Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 14 Feb 17, 08:29 PM  
Link to this Post

Alamo car hire - credit card?

I want to book directly through Alamo as I can get quidco cashback of 11%. The booking will be in my partners name as he will be driving but we only have a credit card in my name, will this cause any problems? I believe we will need to pay by credit card so if I successfully book/pay with my credit card on the website will there be a problem with the car pick up or will they accept that the credit card is in my name and not the drivers or even a debit card?

Even better can anyone recommend any other car hire firms that will allow us to book/pay using a debit card? I seem to be getting different information on this whole debit/credit card thing everywhere I look!

Thanks in advance
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Feb 17, 10:26 PM  
Link to this Post
tinkerella123
Imagineer

As long as your debit card shows the visa sign then you are goood to go. The card does have to be in the name of the driver. Doesn't have to be the same card but does have to be in the name of the lead driver.
tinkerella123 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Feb 17, 01:27 PM  
Link to this Post
lukebrynycz
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by tinkerella123 View Post
As long as your debit card shows the visa sign then you are goood to go. The card does have to be in the name of the driver. Doesn't have to be the same card but does have to be in the name of the lead driver.
When did this change then? I remember having to get a credit card each time I went to Florida, then cutting it up when I got home.

lukebrynycz is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Feb 17, 01:31 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by lukebrynycz View Post
When did this change then? I remember having to get a credit card each time I went to Florida, then cutting it up when I got home.
No change I have only ever used a Debit Card in over 50 rentals.
Where the confusion comes from is a US Debit card is not like ours it's more like a store card.
Old 15 Feb 17, 01:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
As above. However way back in the 70's I had to get an Amex card as they were the only ones out back then. Oh and Diners Club.
However Debit is fine and loads use them
They are very wary of those pre loaded cards though as you could strip all the funds out and render it useless to invoice.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 17, 11:52 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Thanks for the replies
Old 20 Feb 17, 03:27 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by gilmoregirl1 View Post
I want to book directly through Alamo as I can get quidco cashback of 11%. The booking will be in my partners name as he will be driving but we only have a credit card in my name, will this cause any problems? I believe we will need to pay by credit card so if I successfully book/pay with my credit card on the website will there be a problem with the car pick up or will they accept that the credit card is in my name and not the drivers or even a debit card?

Even better can anyone recommend any other car hire firms that will allow us to book/pay using a debit card? I seem to be getting different information on this whole debit/credit card thing everywhere I look!

Thanks in advance
Can you drive? If you have a DL then you can be the lead driver and your partner the additional one. It doesn't matter if he does all the driving, but your CC or DC can be used.
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List