be followed by action b by the dog.

That’s why when a puppy bites or nips it learns not to do so because of the actions of the trainer. The dog recognises the trainer does not respond positively. It does not necessarily recognise that it has hurt the trainer or put it in danger.

You cannot equate the simple learning process of action A leading to action B with the complex understanding of actions and consequences humans can achieve.
Lou1982 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 22, 11:57 PM  
Link to this Post

There was an article on the news the other day about a toddler who accidentally shot its sibling. Are all two-year-olds inherently dangerous and to be kept away from other children for fear of similar incidents.
Or, do we apply rationality. Accept that this is a rare, freak accident - that the toddler wasn’t being supervised correctly and apportion blame on the parents for allowing the incident to occur.

Essentially the same thing, a properly supervised dog, whose owners are aware of “warning” behaviours isn’t a threat.

Edited at 12:03 AM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 22, 08:24 AM  
Link to this Post
buryboy
Imagineer

Thank you for continuing to engage with my minority views and trying to educate
I will respond tonight after work ( sorry Colette)
Our MOST ANNOYING trip to Tenerife February 2018 ( an homage to infamous dibb threads
buryboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 22, 08:51 AM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

Because I am still waiting for someone to give me a good answer other than I train them perfectly .

Do dogs have their own brains or not ?

You say that dogs can get excited. I agree.
So is that the owners ‘ fault’ ?
Or is it just dogs being dogs because they are living beings who respond differently to different situations ?

I get that dog lovers love their dogs.
But to blame an owner for everything just doesn’t make sense to me .
Are all their good qualities down to the owner too ?
Just as their bad qualities are their owners fault ?

I thought all dogs have different traits but they must all be fundamentally the same ?

I am being intentionally flippant here to take a juxtaposition but I genuinely don’t get how any living being can’t be be at least partially responsible for their own actions ?
I genuinely want to understand why my logic is flawed .

If a untrained dog does what it wants , does it lose all of its own mind that existed before being trained once it has been fully trained ?

If a go across a field and a cow charges you is that the farmers fault ?
Well I personally wouldn’t blame the farmer at all
I was not going to involve myself on this thread but I can’t resist asking who would you say was to blame in this scenario - the cow?

Edited at 11:54 AM.
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List