Notices
TV and Film This forum is for those DIBB members that want to discuss TV and Films.

Old 25 Feb 17, 01:05 PM  
Link to this Post

Hidden figures - really thought provoking film

Went to see this with both my mother (70+) and my dd (11) yesterday.

We all came away saying what an inspiring and thought provoking film. True life story of women achieving against the odds, feminism and racial segregation.

It was a surprisingly touching film and I feel privileged to have learned more about these amazing women who led the charge on female emancipation and overcoming racial stereotypes.

Will be going to KSC this time again, and will look at the control rooms with new eyes. I understand that NASA have renamed one of their main KSC buildings after Katherine Johnson one of the trio of women whose lives we see a snapshot of.

My mum, my dd and I all came away saying that it was really uplifting.
Plus made us realise how far we have come in such a relatively short period of time. To the moon, satellites in orbit, computing power on our phones and thank God, no segregated bathrooms, libraries or lives.

Will take my other DD 17 to watch this too. Something she needs to see. She only has it easy because others have trodden a difficult path before her.

Edited at 01:46 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 17, 01:15 PM  
Link to this Post
NatOwls
Imagineer

We watched this film a few weeks ago & were blown away by it!
Even though we were away of the segregation issues that were evident in that era, to see for ourself the impacts it had on day to day life was dreadful - even when individuals were in vital roles!

Had a conversation with DH aft wards in regards to if we thought we would have agreed & complied with the segregation, but I guess the majority of people knew nothing different growing up!

Must have been a terrible time to live in, however Katherine & her friends were such an inspiration to everyone who has a dream to succeed
NatOwls is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 17, 01:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Miss_Tangled
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Inspirational women. Nominated for a few Oscars so fingers crossed.
* Tarpon Springs '07 * New York '07 * Hampton Lakes '09 * Mission Park March '11 * Four Corners Sep '11 * Dream Castle DLP December '12 * Florida Pines '14 & Grand Floridian Everglades Suite! * New York City...Surprise 30th December '14 * Lindfields & Grand Floridian September '15 * 1st trip with our little lady! WDW September '17 * DLP February ‘18 * 3 wks POR September '19 *
Miss_Tangled is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 17, 01:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Twin mummy
Imagineer

Twin mummy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
My daughter said the other day that she wants to see this, might see if it's on at our local cinema tomorrow.
Old 25 Feb 17, 01:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell 1
Imagineer

Mobile

Oh looking forward to this. DD (17) and I go to the cinema one a fortnight when DH is on his late shift, this is next on our list.
Tinkerbell 1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 17, 01:32 PM  
Link to this Post
deeley
Imagineer

Mobile

Is it suitable for a ten year old
I really want to see it with my kids
Covid cancelled Aug 2020!
Back to NYC Dec 22
deeley is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 17, 01:42 PM  
Link to this Post

My dd is 11 (I put 12 in the first post - going senile !) and she is a young 11.
There are some powerful messages in it, but it is beautifully shot and a good story. So might get the deeper messaging, may not. But I talked it through with her and she said that she had learnt about Rosa Parks in school and segregation meaning having to sit at the back of the bus, but hadnt realised about all the rest of it.

It is a gentle film, no violence, but the racism is more horrific for just being "the way of things". I dont think she got that bit.

She did come away understanding the power of dreams and standing up for yourself. Good messages to have.

I dont think I would go much younger than 10 though.

Edited at 01:44 PM.
Old 25 Feb 17, 02:15 PM  
Link to this Post

it was a very uplifting film.
Old 25 Feb 17, 04:01 PM  
Link to this Post
deeley
Imagineer

Mobile

Brilliant
I'm going to book it then, thank you!
Covid cancelled Aug 2020!
Back to NYC Dec 22
deeley is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 17, 04:36 PM  
Link to this Post
orlando10
Apprentice Imagineer

Hi
I am so looking forward to going to see this, I watched The Help with Octavia Spencer and she was fab in that so hoping this will just as good. The Help too was thought provoking and about standing up for what is right and trying to change things.
I love stories like this and have just finished reading Small Great Things about racism in today's society.
DLP 2016, 2018

Edited at 04:42 PM.
orlando10 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List