Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 28 Jan 17, 11:33 AM  
Link to this Post
Queen of Herts
Imagineer

Queen of Herts's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
We also had our owner's closet broken into and things stolen but as they had re-locked it we don't know who or when it was done. Things disappeared like the iPod dock. You want it to be your home from home but it really isn't unfortunately.

I used to do all of my own rentals and as Windsor Hills resort was/is extremely popular I did OK but most of the enquiries came in late on a Sunday night and it was exhausting.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I would say unless you are rich and can afford to lock it and leave it, I would steer well clear and maybe look at somewhere in the UK you can keep a better eye on.
Queen of Herts is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 17, 03:17 PM  
Link to this Post
EllieP
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Queen of Herts View Post
We also had our owner's closet broken into and things stolen but as they had re-locked it we don't know who or when it was done. Things disappeared like the iPod dock. You want it to be your home from home but it really isn't unfortunately.

I used to do all of my own rentals and as Windsor Hills resort was/is extremely popular I did OK but most of the enquiries came in late on a Sunday night and it was exhausting.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I would say unless you are rich and can afford to lock it and leave it, I would steer well clear and maybe look at somewhere in the UK you can keep a better eye on.
Oh my goodness that is terrible. It is unbelievable what some people do, and to other people's belongings. We visited Windsor hills last year, it is a beautiful resort.

Don't be sorry I wanted true life experiences, and I knew the DIBB would be the best place to get these. We love visiting Orlando as a family but as people have pointed out, it is easier to visit someone else's home and not have the hassle.
EllieP is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 17, 03:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Lovesholidays
Imagineer

Lovesholidays's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 6
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Brilliant thread, have wanted to know this myself for a long time as I hoped we would eventually buy a villa for ourselves, however it looks highly unlikely unfortunately our plan to spend a few months per year in Florida once hubby retires will now be in someone else's home...
Lovesholidays is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 17, 03:48 PM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

me ex boss would echo these sentiments

he had a nightmare with renters treating the place like no one would treat their own home

spillages, dragging cases upstairs scraping walls, damaged furniture/fittings etc etc

in the end he would only rent to people whose homes he could actually visit and 'interview' the prospective renters, massively reducing the potential market

as far as i know in the end he handed the keys back & walked away $$$$ out of pocket...
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 17, 04:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Mexy02
VIP Dibber

Mexy02's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
We looked into it but came to the conclusion we may as well just go for a month at a time instead and pick up cheap flights as we could go whenever when we are without the kids/retired.
Yacht club / Bahama bay oct/Nov 2019 , poly
Nov 2022 boulder ridge, Polynesian , AOA and Bahama bay
Sept 24 POFQ
Mexy02 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 17, 04:51 PM  
Link to this Post
quartergill
VIP Dibber

Some of the above is quite disheartening in that people would treat someone else's home like that. I would be on tenterhooks if I owned a place and rented it out. That is why we rent every year. Treat the place like your own. When we rent my wife insists in cleaning the house before we leave.
quartergill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 17, 05:06 PM  
Link to this Post
soooexcited!
Imagineer

soooexcited!'s Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Mobile

I know two people who have owned and sold in Florida for all the reasons mentioned. I always leave any holiday rental home or abroad spotless as I always think it's a reflection on us as a family.
Old 28 Jan 17, 05:18 PM  
Link to this Post
EllieP
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by soooexcited! View Post
I know two people who have owned and sold in Florida for all the reasons mentioned. I always leave any holiday rental home or abroad spotless as I always think it's a reflection on us as a family.
Ditto! I cannot believe people do this to other people's property. I am so careful when I rent and treat it as if it was my own home.
EllieP is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 17, 05:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

I posted earlier we are lucky enough to be here for 3 months which was always our plan
when we bought in 10 years of owning I've had 1wobble which lasted for about 30 mins
Would we do it again yes in a heart beat but we are lucky enough to also spend holidays else where have great friends out here but it will never be nor was expected to be a moneymaker we break even and that's fine but everybody needs to go in with their
eyes open be prepared for unpleasant guests and have the funds at hand to replace
Repair items immediately it's hard work fun and at times very time consuming but we've always said the first time we pull in the drive and don't get that thrill of being home 🏡
here in Florida we will sell
Gryff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 17, 05:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Eureka
Excited about Disney

Eureka's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
We have only owned our house for just over a year - March this year being the first full rental year due to it being a new build and getting all the furniture in etc.

We are also disappointed at the way people treat our house - its not how we would treat other peoples and have had ipod dock stolen, throws stolen, remote controls, hangers, damages not reported etc and the tax bill was a total shock!

We re-mortgaged our house here to buy the one in florida, hoping we could bring money back to then pay off the mortgage but also did worst case and the maths to make sure we could afford it if we didn't get any rental income at all.

Luckily we are renting the house, but covering off all the other costs mentioned previously we are just breaking even. However, as certain big items have been damaged beyond repair we know in the next 6 months we are going to have some big bills coming in.

Our lesson, people don't treat your house with the same respect as you yourself do and it is surprising what they think they can, and do, do.