Notices

Old 18 Oct 16, 03:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisa_Lollipop
Imagineer

DLP Jan 2017: The Birthday Trip! Pre-trippy *Updated 25th January*

Index can be found here

So in celebration of hitting double digits today I thought I would get cracking with my pre-trippy! This will be my first ever visit to DLP so what better way to document it than with a Dibb trip report (and fingers crossed some of you lovely folk will read along and get something from it too!)

The cast

I should probably begin by some quick introductions. Some of you may recognise our faces from my recent WDW trip report (for any of you who missed it and fancy a read, it can be found here) but just in case, this is us…

First up… Me! A 31 year-old Disney fanatic that in the last few years has become somewhat Orlando obsessed! If I am not planning a Disney holiday then I am most certainly dreaming about it! I am definitely the organiser, planner and obsessor of every trip… which I absolutely love!

Next up… my very dashing prince, Paul. He is the more laid-back of this duo, we make a good team in that regard! He is a huge football fan and spends much of his time outside of work on the pitch. He has to endure me constantly pestering about plans for our next Disney adventure, although I think he secretly loves them just as much as I do

Here a few snaps from our recent WDW holiday… if possible I loved it even more third time around!

How this trip came about

So after three amazing trips to Orlando in the three past years we returned back in May with a promise that it was time to have a break. Not a decision taken lightly, I would happily return every single year for the rest of my days… but with so much development going on we thought it might be wise to take a couple of years out allowing us to explore some new destinations and see some new sights.

After being back just over a month I started to get major Disney withdrawal symptoms though (you all know how awful these are!) and to try and distract myself from the heartache I started to look into the possibility of going to DLP for a Disney fix closer to home. On doing some research I found that the prices were surprisingly reasonable so I approached the subject with Paul… DLP wasn’t really on our radar given how much we love WDW but after suggesting a trip over my birthday weekend in January he seemed very up for it so before there was any time for minds to be changed I clicked on that book button!

The plan

As the title of this trippy clearly states, this is going to be a birthday trip! I turn 32 in January and my thinking was why not celebrate with some Disney magic! My actual birthday is Sunday 29th January so our trip will be taking place from Thursday 26th through to Monday 30th.

We are going to be staying at Newport Bay Club, we originally looked at Sequoia Lodge but after realising we could upgrade to a 4* hotel for just £20 extra per night it was a bit of a no-brainer! We looked briefly at Hotel New York but were quickly swayed by the newly renovated Newport Bay, plus the theming totally reminded me of the Beach Club at WDW so it was definitely a winner! We have booked 4 nights through Magic Breaks which includes park tickets and breakfast… well I hope it does anyway as since booking the free breakfast seems to have been taken away but as it is on our booking confirmation I am assuming they will still honour it (and I will be kicking up a bit of a stink if they don’t!). It looks gorgeous from all the photos and videos I have seen so super excited to stay there plus this will be our first ever on-site stay at Disney! (We stay off-site when in Orlando)

In regards to getting there we have opted to drive… we love a road trip so the thinking was that this would add to the adventure! (Just to clarify Paul will be doing all the driving, he is the king of navigating so best I leave that in his capable hands whilst I take up the role of chief sweet-passer!). I also like that it means I will have no restrictions when it comes to luggage like I would if we took the Eurostar or flew… in January I am going to need a whole load of warm clothes and they take up a lot of space in the suitcase! So no doubt our car is going to be packed to the brim (thank goodness for the Qashqai that we bought earlier this year, plenty of space for all my stuff!)

We have booked a Eurotunnel crossing at 8:20am on the Thursday and to avoid a mad rush that morning to get down to Folkstone we have booked a room at the local Premier Inn for the night before, it was hard to resist when we saw the bargain price of £39! So we will travel down after work on the Wednesday evening so we are ready to go bright and early Thursday morning (not before having a trusty all you can eat PI breakfast before we go on our merry way!)

With all of this booked there really is little left to do at this point… quite a change from the excessive planning I am used to doing in the lead-up to a WDW holiday! We haven’t at this point made any firm plans for our stay, we have a rough idea of where we would like to eat (Planet Hollywood and Rainforest Café are definitely on the list) but as we are unable to make any reservations until 2 months before we have some time to decide.

So this kind of gets you all up to date with where we are right now… I will have a few more updates over the coming months as more of the planning comes together… booking restaurants, shopping hauls (I am already picking things up ready for the trip!) and changing up euros (fingers crossed the rate improves a little ahead of January!)

