Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 17 Nov 19, 09:32 AM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Mobile

Yes - in a heart beat

I once flew to Canberra for a day (meeting) with BA . London to Sydney with a stop in Bangkok where we could stay onboard (I did - was in Club in upper deck and just walked about for the hour ) then quick change at Sydney to Canberra. Very doable but I was 14 years younger than I am today !
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 19, 09:33 AM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

Originally Posted by munmun View Post
Yes I would, only in buisness. Currently considering the Quantas non stop to Perth that is two hours less.

Not sure how we know it’s worse for the environment yet as they haven’t yet created the plane that can take a full load to do the trip.
Originally Posted by Chair1519 View Post
Interesting. They were claiming on the radio that it was better enviromentally as the amount of fuel needed to take off and land is when its at its greatest and therefore only doing each once was better.
It’s due to the plane carrying so much fuel to do such a long journey, so it is heavier, which increases fuel consumption over two-flight journeys until the latter part of the journey.

Even when they come up with a plane to do the trip at capacity, I don’t see how that can change unless they come up with a fuel which doesn’t emit CO2.
Old 17 Nov 19, 09:35 AM  
Link to this Post
llamala
Imagineer

Mobile

Think I could manage it flying out to Oz, as we are in a good holiday mood, but would find it difficult on the route back. So would plan to split the flight back with a stop over.
llamala is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 19, 09:59 AM  
Link to this Post
sueandco
Imagineer

sueandco's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 4
Like so many previous posters I would in Business (or First) but no way in economy. I know they say to get up and walk around regularly but in economy there is so little room to do this with densification.
Old 17 Nov 19, 11:53 AM  
Link to this Post
DiszeeBelle
Imagineer

Mobile

Possibly in business class but others no. However Ive actually never fancied going to Australia so how I would get there isnt an issue haha
DiszeeBelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 19, 12:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
This story is more a great piece of PR by Qantas than some dramatic lengthening of flight times.

Singapore Airlines fly direct from Newark to Singapore (and vice versa), a flight that takes 18.5 hours give or take, and there are other flights nudging 18 hours such as Qatar's Auckland to Doha route and United's Houston to Sydney.

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 19, 12:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill635
Imagineer

Gill635's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Absolutely not, even in club.

For me, being trapped in a tin can in the air for that long would drive me demented. I need to be able to wonder round and breathe fresh air. Not to mention the state the toilets will end up in!

No, I’d rather break the journey up each way with a couple of nights stay somewhere. Gives me change to acclimatise and to have a shower

Why do you always feel so filthy grubby getting off a plane?
Old 17 Nov 19, 12:26 PM  
Link to this Post
paw
Imagineer

We flew Singapore - London. 13+ hours in economy. Thought I was going to die it was so uncomfortable. My legs and bottom hurt so much.

We then flew Auckland to London with a 2 hour stopover in LA. So 22.5 hours in the air and 2 hours in LA. We had an economy couch seat which with the break and a different direction made a massive difference. We were quite refreshed when we landed.

If we ever do such long haul,again I want a bed!
paw is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 19, 12:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Posiesmum
VIP Dibber

Posiesmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 3
We’re looking at Australia next year. We’d do it, but in business. We’ve no interest in a layover on a split flight, so if we did that we’d just get off one plane and onto another. Currently looking at Qantas and Qatar airlines for non direct.

Villefranche-sur-Mer/Monaco - June and July 2024
Orlando for Thanksgiving - November/December 2024
Belfast/Dublin/Vancouver - June 2025
Posiesmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 19, 11:59 PM  
Link to this Post
JAF
Imagineer

Having flown to Auckland twice this year would go this route if possible. Depending on the route some of the lay overs are quite long which is almost as bad as being on the plane for endless hours.
JAF is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List