Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 23 Feb 17, 11:01 PM  
Link to this Post
birdiesX4
Imagineer

Originally Posted by duncanb View Post
Winter's biggest storm,Arguable one of Europe's biggest hub airports.
Old enough to travel old enough to sort out issue's.
If not shouldn't be left alone.
Sorry if reality hurts.
Not airlines fault so unrealistic to blame them.
I'm not sure that's necessary. They are just inexperienced and need calming and some help and guidance.
birdiesX4 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 17, 11:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Gev
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by duncanb View Post
Winter's biggest storm,Arguable one of Europe's biggest hub airports.
Old enough to travel old enough to sort out issue's.
If not shouldn't be left alone.
Sorry if reality hurts.
Not airlines fault so unrealistic to blame them.
That's a bit harsh, really. At 19 they're just kids and have no experience of dealing with officialdom. I know I would have panicked at 19 even if you wouldn't.
Old 23 Feb 17, 11:24 PM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Gev View Post
That's a bit harsh, really. At 19 they're just kids and have no experience of dealing with officialdom. I know I would have panicked at 19 even if you wouldn't.
I might of panicked a bit but I wouldn't have gone anywhere without an emergency credit card or at least a debit card with access to significant funds.
Old 23 Feb 17, 11:27 PM  
Link to this Post
duncanb
Imagineer

To all,
Travel basic 101 contingency for emergency,is a predicted storm with advice for major disruption so should be forewarned.
At what age do you expect someone to cut umbilical cord,19 is an adult and doesn't need parental control.
I stand by my post old enough to travel old enough to sort out.
At 19 I enjoyed a South Atlantic island and even if the Tec allowed won't have phoned my parents for help.
As previously sorry if post is not to liking but it's a reply on a public forum,where questions are posted and replies given to the forum rules whether liked or not.
Old 23 Feb 17, 11:38 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

I'm with you Duncan.

I think though if not for Facebook or whatever means they had of contacting OP they probably would have just taken a deep breath and got on with it, maybe.

I wouldn't have dreamt of contacting my parents - and certainly not a friend's parent (! ) in that scenario. It may have just been a Facebook rant / vent.
Old 24 Feb 17, 12:00 AM  
Link to this Post
walt4it
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 8
I'm probably too late to this - I would not take the hotel room an hour away and would stay in the airport and be as big a PITA to EasyJet so they know you want to get home. It takes time , patience and a little bit of being nice to people at the desk, but eventually you will get there, no matter what airline it is.
If you are off site you are out of sight out of mind.

Uncomfortable nights sleep but if there is space on any upcoming flights you will be there!

May not have a bed but an airport has a lot more available than a distant hotel room.

Only know from experience and not at the age of 19 but with a 3 year old in tow and snowed out of Washington

Going out in a Blaze of Glory- Our Summer of Sorcery 2019 - COMPLETE! 4 Weeks, from The Yacht Club for 10 nights onto much more Florida fun too

All of our previous Trip reports and escapades can be read here.
walt4it is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 17, 01:24 AM  
Link to this Post
birdiesX4
Imagineer

Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
I'm with you Duncan.

I think though if not for Facebook or whatever means they had of contacting OP they probably would have just taken a deep breath and got on with it, maybe.

I wouldn't have dreamt of contacting my parents - and certainly not a friend's parent (! ) in that scenario. It may have just been a Facebook rant / vent.
Did they not phone the OPs daughter who was a friend who then told her own mum?

Originally Posted by walt4it View Post
I'm probably too late to this - I would not take the hotel room an hour away and would stay in the airport and be as big a PITA to EasyJet so they know you want to get home. It takes time , patience and a little bit of being nice to people at the desk, but eventually you will get there, no matter what airline it is.
If you are off site you are out of sight out of mind.

Uncomfortable nights sleep but if there is space on any upcoming flights you will be there!
May not have a bed but an airport has a lot more available than a distant hotel room.

Only know from experience and not at the age of 19 but with a 3 year old in tow and snowed out of Washington
They were lacking confidence and experience and you can only gain this from time and certainly not a credit card. At least next time something happens they will be a bit more prepared.
birdiesX4 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 17, 01:45 AM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Gev View Post
At 19 they are adults. If they are still depending on parents input, then the parents should have ensured that they are set up correctly to travel abroad. This includes travel insurance, EU medical card ( possibly soon to be useless! ) and most importantly, immediate access to emergency funds( a CC or similar).

Both our sons went off on foreign holidays from around 18 . We set them up first trip and helped them get a CC for emergency use. After that they were on there own...cut loose...I can't imagine them ever stranded with no financial means of getting home. They are now 23 and 29 and still have renewed CCs from the original setup...neither have used them ...yet.
PPM is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 17, 08:56 AM  
Link to this Post
mandevillepete
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Whatever your views on what is right or wrong and how independent teens should be I do not understand the aggressive and self righteous nature of some of the posts. Certainly everyone entitled to express their views on a public forum but why the need to be so aggressive with that view
Old 24 Feb 17, 09:03 AM  
Link to this Post
DavieBhoy
VIP Dibber

DavieBhoy's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
Originally Posted by mandevillepete View Post
Whatever your views on what is right or wrong and how independent teens should be I do not understand the aggressive and self righteous nature of some of the posts. Certainly everyone entitled to express their views on a public forum but why the need to be so aggressive with that view
I totally agree with you - some people should just refrain from posting at all if they have nothing helpful to say.

Tracy

DavieBhoy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List