Old 4 Feb 17, 01:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Beaker7929
Imagineer

Beaker7929's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 101
The Glowtini Girls do DLP - Day 3 - Who's got the rum?

How is it day 3 already?

Our usual morning routine kicked off with Anna getting up around 6.30am and me around 7am. After a shower and a cup of tea we headed down to breakfast at 8am.

We once again feasted on cereal and toast, noticing that it appeared busier in the breakfast room than it had the day before.

We headed back to our room to layer up and grab all our stuff needed for the day ahead, and to take in the gorgeous view that had appeared now that the sun was coming up.

We left Sequoia Lodge at 8.45am and headed straight for the Disneyland Park for Extra Magic Hours.

On arriving at the gates there was a lot of confusion as to how hotel guests could get into the park. We've not arrived at the park gates this late into Extra Magic Hours before and it looked like they were holding back non-hotel guests rather than letting them in to Main Street. We eventually spotted a gate that was open, to the right of the main entrance, cheekily hopped over a rope and finally got through the turnstiles into the park.

Our mission was to get into the queue for Peter Pan, we've not been on this ride since the refurbishment and we'd already seen queues of over 40 mins on Thursday and Friday so knew this was our only opportunity to ride it.

With a wait time of 35 minutes we jumped in the queue. Although it was 35 minutes before we rode the queue kept moving so it didn't feel like we waited that long at all.

The ride is looking great, the colours are so much brighter and everything sparkles that little bit more. I even noticed in the London scene the little cars driving along the roads, I never seen those before.

After Peter Pan we had a quick loo stop, noticing just how busy the park was, there were a lot of Brownies, Cubs and Scouts in the park, big groups of them with matching outfits and flags.

On exiting the loo's Adventureland was about to open so knowing that Pirates was closed we hot-footed it over to Indiana Jones. Indiana Jones only had a 5 minute wait, which was good as I've never ridden it before and it meant I didn't have too long to work myself into a tizzy!

Turns out, apart from the bit where it goes upside down, it's slower than Big Thunder Mountain! I'd happily ride it again. Something to note on this ride though, and one of the reasons I've never ridden it before is that they are really really hot on the height of children (my kids have been too small on previous trips), so it would be best to warn little ones that they might not get to ride it just to manage their expectations.

After Indiana Jones Anna insisted that we visit the toilets in this area (I know, we had just been!) but this was simply to experience how nice they are, they are genuinely the nicest toilets in the park... probably because very few people go down that way and therefore very few people use them

Next we walked through Adventureland into Frontierland and towards Phantom Manor. The queue was showing as 15 minutes, great we thought and took the opportunity for photo's before joining it.

No sooner had we joined the queue then an announcement was made that it had gone technical. Oh well, we made a note to make sure we rode it on our last day.

With that plan scuppered we decided to stay on this side of the park and walked back into Adventureland and to La Cabane de Robinson. This is another first for me, as you'll remember from Tower of Terror, I don't do heights so this has never appealed to me, but with Anna with me to hold my hand I decided it was time.

Everything was fine until right near the top when you can see through the steps, it's a long way down! But I did it, yay me!

Once back down on, and with me practically kissing the ground, we checked the time. It was just coming up to 11am. Knowing that Captain Jack Sparrow was doing his meet and greet at 11.15am that was our next port of call. Stopping to take the obligatory photo's of Skull Rock on our way.

We got into the queue at 10.55am and were around 5th in line.

While waiting we were amazed at the number of people walking over to ride Pirates of the Caribbean. Standing there upon seeing the hoarding and the sign, and dithering over what to do...it still amazes me that people turn up to the park without planning, at the very least checking what rides are closed...perhaps that's just me?

Jack sauntered up and Anna and I visibly swooned

He was fantastic! I asked him if he'd been on the rum that morning, a totally valid question given how much he was swaying, he pointed to the Cast Member taking our photo and said 'She took my rum!'

Captain Jack didn't look at all sure about Anna in this photo...

Skull Rock was next on our list, and we spent a good 20 minutes walking through the caves on our mission to find the once where if you take a photo with a flash you see a skull above you.

This picture was taken from inside the skull looking out...

...and we found it!

Spooky!

Our tummies were starting to rumble at this point, and we remembered that we'd promised ourselves Hakuna Fries on this trip, another first for both of us. Neither of us have ever been in the Hakuna Matata quick service restaurant, wow we've been missing out! Inside is decorated in tribute to The Lion King and you can sit in either Timon or Pumba, we chose Pumba.

They play instrumental versions of all The Lion King songs while you're in there, so obviously we had to sing along! For just 3.59 Euros Anna and I bought a basket each of Hakuna Fries... oh my god, I will never experience chips like them, they are to die for!

They're some kind of hybrid between a chip and a ridged crisps and they are peppery. This is already on the list for when we go back again!

Hunger suitably satisfied we decided that we would head over to Big Thunder Mountain and use our hotel fast pass again, a very good idea given that the queue was at about 85 mins, once again we walked straight on!

