Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 12 Feb 17, 03:44 PM  
Link to this Post
johnb
Imagineer

Rules of the road

On our next trip we will also be taking a road trip through states other than Florida. Is there anywhere I can find out about differences between the states (eg. turning right on red), or is it just a case of looking for the rules in each individual state?
johnb is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Feb 17, 11:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Forkbeard
Imagineer

You're right to ask, there are some weird laws in some states. For example in some states you can text and drive Arizona is one of them I believe.

In some states you can treat a stop sign when turning right like a yield. Which is pretty cool.

Lots of differing rules about when and how they can nick you for speeding.

Haven't looked at it but this site might be useful: traffic.findlaw/traffic-t...ffic-laws.html

My personal favourite are states that don't have motorcycle helmet laws. Absolute heaven when I hire a motorbike. Florida is one of them. At least I hope it still is, it's been a while

EDIT: Forgot to add, that I think in Indiana, you are done for statutory rape if you have a girl in the passenger seat who is under 17 and isn't wearing any shoes and socks. It came up in some triv game we were playing the US a few years back. Crazy stuff if true.

Edited at 12:03 AM.
Forkbeard is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Feb 17, 12:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

Florida still has the option not to wear a helmet
Gryff is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Feb 17, 12:25 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Forkbeard View Post
In some states you can treat a stop sign when turning right like a yield. Which is pretty cool.
There are no states where you can treat a stop sign like a yield. You can turn on red but you must come to a complete stop, not a rolling yield.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Feb 17, 12:54 AM  
Link to this Post
Forkbeard
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Ilivehereorland View Post
There are no states where you can treat a stop sign like a yield. You can turn on red but you must come to a complete stop, not a rolling yield.
Oregon I believe. If you can't find it let me know.

The signs usually have text underneath to confirm the non-stop permitted.

Originally Posted by Gryff View Post
Thanks. I miss the old Harley road trips
Forkbeard is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Feb 17, 12:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Forkbeard
Imagineer

There you go, picture of an Oregon sign for you
quora/How-different-...ate-of-the-U-S
Old 14 Feb 17, 12:58 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Forkbeard View Post
There you go, picture of an Oregon sign for you
quora/How-different-...ate-of-the-U-S
That's a new one.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Feb 17, 01:03 AM  
Link to this Post
Forkbeard
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Ilivehereorland View Post
That's a new one.
I used to live in Washington state. A few Oregon road trips for white water rafting
Old 14 Feb 17, 10:00 AM  
Link to this Post
redAnt
Helping Mickey

Originally Posted by Gryff View Post
I remember seeing one chap with the helmet strapped to the seat rather than his head. Absolute insanity but then I used to wear full leathers in the middle of summer ... though I am still alive so there's that.
Old 14 Feb 17, 10:12 AM  
Link to this Post
Forkbeard
Imagineer

Originally Posted by redAnt View Post
I remember seeing one chap with the helmet strapped to the seat rather than his head. Absolute insanity but then I used to wear full leathers in the middle of summer ... though I am still alive so there's that.
Not sure it is insanity. It's true a helmet can save your skull, but it's also true that helmets break your neck. Some years back the head of the British racing medical team, a well respected chap with a wealth of experience claimed that road accident data proved that helmets caused more deaths and injuries.

It's likely to be true that wearing a helmet in a car also saves lives, should we make helmets in cars compulsory?

Some states require a minimum age and some are now considering a buy-in option if you want to ride without a lid. I think compulsory organ donation could be an option too.

Now it is impossible to argue that leathers are a bad thing, but I still wouldn't force people to wear them same as I wouldn't force people not to smoke or drink. More people killed by smoking and drinking than not wearing a helmet.