Notices
UK Holiday Planning & Days Out For UK Holiday planning and experiences

Old 16 Sep 20, 04:51 PM  
Link to this Post
LadyAurora
Excited about Disney

Madeira, have you been?

Hey all, so we are supposed to be off to Portugal in 4 weeks, but are not going to be able to quarantine, dh doesn't get paid and I'm a hospital worker so doesn't seem right to take the time off. We can change for free to go to Madeira but we know nothing about it, and don't know anyone who's been.

Can anyone tell me if its worth trying, or recommend an area?

Thanks x
LadyAurora is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Sep 20, 05:29 PM  
Link to this Post
tracy99
Imagineer

There’s a recent thread in the general trip planning forum,with some information in it.
We were supposed to fly on the 4th sept but I changed it,due to the uncertainty of countries quarantine restrictions,I couldn’t afford to take the chance,so unfortunately I can’t answer your question,but hope to go next year.
Tracy x
Old 16 Sep 20, 06:01 PM  
Link to this Post
silverfox46
Imagineer

I wrote on the previous post above Madeira, we love it. Loads of positives but depends where you plan to go.
Funchal has lovely street restaurants and cafes, all reasonably priced. A lovely flower lined pedestrian promenade to walk along, however it also is very hilly, so I feel you need to be reasonably fit. Weather when we have been in July is hot but can still have a nice breeze.
Our visit last December still had temperatures in mid 20’s and very little rain , but still breezy. We tried Canico de Baxio , about a 15 min ride from airport. The Rui hotel we chose was fantastic ,so much so we rebooked straightaway to go back July just gone, but Covid put an end to that. It’s quite rural there, very little around but still a good uphill walk.

You now on entry need to take a Covid test , isolating at hotel for results which I believe is a day or two.

A beautiful place and one we will always return to when this virus in under control. Personally I felt more mature visitors visit. Read the other post, more tips may be on there now
silverfox46 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Sep 20, 07:01 PM  
Link to this Post
LadyAurora
Excited about Disney

Thankyou, I'll head over for a look,
LadyAurora is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Sep 20, 08:11 PM  
Link to this Post
whlparkstone
Imagineer

Mobile

I have never been, however I do know that my mum went about 4 years ago and absolutely loved it. She is keen to return. She said the locals were so warm and friendly
Old 16 Sep 20, 08:55 PM  
Link to this Post
bonnies mum
Imagineer

Been several times - managed a week there in February this year. Really love it. It’s not exactly a beach type place, though there are some beaches. There are some lovely places to visit and loads of cafes and restaurants.
Locals are very friendly.
bonnies mum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Sep 20, 09:09 PM  
Link to this Post
llamala
Imagineer

We have been a few times, we have stayed at the Four views Monumental and also Enotel which was AI both lovely. Both walkable to Funchal. it is hilly but find that being on Monumental its all faily flat to most places. Day trips are great to see the island which is stunning.
Eating out is good, not cheap but not dear. Try Scabbard fish its lovely.
Its our go to place otherthan Orlando.
llamala is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 20, 08:08 AM  
Link to this Post
gtown
Proud to wear my Ears

Just got back this Monday. It really is a lovely place. Have a look at the Castenheiro Boutique Hotel, right in the centre of Funchal with a roof top pool.
gtown is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 20, 08:08 AM  
Link to this Post
disney owl
Imagineer

disney owl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
We've been several times for the day as it is a popular cruise port. Lovely island with nice weather. As another poster said most visitors are mature. Would def look at it for an holiday if needed
June 2001, August 2003,2007 &Sept 2010 - WDW Offsite
June 2005 - DLP Davy Crockett Ranch
disney owl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 20, 08:11 AM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

A friend at work goes every year, same two weeks, same hotel/room, she loves it, says its for the ‘newly wed and nearly dead!’ She says its so relaxing though!