Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 19 Oct 20, 03:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Myakka17
VIP Dibber

It depends what the FCO advice is when you take the cover out. If they state you can travel then you are perfectly within your right to obtain insurance. If iot changes after that you are covered.
I've booked with Staysure and travelling with BA 2nd Jan but BA are honouring payouts if UAE are still insisting on testing 72 hours before departure back to the UK.
Old 28 Oct 20, 11:19 AM  
Link to this Post
jocesk
slightly serious Dibber

Im an expat living in the gulf and travel from and too uk frequently. Last time I flew was 3 weeks ago and before that I think around 9 weeks ago. To be perfectly honest not many of us expats have travel insurance so its not something that effects my decision to travel. The PCR test is a big pain though and very costly. When it first started up the NHS was happy to do them but now (and rightly so) you have to go private for travel.
jocesk is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Oct 20, 11:36 AM  
Link to this Post
act1980
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by jocesk View Post
Im an expat living in the gulf and travel from and too uk frequently. Last time I flew was 3 weeks ago and before that I think around 9 weeks ago. To be perfectly honest not many of us expats have travel insurance so its not something that effects my decision to travel. The PCR test is a big pain though and very costly. When it first started up the NHS was happy to do them but now (and rightly so) you have to go private for travel.
Can I ask how busy the flights are please?
Old 28 Oct 20, 11:44 AM  
Link to this Post
jocesk
slightly serious Dibber

they are 'full' but the chair next to you must be empty unless it is family. they also provide a plastic visor to wear all the whole you on the flight
jocesk is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Oct 20, 11:53 AM  
Link to this Post
act1980
VIP Dibber

they are 'full' but the chair next to you must be empty unless it is family. they also provide a plastic visor to wear all the whole you on the flight
Thanks! Do you wear that in addition to your face mask?
Old 28 Oct 20, 05:15 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

It’s the travel insurance part I am wary about and invalidation it a) if there is an argument about Ovid or b) travelling against FCO advice (I guess neither of these effects you like my friends living in Dubai)

A few years ago I had an asthma attack and had medical care - it cost over £3k (insurance paid out) plus hotel and flights had to be - rearranged and the total bill was eye watering in the tens of thousands however I have to say I had exemplary care and had no complaints and my travel insurance, taken out with the airline I flew with (I always do this for UAE following advice on other UAE related forums) Sorted it all out direct for me. I would hate to have similar be any issues with diagnosis ie covid/asthma/fever etc and then who would cover or not ... And then maybe paying it all myself. It’s the stress of that which is, currently, preventing me from travelling to UAE for a vacation
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 20, 09:59 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Originally Posted by megaflyer View Post
It’s the travel insurance part I am wary about and invalidation it a) if there is an argument about Ovid or b) travelling against FCO advice (I guess neither of these effects you like my friends living in Dubai)

A few years ago I had an asthma attack and had medical care - it cost over £3k (insurance paid out) plus hotel and flights had to be - rearranged and the total bill was eye watering in the tens of thousands however I have to say I had exemplary care and had no complaints and my travel insurance, taken out with the airline I flew with (I always do this for UAE following advice on other UAE related forums) Sorted it all out direct for me. I would hate to have similar be any issues with diagnosis ie covid/asthma/fever etc and then who would cover or not ... And then maybe paying it all myself. It’s the stress of that which is, currently, preventing me from travelling to UAE for a vacation

I see the FCO has said you can now travel to Dubai (not Abu Dhabi to) and no quarantine on return - tempered to go but I would book and travel same week as dont trust the advice to change without notice but it is certainly tempting, now, for Christmas /NYE
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 20, 10:12 PM  
Link to this Post
act1980
VIP Dibber

I see the FCO has said you can now travel to Dubai (not Abu Dhabi to) and no quarantine on return - tempered to go but I would book and travel same week as dont trust the advice to change without notice but it is certainly tempting, now, for Christmas /NYE
I’m meant to be going next month. I saw that the quarantine had been lifted but last time I checked the FCO still advised against travel. I’m going to look again now!

Yet to book flights but hotel is fully refundable!

Edited to add: Just checked and it’s now updated since I checked earlier 👍🏼

Edited at 10:16 PM.
act1980 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 20, 10:41 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Originally Posted by act1980 View Post
I’m meant to be going next month. I saw that the quarantine had been lifted but last time I checked the FCO still advised against travel. I’m going to look again now!

Yet to book flights but hotel is fully refundable!

Edited to add: Just checked and it’s now updated since I checked earlier 👍🏼
Yes I got an email form FCO to give the green light so go for it - you will have a great time

The FCDO no longer advises against travel to the UAE. The UAE is now on the list of countries and territories where self-isolation is not required on return to the UK. (‘Summary’ page)

Time updated
8:52pm, 12 November 2020
Old 12 Nov 20, 10:53 PM  
Link to this Post
act1980
VIP Dibber

Yes I got an email form FCO to give the green light so go for it - you will have a great time

The FCDO no longer advises against travel to the UAE. The UAE is now on the list of countries and territories where self-isolation is not required on return to the UK. (‘Summary’ page)

Time updated
8:52pm, 12 November 2020
Ah ok!

Thank you, we really want to go and are feeling much more positive about it now. Hotel were really good, only required a 1 AED deposit and no payment until we check in! Just got to hope that we'll be out of lockdown on the 2nd otherwise we won't be going anywhere

Edited at 10:56 PM.
act1980 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List