Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 24 Oct 19, 08:35 AM  
Link to this Post
amy56
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Twentyyears View Post
Do any of you have a advice on use year month? Is my April strategy sound?
Thanks?
The only query with having two different use years, would mean you’d have two different membership numbers (that’s assuming I understand it correctly!) - so if you ever needed to combine your points for one seven month reservation, you would need MS to transfer points between the two contracts, and then would be bound by the rules of transferred in points.

I own at two resorts but with the same use year, so my points are all under one account - as I tend to use my points for stays elsewhere, such as Aulani, it suits me best to have one contract. However, many owners operate more than one membership, particularly where they use specific points for specific home resorts - so no need to combine points from both resorts for seven month bookings.

As we tend to go less often now, but for longer stays, we tend to need to bank/borrow/combine points from all contracts - I think my holidaying style would be slightly more complicated if I had more than one membership, but ymmv.👍
amy56 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Oct 19, 08:42 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Thanks Karen, it is the juggling of exchange rate versus January, which we had heard is good time to buy. Brexit!
Karen gives good advice that usually happened but:

1. The January dip didn't seem to happen last year, or negligible (I was buying late last year).
2. If these price rises do come in, resale prices could go up anyway.
3. On exchange rate, I've bought contracts with a v poor exchange rate, but it's been a lot cheaper than paying OOP which is what I'd have done if I'd waited, and the contracts have gone up in value anyway. Sometimes you can overthink it. You buy expecting it will cost you money, then you will not be disappointed. Very unlikely we will see exchange rates up over 150 for some time and the old days of 180 again? Well I'm not a currency speculator but I do see that UK income per household nowadays is $20k less than US due to poor productivity and wage growth- and back in the 1990s we were higher.
4. You can overthink use years. The only time it matters is if you buy the contract with points on- can you use and/ or bank in time (moreso if it had banked points that would be lost). The only other time is if you have to cancel or if you already have a contract then definitely buy same use year. And you may end up going very different times than you anticipate - I never thought I'd be going Xmas, but am this year and next. So if you already have a contract I'd buy the same use year personally as the points are merged on booking and you will want to likely combine those points in future.

Edited at 08:45 AM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Oct 19, 10:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Twentyyears
VIP Dibber

Thank you all great points. I am rethinking different use year, I can see it may all get a it complicated and I may forget where is am with banking and borrowing. And not waiting, just trying to buy a good contract that suits when we see it!

Edited at 10:47 PM.
Twentyyears is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Oct 19, 01:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Twentyyears
VIP Dibber

Ok guys we are pitching in with an offer- however the contract has full 2019 points with August use year.
it is asking if we will pay 2019 dues or the seller, or split pro rata based on points? Not months available to use the points ? Since we pay monthly now and will do so again should we offer to pay- it is an ideal contract for us ?
Twentyyears is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Oct 19, 01:33 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mobile

Ok guys we are pitching in with an offer- however the contract has full 2019 points with August use year.
it is asking if we will pay 2019 dues or the seller, or split pro rata based on points? Not months available to use the points ? Since we pay monthly now and will do so again should we offer to pay- it is an ideal contract for us ?
They will have paid the dues, so usual is you get them dues free. You'll be paying more per point to partly compensate.

You'll be able to bank them to next year or rent out to part offset against your purchase.

Good luck.
Old 26 Oct 19, 02:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Twentyyears
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
They will have paid the dues, so usual is you get them dues free. You'll be paying more per point to partly compensate.

You'll be able to bank them to next year or rent out to part offset against your purchase.

Good luck.
Thank you for that quick reply, form is ready to go!
Old 26 Oct 19, 02:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Twentyyears
VIP Dibber

Ok part one done, offer sent!
Old 26 Oct 19, 02:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Twentyyears
VIP Dibber

Just a thought, if it goes through, or another contract, do most people use XE for the wire transfer? Or are they too good to be true. When we bought direct we paid by credit card and got rakes of miles!
Old 26 Oct 19, 04:49 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Just a thought, if it goes through, or another contract, do most people use XE for the wire transfer? Or are they too good to be true. When we bought direct we paid by credit card and got rakes of miles!
I use XE. The other main one is Transferwise, but someone (SKStorm from memory, I think) had issues with Transferwise and had to switch to XE.
Transferwise usually offers a slightly better rate, but also imposes a transaction fee which brings it down to little or no difference.
I have used XE 3 times with no issues. It’s always worth also bearing in mind risk, there’s a small period when the money is in their account. Now it’s meant to be protected but even so. XE is a huge company and does for example, the Post Office (or at least did when I last researched them).
Old 26 Oct 19, 07:21 PM  
Link to this Post
tigger48
VIP Dibber

Twentyyears we used XE recently too for our resale purchase using dvcresalemarket and magic vacation title. XE were fine, but the wire transfer details MVT gave us for their local IBERIABANK address didn’t go through the first time as IBERIABANK refused to accept the funds?! We retried using the default of IBERIABANK head office (same ABA number) and that worked. Good luck with ROFR.
tigger48 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List