Notices
Christmas Temporary forum for Christmas seasonal topics

Old 29 Oct 20, 10:45 AM  
Link to this Post
SussexFamily
Imagineer

This... and copious amounts of gin ...
SussexFamily is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Oct 20, 07:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Talland 2016
Imagineer

Usually myself and 2 brothers and families take it in turns to host, and Mum always comes for dinner as well. Last year I cooked for everyone.
We usually don’t have starters
Then main course is turkey crown, pigs in blankets, roast potatoes, Yorkshire Puddings roast parsnips , bread sauce cranberry sauce, Brussels and veg depending on what people decide what they would want
Desert Christmas pudding / Mince pies with brandy butter custard, cream or ice cream
For DS usually a chocolate or treacle sponge pudding as he doesn’t like dried fruit

This year really not sure what food I’ll be having
DD lives in Lancashire was made redundant from PGL and at present has got a zero hour contract in a restaurant and has already been asked ( and agreed) to work Christmas Day. It will also be the first year she has a proper kitchen so wants to cook.
My Mum is in a bubble with my middle brother so will go to them for Christmas dinner ( Covid permitting)
My youngest brother is in a bubble with his in-laws so will go there ( Covid permitting)
DS and his partner have moved into their first flat in August so they want to cook a Christmas dinner between them.
I work as a community respiratory nurse and usually we don’t work over weekends or BH,but we have since Covid.
I’ve volunteered to work Christmas Day 8.30-4.30 probably it will just be manning the duty phone, or booked call’s for people needing support from recent hospital admissions, but it may also involve visits
At the moment I’m not sure if DS & partner would want to pop over in the evening again depending on what Covid restrictions are in place. We are in a Tier 2 area at the moment.

Looking for suggestions on what to eat on Christmas Day , probably in the evening as can’t guarantee any timings earlier
Talland 2016 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Nov 20, 06:37 AM  
Link to this Post
Lilminx
Excited about Disney

I absolutely love my slow cooker.

does anyone use it on Christmas day for anything?

2020 victim of Covid
Lilminx is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Nov 20, 09:56 AM  
Link to this Post
princess allie
VIP Dibber

We don’t have a starter.

Turkey and beef
Roast potatoes
Carrot and swede mash
Brussel sprouts
Red cabbage
Roast parsnips
Pigs in blankets
Yorkshire puddings
Homemade stuffing

Homemade Christmas pudding with clotted cream
Fresh fruit salad

Then we sit down in the lounge to eat after eight mints! Pigs aren’t we?

1998 Villa in Kissimmee 2009 Animal Kingdom Lodge 2011 Animal Kingdom Lodge 2014 Villa Lake Berkeley 2016 Villa Bass Lakes 2017 Villa on Solana and Vero Beach 2018 Villa on Highlands Reserve and St Pete Beach 2019 SLC, Cabana Bay, Highlands Reserve & Coronado Springs, 2020 Feb half term villa chilling. 2022 villa on Calabay Park and a trip Clearwater beach. 2023 Orlando and Clearwater
princess allie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Nov 20, 12:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinks2014
Imagineer

We don’t have starter .. If there are loads of us then I do
Breakfast ..
Croissants and our own Buck’s Fizz which lasts til lunchtime ..
Lunch
Turkey crown
Beef
gammon which is slow cooked and finished off in the oven coated with honey . This year I bought honey with rosemary from a farm in Kos ..
I do stuffing with sausage meat
and plain stuffing .
Pigs in blankets and pigs without.
Roast potatoes
Mash with butter and cream
homemade Cauliflower cheese
Sprouts
Carrots and peas
roast parsnips
Homemade yorkshires
Gravy.
Homemade trifle but I committed the sin of doing Prosecco jelly so will keep it simple .
Warm Chocolate fudge cake . Its in a ring with glitter on the top . 5 mins in the microwave always goes down well
Some caramel profiteroles
Plain cream or baileys cream
Champagne is the drink of choice for the meal
After eights and coffee ..

For tea do a simple buffet of cheese, biscuits a few warm nibbles and snacks .

This year it’s depends on how many will be here as there is 3 of us . My son is on his own so may be here but not sure of arrangements yet .
Usually have a houseful and we play games after lunch ..
Tinks2014 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Nov 20, 12:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinks2014
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Lilminx View Post

I use mine for gammon and cook it in cola , then finish it off in the oven with honey ..
Tinks2014 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Nov 20, 01:59 PM  
Link to this Post
snowbelle
Imagineer

Originally Posted by caj View Post
We are going to the beach (cant go normal, so let's go random) so will take rurkey and bacon paninis wrapped in tin foil to put on the bbq!

Home to slow cooker beef casserole and jacket spuds!

Proper dinner another day ... tbc
That sounds wonderful, and would love to do it if we weren’t two hours from the beach
But you have given me a great idea for another day
snowbelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Nov 20, 02:39 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by Lilminx View Post

Christmas eve I cook my gammon in it.
Usually in orange juice and honey .
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 20, 10:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Fluffypenguin
Imagineer

We used to have homemade tomato soup for starter, but then we realised it took the shine off the main so we stopped.

Main:
Roast beef (none of us are turkey fans)
Roast potatoes (homemade always)
Roast parsnips
Cauliflower
Broccoli
Carrot and swede mash
Stuffing
Homemade Yorkshire puddings
Pigs in blankets

And for dessert an apple pie with custard.

No sprouts, there’s only the three of us this year and none of us like them so no point.

Most of our Christmas dinner is going to be done the day before and reheated so that we can just relax on the day. Homemade Yorkshire’s will be pre done and reheated on the day. Only the potatoes, stuffing and pigs in blankets will be done on the day.
Fluffypenguin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 20, 11:56 AM  
Link to this Post
GrumpyDopey&Me
Imagineer

GrumpyDopey&Me's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
If I have my stomach surgery I will be on puree so turkey, mash, stuffing and gray, carrots and cauliflower all mushed together ohh I am drooling not. If I don't it will be normal turkey, mash, stuffing, honey roast parsnips, roast potato, roast yorkshire, carrots, cauliflower and gravy, don't do desserts
GrumpyDopey&Me is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List