Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Old 14 Nov 19, 06:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Northerndave
Being a bit Goofy

Absolutely do not send those details. I'm not saying the Villa 'owner' isn't legit, but as you've already provided name and address details, you're basically giving them enough information to go on a mad spending spree ! Followed by a nice bit of identity theft.

I'd be considering if I wanted to book with them at all after that request. Can you post the HomeAway reference code (normally 6 digits) as you'll find Dibbers will soon spot if it looks genuine or not.
Old 14 Nov 19, 07:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney_time
Imagineer

Disney_time's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
I used HomeAway earlier this year, and the security deposit was added to the amount I paid via homeaway, then refunded to my card after we got home.

However ... the owner stated in correspondence by email (rather than through Homeaway messaging, which Homeaway can see) that she did not accept payment via Homeaway, and would like payment by PayPal. I thought this was strange and took advice on here and also read the advice on Homeaway website. They said the owner should only communicate with you via Homeaway and if they are emailing you asking for money otherwise, it is probably because they are trying to get out of paying commission.

I worried about making the final payment for months, in case she cancelled the condo, but when the due date came, I simply paid it by Credit card (including security deposit) via the homeaway website "pay now" button and everything was fine, I got no more grumbling from the owner and she returned the deposit promptly.

A few years ago, a condo owner wanted me to email my CC details as he dealt with payment himself, rather than through any agency. I phoned him with the number which he thought was strange, but I explained I wasn't putting those details in an email. He must have written down and kept my cc details though, as he ended up charging us twice a few days apart, though he did refund us promptly when I pointed it out. He may have been "at it" or he may just have had trouble with his CC machine.

To the OP, the owner might normally ask for this kind of detail, but if you didn't want to send CC details, don't do it. Just explain you want to do everything through HomeAway due to their guarantee. They shouldn't object if they are legit.
Old 15 Nov 19, 10:39 AM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Holding onto a cheque and not banking it for a security deposit is useless as the guest can then cancel it if they cause damage. We return security deposits as soon as our house is checked, normally within 48 hours.
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Nov 19, 01:05 PM  
Link to this Post
claireyfairy8
Apprentice Imagineer

claireyfairy8's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 6

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
I would not ask a guest for theirs nor give out my own cc details...

That is a red flag for me.
claireyfairy8 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Nov 19, 02:13 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Home away ate hardly going to give unbiased advice are they?
That said no no and thrice no to giving cc details.
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Nov 19, 02:56 PM  
Link to this Post
AnnieB
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Northerndave View Post
Absolutely do not send those details. I'm not saying the Villa 'owner' isn't legit, but as you've already provided name and address details, you're basically giving them enough information to go on a mad spending spree ! Followed by a nice bit of identity theft.

I'd be considering if I wanted to book with them at all after that request. Can you post the HomeAway reference code (normally 6 digits) as you'll find Dibbers will soon spot if it looks genuine or not.
Thank you for all the super helpful replies.

The reference code for the property is 284051.

The homeaway booking includes a Refundable Damage Deposit of $1. The £500 credit card 'hold' is being requested separately.

The other thing which bothers me is that the homeaway site quite clearly states that cancellation is free up to 2 months before the stay with a 100% refund. This is one of the reasons why we chose the villa.

But the owner's own document says we will lose a $350 booking deposit if we cancel now. Is this allowed?

I am on the verge of cancelling - will I get the full amount back though?
AnnieB is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Nov 19, 03:12 PM  
Link to this Post
AnnieB
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Magnificent View Post
Only spent a few minutes on this so haven't looked at this in detail but no red flags showing on a quick look:

- the surname matches to the Osceola County property appraiser's website - in other words, the name of the owner on HomeAway is consistent with the name of an owner in the same street/community

- it shouldn't be a surprise that the owner takes security deposit this way as to be fair to the owner the listing does clearly say 'Security Deposit: Credit Card Authorization' so if you didn't want to do this, you'd have been better not to book.

But if you're not sure - there are plenty more checks you could do - see my sticky for how. Not sure how you will get on with cancelling, given the T&C was clearly disclosed upfront, but you could always ask and you may be able to cancel given there is a deviation between the owner's policy and HomeAway's policy.
Thank you for taking the time to check. I guess I should have read it more carefully.

If we do decide to go ahead, I am not sure how to securely send them the credit card details.
AnnieB is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Nov 19, 04:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Northerndave
Being a bit Goofy

Magnificent has really helped you here OP, great advice.

I looked at the HomeAway listing and for me there are no red flags. The things I look for initially are:

How long the owners have been on the site, their replies to less than favourable reviews, the number of reviews, the timescale of those reviews, the details about the villa and neighbourhood and weirdly the availability calendar and how up to date it is.

That villa would have definitely made my shortlist. I'd see what the options are for paying the deposit, rather than giving the CVC code. Hope that helps.

Good luck with whatever option you take