Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by BarryL View Post
I think that reflects weaker summer demand over the past 2 or 3 years.
I don't have figures at hand but I'm sure summer months used to be relatively more expensive
I just find it surprising that it seems to imply June and July are the two quietest months after January. Assuming demand relates to how busy it is.

I knew demand has weakened in the summer holidays compared to previous years. But I didn't think demand was so low in those months that there's now less demand in June and July than in August, September, May, or most of February. I still assumed June/July were busy, just not as busy as before.

Originally Posted by loves2plan View Post
Yes, they're UK price brackets so will be priced for us and our peak holidays. I'm guessing US price brackets will be different to reflect their peak periods. Makes sense really
It does make sense...

However!

Considering the rooms are common between US and UK visitors (and others), I assumed the room rate was based on overall demand across all visitors. Thus, when rooms were in demand during peak periods in the USA then that lack of availability would be reflected in the room rate here in the UK too.

It's how it works for other hotels. If I want to stay in a hotel in America during an American holiday then the room rate is usually more, irregardless of whether it's a holiday here in the UK. That's because demand for those rooms is greater (albeit from Americans, not British).

I know the overall price of the holiday will reflect local holiday periods - so here in the UK the price of a holiday will be more during half-term holidays, for example - but that's usually down to flight prices.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 19, 01:45 PM  
Link to this Post
loves2plan
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
I just find it surprising that it seems to imply June and July are the two quietest months after January. Assuming demand relates to how busy it is.

I knew demand has weakened in the summer holidays compared to previous years. But I didn't think demand was so low in those months that there's now less demand in June and July than in August, September, May, or most of February. I still assumed June/July were busy, just not as busy as before.

It does make sense...

However!

Considering the rooms are common between US and UK visitors (and others), I assumed the room rate was based on overall demand across all visitors. Thus, when rooms were in demand during peak periods in the USA then that lack of availability would be reflected in the room rate here in the UK too.

It's how it works for other hotels. If I want to stay in a hotel in America during an American holiday then the room rate is usually more, irregardless of whether it's a holiday here in the UK. That's because demand for those rooms is greater (albeit from Americans, not British).

I know the overall price of the holiday will reflect local holiday periods - so here in the UK the price of a holiday will be more during half-term holidays, for example - but that's usually down to flight prices.
Yes, but they're not really 'just' hotels are they? They're selling you a complete holiday experience, be that with or without flights (or trying to). The WDTC is a completely separate company to the US company and it makes perfect sense to price their holidays according to our peak seasons - the markets that they are selling too. For standard hotels in the US, yes, they'll have 1 price based on their biggest market - the US. They won't have a completely separate business to sell the hotel/holidays to UK customers. They're more likely to use a UK travel agent for that side of things, which will then be priced according to UK demand. Of course, they'll also be available on the various hotel booking sites, which are more likely to reflect US prices. People book a Disney hotel because they want the Disney experience, not because they want a hotel in Orlando.

POFQ: Our 'once in a lifetime' trip, 31.10 - 14.11.12
SSR: 40th birthday trip, 02 - 16.01.14
SSR 2 bed villa: my mums first trip, 07 - 21.02.15
POR: An unexpected Easter break, 02 - 15.04.16
CBR: Another unexpected Easter trip, 29.03 - 12.04.17
CBR: 18th birthday surprise trip, 21.10 - 4.11.19
CBR & CBBR 3 week WDW & US, 05 - 27.09.22

Easter QSDP food report April 17

2nd Easter QSDP food report, Oct 19
loves2plan is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 19, 03:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Yes, but they're not really 'just' hotels are they? They're selling you a complete holiday experience, be that with or without flights (or trying to). The WDTC is a completely separate company to the US company and it makes perfect sense to price their holidays according to our peak seasons - the markets that they are selling too. For standard hotels in the US, yes, they'll have 1 price based on their biggest market - the US. They won't have a completely separate business to sell the hotel/holidays to UK customers. They're more likely to use a UK travel agent for that side of things, which will then be priced according to UK demand. Of course, they'll also be available on the various hotel booking sites, which are more likely to reflect US prices. People book a Disney hotel because they want the Disney experience, not because they want a hotel in Orlando.
I get what you are saying and, yes, it does make sense.

It just seems strange that WDTC would sell a room at a Disney hotel at a cheaper price during times when availability of those rooms is low because demand is high.

I suppose if the pool of rooms available to WDTC is completely separate to the pool of rooms available to Americans then it would make sense. The two would not be competing for the same rooms.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 19, 03:40 PM  
Link to this Post
loves2plan
VIP Dibber

I get what you are saying and, yes, it does make sense.

It just seems strange that WDTC would sell a room at a Disney hotel at a cheaper price during times when availability of those rooms is low because demand is high.

I suppose if the pool of rooms available to WDTC is completely separate to the pool of rooms available to Americans then it would make sense. The two would not be competing for the same rooms.
Yes, WDTC has their own allocation of rooms, as does the US company. Often people will find a room available on the US site and not the UK site, because of this. I'm sure our allocation for the Thanks Giving period is much lower than the US allocation, whereas we've probably got more rooms available for October half term than the US, just as an example. I'm sure Disney have carefully worked it out to make it most profitable for them

Edited at 03:42 PM.
loves2plan is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 19, 07:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Yes, WDTC has their own allocation of rooms, as does the US company. Often people will find a room available on the US site and not the UK site, because of this. I'm sure our allocation for the Thanks Giving period is much lower than the US allocation, whereas we've probably got more rooms available for October half term than the US, just as an example. I'm sure Disney have carefully worked it out to make it most profitable for them
Oh, most probably.

I suppose that means if someone wanted to get an idea of which month was cheapest and they were booking on the UK website then it's probably not a good idea to look at USA statistics and figures. Because they won't reflect the UK pricing structure.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Old 21 Nov 19, 07:28 PM  
Link to this Post
loves2plan
VIP Dibber

Oh, most probably.

I suppose that means if someone wanted to get an idea of which month was cheapest and they were booking on the UK website then it's probably not a good idea to look at USA statistics and figures. Because they won't reflect the UK pricing structure.
Exactly. That's why CosmicGirl looks at the UK figures and those are the ones I posted originally for the OP