Another good reason for getting this done before our 1pm fast pass deadline was that it then went down for most of the afternoon.

The time was approaching 1pm, on our list we needed to visit the Christmas Shop in the Castle and get over to the Chapparal Theatre in time for the Frozen Sing a Long show which was due to start at 1.45pm.

Knowing exactly what we wanted to buy in the Christmas shop that was where we headed next, I bought these gorgeous ceramic decorations. We'd spotted these on Twitter way before Christmas and had them ear-marked to purchase on this trip so we were so pleased to see they still had them.

Christmas decorations purchased we walked over to the back of Frontierland, an area I've not been to since I took my daughter back in 2008!

We entered the Frozen village and joined the queue for the next English show at around 1.15pm, perfect timing, we were about 8 families from the front of the queue. They opened the queue about 20 minutes later and we all filed in to the theatre. Anna and I took up seats just behind the special 'Princess' seating area so had central view of the stage.

This show was great! You can't help but sing along (they provide lyrics on the screens just in case you're not familiar ) The show was about 20 minutes long, just the right length of time for excitable children, and for our bottoms on the wooden bleachers

During Olaf's song the Cast Members bring our giant beach balls for the audience to bounce around above their heads, great fun! Then during Let it Go, it snowed! So magical

On exiting the theatre we decided to have a little look around the Marketplace, there's not a whole lot to see here, but we did take advantage of a photo opportunity with Sven and Olaf.

We then joined the queue to get a cup of tea, but on opening my purse we both spotted the Pause Gormande voucher, we only had 40 minutes till we could use it, why buy tea when you can get it for free!

Next on our to-do list was the Disneyland Railroad, we walked back through Frontierland and up Main Street and got on the train at Main Street station. We did a whole loop of the park before deciding to stay on and get back off at the Fantasyland Station to use our Pause Gormande voucher at Toad Hall (which, notorious for being closed, we knew on this occasion was open!).

After a good rest on the train we arrived at Fantasyland Station, disembarked and took the short walk to Toad Hall. It was really quiet in there so took no time at all to get our free afternoon treat. We sat down and decided to take the opportunity to phone home and check in with our respective families.

While in Fantasyland we thought we would check out the queue time for Pinocchio and were shocked to see it at 45 minutes, err no thanks!

It was then finally time for Anna to uphold her part of the 'scary ride' bargain. So mine had been that I would ride Tower of Terror, Mel had said that she would ride Rock n rollercoaster, so now all that was left was for Anna to ride the Mad Hatter Tea Cups...yes you heard me right, the Mad Hatter Tea Cups...

In fairness to Anna it's a motion sickness thing which I do understand, but still Tower of Terror vs the Tea Cups

Tea cups done we walked past It's a Small World towards Main Street to take our positions up by Main Street Station ready for the parade. While passing Pizza Bella Notte we bumped into Princess Aurora, Merida and Snow White just walking along, presumably heading for their parade float!

The parade starts at 4.45pm down by It's a Small World so we knew it wouldn't reach us until about 5pm. We were lucky that the family in front of us chose to sit on the pavement so we had a great view.

I've seen this parade many times but it still manages to excite me everytime! On this occasion I called out to a few characters, with no success...until Hatter came past, he heard me call out to him, came over, took my hand, kissed it and declared that it was his 'unbirthday' I wished him a very happy unbirthday and off he went, amazing!

It was finally time to head back to Sequoia Lodge for a well earned rest and cup of tea in the Golden Forest Lounge.

After a sit down Anna told me about the surroundings of Sequoia Lodge and the beaver dam, so we took a walk around the outside of the hotel eventually finding the dam that she remembered. Unfortunately it was too dark to take photo's. We agreed that we would look again next time we came.

This evening's plan was to chill in our room, drink Prosecco and watch the Star Wars projection show and Dreams from the comfort of our pyjama's

We did this on our last trip (just watching Dreams obviously) and it remains a favourite thing to do. We were so lucky with our view this time.

Once both shows were finished we got dressed again and left the hotel for our 9pm booking at the Cape Cod restaurant in the Newport Bay hotel.

In the queue we noticed that 2 families ahead of us were being turned away, they'd obviously taken there chances on there being free tables.

Dinner was so nice, there was loads of choice and we were both too full to contemplate dessert.

We'd planned to have a cocktail in the bar at the Newport Bay but on entering we could see straight away how busy it was so decided to head back to the Golden Forest Lounge for a cocktail instead. On walking back into Sequoia Lodge we were staggered to see a huge queue full of families and young children outside the Hunters Grill restaurant, at gone 10pm!

We made it to the Golden Forest Lounge at about 10.15pm and placed an order for a Pina Colada each... yum!

Our view while we sipped our cocktails...

