Notices

Old 9 Jan 19, 03:20 PM  
Link to this Post
neilhd
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Melbatb View Post
Sounds fabulous! What’s the weather looking like?

And here’s hoping the $ - £ works to your advantage!
No change of the dollar rate working my advantage!

Weather is looking chilly. It's actually in that range of "Do I take the really thick coat or not?"

Seems to be down to -5 at night, but +3 or +5 during the day.

I took the really thick coat last time and didn't need it all the time, but really liked having it at some points. The thing is - it weighs an absolute ton so leaving it behind does have advantages!
Old 9 Jan 19, 03:53 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Ah only just seen this.
Have a fab time and look forward to the trippy.
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jan 19, 10:17 AM  
Link to this Post
neilhd
Imagineer

Originally Posted by WileyCoyote View Post
Ah only just seen this.
Have a fab time and look forward to the trippy.
Thanks Amanda.

Hope you are doing well!
Old 10 Jan 19, 10:40 AM  
Link to this Post
MrsBigdog
Serious Dibber

Sounds like a good trip so far. We did the Intrepid last time we went to NY. Hubby loved it, me, it was a bit meh, but then I'm not into space travel or boats or planes(unless they are taking me on holiday). I'm in a quandary about the coat situation too. As you can see we go to NY next month and when I last went in February they had about 3ft of snow the day before we arrived. I'm thinking big coat so far, then I can always buy a new thinner one when we go to Jersey Garden Malls!
You've inspired me to start planning, as so far all I do is look at Instagram pictures of nice food to eat in NY. I've got hundreds of restaurants and bars I want to try and nothing else planned lol. Although I did watch a couple of YouTube vids yesterday which were walking through Manhattan and around the area we are staying(Hell's Kitchen - not far from the Intrepid). Have a fantastic time, looking forward to reading the trippy
MrsBigdog is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 19, 12:09 PM  
Link to this Post
neilhd
Imagineer

Originally Posted by MrsBigdog View Post
Sounds like a good trip so far. We did the Intrepid last time we went to NY. Hubby loved it, me, it was a bit meh, but then I'm not into space travel or boats or planes(unless they are taking me on holiday). I'm in a quandary about the coat situation too. As you can see we go to NY next month and when I last went in February they had about 3ft of snow the day before we arrived. I'm thinking big coat so far, then I can always buy a new thinner one when we go to Jersey Garden Malls!
You've inspired me to start planning, as so far all I do is look at Instagram pictures of nice food to eat in NY. I've got hundreds of restaurants and bars I want to try and nothing else planned lol. Although I did watch a couple of YouTube vids yesterday which were walking through Manhattan and around the area we are staying(Hell's Kitchen - not far from the Intrepid). Have a fantastic time, looking forward to reading the trippy
Coats are struggle. DW is wanting to take 3...

If it comes to it we can take a 3rd case just for coats and shoes, as we are going Club World. The issue with that is the transfer says 2 cases only. It could probably fit between us on the back seat, but I worry about these sorts of things

Looking at it now it seems that some days will have definitely no need for it, but the later days in our trip might see it peak at a max of -4 ... It also doesn't help that different websites give vastly different forecasts!

We had snow the day before we went last time too - it was lovely walking (slithering!) around Central Park all covered in it.

I also go on holiday for food reasons! I've been craving some proper American pancakes for ages, so that will be breakfast day 1!
Old 11 Jan 19, 09:56 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

I'm not sure how I missed this! Sounds like you will both have a fabulous time and how amazing to fly Business, I'm not jealous at all . You must go to Tick Tock Diner if you haven't been before, they do the BEST French toast!
Look forward to reading all about it on your return. Oh and I say take the third case, I'm a 'what if' kinda gal!

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 19, 11:58 AM  
Link to this Post
MrsBigdog
Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by neilhd View Post
Coats are struggle. DW is wanting to take 3...

If it comes to it we can take a 3rd case just for coats and shoes, as we are going Club World. The issue with that is the transfer says 2 cases only. It could probably fit between us on the back seat, but I worry about these sorts of things

Looking at it now it seems that some days will have definitely no need for it, but the later days in our trip might see it peak at a max of -4 ... It also doesn't help that different websites give vastly different forecasts!

We had snow the day before we went last time too - it was lovely walking (slithering!) around Central Park all covered in it.

I also go on holiday for food reasons! I've been craving some proper American pancakes for ages, so that will be breakfast day 1!
It's good you have the option of taking a 3rd case, at least you can pack for any eventuality. The coat situation is so hard, as it's freezing outside but every hotel/restaurant/shop etc has heating blasting out at 30c. I found it easier to wear a big coat and a jumper with t shirt or vest underneath rather than layers. Just whip the coat off as so as you go inside and saves having to peel off layers.

I still haven't made any concrete plans for our trip. Although we are considering going to the IHOP at Jersey Garden Malls as we didn't visit it last time and the only other one is between 14th/15th St.

Let me know if you find any good places to eat
MrsBigdog is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 19, 11:57 AM  
Link to this Post
neilhd
Imagineer

Originally Posted by smithlane View Post
I'm not sure how I missed this! Sounds like you will both have a fabulous time and how amazing to fly Business, I'm not jealous at all . You must go to Tick Tock Diner if you haven't been before, they do the BEST French toast!
Look forward to reading all about it on your return. Oh and I say take the third case, I'm a 'what if' kinda gal!
Going Business is lovely. In July we did Business out and First back from Vegas so that was really special (Avios again). 6 weeks later we did Orlando in economy which was something of a culture shock!

We have done Tick Tock Diner before. I wasn't blown away by it to be honest. The food was good enough, perhaps just a bit pricey. Then again, it's not a million miles from our hotel so who knows!

Originally Posted by MrsBigdog View Post
It's good you have the option of taking a 3rd case, at least you can pack for any eventuality. The coat situation is so hard, as it's freezing outside but every hotel/restaurant/shop etc has heating blasting out at 30c. I found it easier to wear a big coat and a jumper with t shirt or vest underneath rather than layers. Just whip the coat off as so as you go inside and saves having to peel off layers.

I still haven't made any concrete plans for our trip. Although we are considering going to the IHOP at Jersey Garden Malls as we didn't visit it last time and the only other one is between 14th/15th St.

Let me know if you find any good places to eat
Yes it's always enter shop, grab a basket or shopping bag and put the coat in it!

I've never one the malls or outlets outside of NYC. Probably should try it out one day! Actually, in all our many trips to the States (which is about 12 now) we've never been to an IHOP either! Went into one once in Orlando but it was full so we left.
Old 15 Jan 19, 12:31 PM  
Link to this Post
neilhd
Imagineer

Well, we are now checked in! Our friends arrived safely in Vegas last night and we'll meet them in NYC on Thursday.

I'm about 95% sure my work still haven't realised I'm not going to be here for a week. And I am still not going to mention it... I do have a meeting later and it's possible that somebody will ask me to do something over the next couple of days in which case it'll come out, but if not then I think it's pretty funny!

Been keeping an eye on the forecast and actually it looks quite chilly. Last time in Jan it was freezing cold at first, then really warm. This time it looks to be not quite as cold, but still very very cold, and a bit more consistently so. So the big coat is packed. I know you were all dying to find out if I was taking it or not.

Packing is mostly done, just a few more bits to quickly chuck in the case after work, then we leave at 7pm for the Sofitel at Terminal 5!
Old 16 Jan 19, 01:17 PM  
Link to this Post
jocat
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 67
I think it’s funny that your work don’t realise you’re off too!

Have a fab time Neil. I’m sure you’ll be glad you’ve packed your big coat.
jocat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List