Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 20 Nov 19, 11:20 AM  
Link to this Post
Stitch & Smudge
Imagineer

Taking this slightly off topic. I’m all for equality especially in the workplace in regards to wages etc. My youngest son is currently at school and interested in science and engineering. All good so far. I understand that universities and employers are trying to encourage more women and girls into STEM subjects and jobs, but a couple of universities and colleges up here are having open days and weeks as an introduction to science in the workplace where only girls are allowed to attend. I can somewhat understand this and it wouldn’t bother me if the same opportunity was there for my son, who would love to go to some of these events. But because it’s seen as a given that boys will gravitate towards these kind of careers they are being given little to no encouragement whatsoever. Except for Sky, who have arranged open days, open to all. Thanks SKY.
Stitch & Smudge is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Nov 19, 12:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by novocastrian View Post
snap

an american corporation ?
Nope.

It's a UK subsidiary of a French company.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Nov 19, 01:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Stitch & Smudge View Post
Taking this slightly off topic. I’m all for equality especially in the workplace in regards to wages etc. My youngest son is currently at school and interested in science and engineering. All good so far. I understand that universities and employers are trying to encourage more women and girls into STEM subjects and jobs, but a couple of universities and colleges up here are having open days and weeks as an introduction to science in the workplace where only girls are allowed to attend. I can somewhat understand this and it wouldn’t bother me if the same opportunity was there for my son, who would love to go to some of these events. But because it’s seen as a given that boys will gravitate towards these kind of careers they are being given little to no encouragement whatsoever. Except for Sky, who have arranged open days, open to all. Thanks SKY.
This year, more girls sat A-levels in science subjects than boys. Female students made up 50.3 per cent of entries in biology, chemistry and physics at A-level, whereas boys made up 49.7 per cent of entries.

independent/news/e...-a9059196.html

It's excellent news to hear that the ratio of males to females in science subjects is now equal. But it does now mean that there is no need to exclude boys from science-related open days, like the ones you mention. Mind you, I would argue there was never a need to exclude boys whilst encouraging girls.

We should not discriminate based on gender. Full Stop. We should be encouraging everyone to take up science subjects and science-based careers and be promoting role models of any gender in these areas.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List