Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 9 Nov 19, 04:10 PM  
Link to this Post
anji
VIP Dibber

Canada car insurance / buy policy here?

I'm looking at car hire for our trip next year. We want 5 days picking up Vancouver and dropping in Victoria. I'm getting Enterprise at £172 and Avis at £295. These are the only options having offices in both places.

Enterprise seems to have no insurance at all, so obviously would have to buy from them for more money. Avis includes CDW.

Does anyone have experience of Canada insurance? Are we best buying a policy covering car hire for a year abroad? We will be renting in USA after this. Thanks!

Index to all trip reports here https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...3#post15913083
Seattle to San Francisco
Road Trip Florida 2017
New England Road Trip 2019
Florida Road Trip 2022
Canada/Pacific NW Road Trip 2022
Cyprus Chill week May 2023
Road Trip California & Arizona 2023
anji is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Nov 19, 04:15 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Hi Anji - IMHO I would purchase with Avis for the full insurance, any breakdown/blameless accident should see Avis arrange for collection whilst bringing you another vehicle.

Have a smashing holiday when you head off
Old 9 Nov 19, 05:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Spud_work
Trying for More Ears

Check Avis sites across Europe for potentially cheaper prices. I found prices that were vastly cheaper on my Canadian rental by going via Avis.de same insurance and excess and it is also linked to my preferred account. You might also want to think about not having a car as you don't need one in vancouver or Victoria and it might work out cheaper to do this via public transport especially when you factor the BC ferries price in so you can get across to the island

Edited at 05:27 PM.
Spud_work is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Nov 19, 05:41 PM  
Link to this Post
anji
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Spud_work View Post
Check Avis sites across Europe for potentially cheaper prices. I found prices that were vastly cheaper on my Canadian rental by going via Avis.de same insurance and excess and it is also linked to my preferred account. You might also want to think about not having a car as you don't need one in vancouver or Victoria and it might work out cheaper to do this via public transport especially when you factor the BC ferries price in so you can get across to the island
Thanks, I'll have a look at that. We have Avis preferred too, so sounds good!
We're picking up the car when we leave Vancouver and handing it back when we arrive in Victoria. We intend getting a later Ferry to Naniamo from Horseshoe Bay so that we can go to Squamish on the way.

Edit ... Avis 361 euros on German site, 241 euros on French site!

Edited at 01:08 AM.
anji is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Nov 19, 06:20 PM  
Link to this Post
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer

DH has Hertz through work so we get some bits included apart from the excess. We bought an annual policy through a company called Eversure, dh did most of the stuff about it but I think it was something silly like £38 for the year which also covered us when we went back in May. I'm afraid I don't know if that was specifically Canada or included the US as well, I know they are a lot different for hire car terms.