Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 23 Oct 19, 03:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney1sttimers
slightly serious Dibber

Don't give up. I had to resign 12 years ago when my youngest daughter was born with complex health issues. After years of hospital appointments, multiple surgeries, etc, I was desperate to get back to work but of course who wants to employ someone who hadn't worked for such a long time. So I did some voluntary work and also worked from home for a friend for free just so I could have something more up to date on my CV. Last month I had my first interview in over 20 years. I didn't get the job but I had another interview last week for the Civil Service and this morning I received a phone call offering me a job! To say I'm over the moon would be a massive understatement.

Sending you lots of luck.
Disney1sttimers is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 19, 07:58 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Disney1sttimers View Post
Don't give up. I had to resign 12 years ago when my youngest daughter was born with complex health issues. After years of hospital appointments, multiple surgeries, etc, I was desperate to get back to work but of course who wants to employ someone who hadn't worked for such a long time. So I did some voluntary work and also worked from home for a friend for free just so I could have something more up to date on my CV. Last month I had my first interview in over 20 years. I didn't get the job but I had another interview last week for the Civil Service and this morning I received a phone call offering me a job! To say I'm over the moon would be a massive understatement.

Well done! I know I have to patient and stay positive but every rejection hurts as I know I am a good employee and just want to be given a chance to work.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 19, 08:10 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Moorlandman View Post
Brexit is causing a big slow down in recruitment. I have a number of IT contractor friends on the bench ( unemployed)

It’s even more difficult trying to find a part time job. Sometimes (especially public sector roles) it is worth applying for full time roles and then trying to negotiate part time hours once you have secured a role.

Good luck
Never going back to public sector work - that's where I left, they don't care and are not as flexible as they claim to be.
Old 23 Oct 19, 08:13 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by djewkes View Post
Have you thought about working for 111? If you can work unsocial hours and weekends? If you’re interested I can look for a link?

jobs.nhs.uk/xi/vacancy/?vac_ref=915800558

This is for Derby, but there’s bases in Leicester and Chesterfield...if that’s not too far... but also use the jobs.nhs.uk site to look for admin roles?
Good luck
Thanks, but I am not good with unsocial hours/weekend really, still have chemo related fatigue and get tired really fast if I over do things or my sleep is messed up/out of routine.

I keep checking NHS for jobs, have applied for one recently but not shortlisted.
Old 23 Oct 19, 08:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Twinklestar1
VIP Dibber

Twinklestar1's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by Disney1sttimers View Post

Congratulations- well done !
Old 23 Oct 19, 09:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Astrid
Imagineer

Astrid's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Have you thought of joining the NHS as bank staff? In our area they are very short of bank staff (admin/reception etc etc) and I managed to get on their books very quickly and easily.

They have someone from HR moving round different Trust places each week for an hour waiting for people to drop in and apply.

May be worth considering as you pick and choose what you can do. I have some more information here if you want to know anymore just drop me a PM.

Good luck with your search

October '89 - Quality Inn; March '99 & March '01 - Comfort Inn LBV; March '02 - ASMu; May '03 - Royal Plaza, Hard Rock & Polynesian;
December '03 - Grand Marriot, Hard Rock & Dolphin; May '04 - Dolphin & WDW Yacht Club
October '05 - Hard Rock & Villa; May/June '07 - Villa & RPH; Feb '09 - Villa; Oct/Nov '13 - Villa
April '18 - Hard Rock; Sept ‘19 - Villa
Astrid is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Oct 19, 11:37 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Astrid View Post
Have you thought of joining the NHS as bank staff? In our area they are very short of bank staff (admin/reception etc etc) and I managed to get on their books very quickly and easily.

They have someone from HR moving round different Trust places each week for an hour waiting for people to drop in and apply.

May be worth considering as you pick and choose what you can do. I have some more information here if you want to know anymore just drop me a PM.

Good luck with your search
Thanks for this idea. I will have a look today and see if I can register.
Old 24 Oct 19, 11:39 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by THOscar View Post
Look look at the Unis and colleges in your region. They're constantly looking for admin work and often have PT positions. Tend to be better with school holidays too.
I will look today although we are a good 1hr drive from Uni
Old 24 Oct 19, 11:51 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by aitchieaitchie View Post
Thanks for this idea. I will have a look today and see if I can register.
Just tried to register but my local 2 hospitals are not in any of the Trusts shown to register with. Will have to investigate further.
Old 24 Oct 19, 02:48 PM  
Link to this Post
THOscar
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by aitchieaitchie View Post
I will look today although we are a good 1hr drive from Uni
Where abouts are you? Might give us an idea what kind of industries are about to suggest things.
THOscar is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List