Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 5 Oct 20, 01:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Aimee_K
Getting Excited

Sanford Airport With No Car... Advice Please

Thinking of flying into Sanford, just an idea at the moment but the idea of a quieter immigration hall is very appealing if flights and prices work out. Bristol is my closest airport but if we don't travel next year we may miss out going from there to Sanford and have to go from London which may change things anyway.

My question, has anyone flown into Sanford and not hired a car, if so what did you do? Uber? Etc. to your destination.

Has anyone hired a car just to get to their hotel/villa destination or is this just a waste of money? Or maybe kept the car for a few days?

We're thinking of a split stay, if we did Disney on property straight off then it might be a waste having the car due to the charges. If we did Universal first would this be the same.

Just looking for ideas/scenarios of other people who have maybe done this
Aimee_K is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Oct 20, 02:54 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Hi not sure what you would do but it’s 45 mins drive if 14 is not busy. Have you considered flying to Dublin then arrive as domestic passengers.
jdouds is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Oct 20, 05:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Megamicrofish
Getting Excited

Can you not get a private transfer?
Rosen Inn International Drive May 2022
Rosen Inn Closest to Universal Sep 2022
Megamicrofish is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Oct 20, 06:13 PM  
Link to this Post
grommitt
Excited about Disney

I have used Uber from Sanford to 1 drive cost me about $45.00 but the last couple of visits i have hired a car for a couple of days at both the beginning and end of the holidays. Costs a little bit more but takes away any uncertainties for getting back to the airport.
grommitt is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Oct 20, 06:27 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

I’d hire a car for a day and also go to the supermarket and stock up with snacks for the room.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 20, 10:37 AM  
Link to this Post
Kcstyle
slightly serious Dibber

I would hire a car for the day and return to the swan and dolphin the next day and tie it into going to epcot or hollywood studios (or keep it two days)

very handy for a supermarket shop or a meal on the way to a villa.

Think we were £45 for a days hire of a SUV which fitted the cases with ease and the shopping!
Kcstyle is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 20, 12:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Aimee_K
Getting Excited

Originally Posted by jdouds View Post
Hi not sure what you would do but it’s 45 mins drive if 14 is not busy. Have you considered flying to Dublin then arrive as domestic passengers.
Yes I have considered this, especially for the ease of arriving as a domestic passenger. I just wasn't sure what Aer Lingus were like to fly with? We would want to go out PE if possible.

The return journey however we would like to return to Bristol or London because it would be easier getting back to Cardiff as the flight times from Dublin to Cardiff aren't great.
Aimee_K is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 20, 12:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Aimee_K
Getting Excited

Thank you all for the input.
Hiring a car for a few days and doing a shop etc seems like a really good idea.
Old 9 Oct 20, 12:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Aimee_K
Getting Excited

Originally Posted by Kcstyle View Post
I would hire a car for the day and return to the swan and dolphin the next day and tie it into going to epcot or hollywood studios (or keep it two days)

very handy for a supermarket shop or a meal on the way to a villa.

Think we were £45 for a days hire of a SUV which fitted the cases with ease and the shopping!
Can you return cars to the Swan and Dolphin from any provider or only certain ones?
Old 9 Oct 20, 12:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Kcstyle
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Aimee_K View Post
Can you return cars to the Swan and Dolphin from any provider or only certain ones?
I think its just alamo/national but alamo brits is really good. normally the cheapest and you get a 2nd driver free and it covers all your insurance.

The only real reason i see to use other firms is if you are collection points (like the airlines have)

Kris
Kcstyle is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List