Knowing that one cocktail wouldn't be enough, and conscious of the time (they close at 10.30pm) we ordered a 'Woodcutter for Two' before we'd even finished our Pina Colada's. This arrived around 10.30pm and although we offered to vacate the lounge the Cast Members were adamant that we stayed

This is the Woodcutter for Two...

...and just to put its size into context...

Cocktails finished we paid up, leaving them another tip for being so kind as to let us stay beyond closing time.

Next on the to-do list was bed, another fantastic day!

Next: Don't make me leave!

Twitter - @rpaisley79 / Instagram - rachelpaisley79

Upcoming Hols *July '19 Sequoia Lodge Golden Forest*August 2020 WDW Coronado Springs*

Previous Hols *Jan '19 Sequoia Lodge Golden Forest*Jan '18 Sequoia Lodge Golden Forest*Oct '17 Cheyenne*Jan '17 Sequoia Lodge Golden Forest*Jan '16 Sequoia Lodge Golden Forest*March '15 - Cheyenne*Nov '13 - Cheyenne*Feb '12 - Newport Bay*April '08 - Santa Fe*March '05 - Santa Fe*

Click here for my Disneyland Paris Trip Reports

Edited at 01:31 PM.
Beaker7929 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Feb 17, 01:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Melanie R
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
I can't believe you're up to day 3 already - I haven't even finished unpacking properly!
Glad to see Anna did the Teacups

Duchess Adventures! - Trip report index
Melanie R is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Feb 17, 01:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Beaker7929
Imagineer

Beaker7929's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Melanie R View Post
I can't believe you're up to day 3 already - I haven't even finished unpacking properly!
Glad to see Anna did the Teacups
Ha! Once I'm on a trip report writing mission there's no stopping me

Upcoming Hols *July '19 Sequoia Lodge Golden Forest*August 2020 WDW Coronado Springs*

Previous Hols *Jan '19 Sequoia Lodge Golden Forest*Jan '18 Sequoia Lodge Golden Forest*Oct '17 Cheyenne*Jan '17 Sequoia Lodge Golden Forest*Jan '16 Sequoia Lodge Golden Forest*March '15 - Cheyenne*Nov '13 - Cheyenne*Feb '12 - Newport Bay*April '08 - Santa Fe*March '05 - Santa Fe*

Beaker7929 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Feb 17, 07:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Milpston
Imagineer

Really enjoying your trip report.

Would you recommend Cape Cod and did you take any food pics or inside the restaurant? I only ask as I have reservation there on our trip in less than 2 weeks.

Looking forward to the rest
August 2021 - Anthem of the seas UK mini cruise Trip report *completed*
Vegas/LA Aug 22 - Trip Report In Progress

Edited at 07:05 PM.
Milpston is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Feb 17, 07:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Beaker7929
Imagineer

Beaker7929's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Milpston View Post
Really enjoying your trip report.

Would you recommend Cape Cod and did you take any food pics or inside the restaurant? I only ask as I have reservation there on our trip in less than 2 weeks.

Looking forward to the rest
Thank you!

Yes I would highly recommend Cape Cod, we didn't take any food photo's but it was your usual buffet fayre split into starters, mains and desserts. From memory there was lots of salady bits, plus rice, pasta, chicken, soup, bread (amazing garlic bread!), potato's...basically everything you could want

Old 5 Feb 17, 01:06 AM  
Link to this Post
kadypants
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

I totally get the tea cups thing... Bleurgh! DS makes me go on them everywhere we go, but I just hate them! Saying that I won't do ToT either! Haha! But the Rock n Rollercoaster is my favourite ride ever! Go figure!

Sounds like another fantastic day! I'm really loving all these cocktails. I'm hoping I get the chance to try some while we're there!
kadypants is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Feb 17, 08:30 AM  
Link to this Post
pennycrayon
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 15
Oooh great trip report! Which buffet did you prefer? Were staying at the New York so was planning the one there?
Old 5 Feb 17, 10:33 AM  
Link to this Post
Beaker7929
Imagineer

Beaker7929's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by pennycrayon View Post
Oooh great trip report! Which buffet did you prefer? Were staying at the New York so was planning the one there?
Oh wow, that's a hard choice! Ok, based on the fact that they had crumbled Oreo's I'd say the Parkside Diner in Hotel New York wins but only just, they are both really nice buffets

Old 5 Feb 17, 10:52 PM  
Link to this Post

I'd rather stick pins in my eyes than go on the Tea Cups. It would be pebble dashed instantly if you take my meaning so well done Anna.
You two certainly know how to work the parks and it sounds that you have great fun doing it.
Fancy you remembering the beavers' dam:

Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Feb 17, 01:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Beaker7929
Imagineer

Beaker7929's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by geoffa View Post
I'd rather stick pins in my eyes than go on the Tea Cups. It would be pebble dashed instantly if you take my meaning so well done Anna.
You two certainly know how to work the parks and it sounds that you have great fun doing it.
Fancy you remembering the beavers' dam:

That's it! It didn't look quite so impressive in the dark though