In the meantime if any of you have any hints, tips or suggestions to make the most of our visit they would be much appreciated!

Update 1: Balance all paid!

Update 2: Ears at the ready!

Update 3: Food Glorious Food!

Update 4: Shopping haul

Update 5: One more sleep to go!

Edited at 06:18 PM.
Lisa_Lollipop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Oct 16, 03:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Redrach1903
Disney Dreaming :)

Redrach1903's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
Yay so happy to see this babe!

OK first off that resort looks EPIC! It so does look like the Beach Club!

I'm kinda jealous of the euro tunnel drive. It sounds kinda exciting! How long will your journey take in total?

This trip is going to come round so fast now!

xxx
Redrach1903 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Oct 16, 03:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisa_Lollipop
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Redrach1903 View Post
Yay so happy to see this babe!

OK first off that resort looks EPIC! It so does look like the Beach Club!

I'm kinda jealous of the euro tunnel drive. It sounds kinda exciting! How long will your journey take in total?

This trip is going to come round so fast now!

xxx
Ah thanks for the enthusiasm sweetheart, knew I could reply on you to follow along!

It looks gorgeous doesn't it? I'm so excited to finally stay in a Disney hotel... although this could set the bar for our next WDW trip!

It's going to take about an hour and a half to get to Folkstone from where we live and then just under 3 hours from Calais to DLP. So not too bad really... especially as we are breaking it up over two days. I'm really excited, love a road trip!

Can't believe it's double digits already... seems to have crept up out of no where!
Lisa_Lollipop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Oct 16, 03:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Redrach1903
Disney Dreaming :)

Redrach1903's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Lisa_Lollipop View Post
Ah thanks for the enthusiasm sweetheart, knew I could reply on you to follow along!

It looks gorgeous doesn't it? I'm so excited to finally stay in a Disney hotel... although this could set the bar for our next WDW trip!

It's going to take about an hour and a half to get to Folkstone from where we live and then just under 3 hours from Calais to DLP. So not too bad really... especially as we are breaking it up over two days. I'm really excited, love a road trip!

Can't believe it's double digits already... seems to have crept up out of no where!
Yip, you'll get the onsite bug!

Oh that's not long at all!

Looking forward to updates! xxx
Redrach1903 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Oct 16, 04:54 PM  
Link to this Post
vics18
Very Serious Dibber

How lovely! We went in Jan this year and although it was chilly it was lovely and sunny most days. We had a great meal at Walt's on Main Street, the food was delicious and the inside of the restaurant is awesome too. We also did a behind the scenes tour in Disneyland Park - there was only the 2 of us on it! This was great if you're into the history of the park etc.
Hope you have a fantastic trip, looking forward to reading about it!
vics18 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Oct 16, 05:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisa_Lollipop
Imagineer

Originally Posted by vics18 View Post
How lovely! We went in Jan this year and although it was chilly it was lovely and sunny most days. We had a great meal at Walt's on Main Street, the food was delicious and the inside of the restaurant is awesome too. We also did a behind the scenes tour in Disneyland Park - there was only the 2 of us on it! This was great if you're into the history of the park etc.
Hope you have a fantastic trip, looking forward to reading about it!
Oh brilliant, I am very excited to experience Disney in the cold ... it will make a change from the sweaty heat we are used to at WDW in May! Fingers crossed for no rain though!

Thanks for the tips... I will now be checking out Walt's and also having a look into the tour too! Loving that there are all these new things to research!
Old 18 Oct 16, 05:51 PM  
Link to this Post
vics18
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Lisa_Lollipop View Post
Oh brilliant, I am very excited to experience Disney in the cold ... it will make a change from the sweaty heat we are used to at WDW in May! Fingers crossed for no rain though!

Thanks for the tips... I will now be checking out Walt's and also having a look into the tour too! Loving that there are all these new things to research!
Yeah it was very different! I was 16 weeks pregnant too so a most unusual disney trip without any big rides.
We ate at Annette's diner too which was delicious and HUGE portions. Also the buffet at sequoia lodge (where we stayed) which we were quite impressed with.
vics18 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Oct 16, 08:21 PM  
Link to this Post
HelenJNT
Imagineer

Mobile

Yay! So happy to read this. Great PTR. That hotel looks so beautiful!

DLP in the cold is very different to WDW in the heat. But you'll have a great time regardless.

I will be expecting some "France numéro un" photos please xx
HelenJNT is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Oct 16, 08:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisa_Lollipop
Imagineer

Originally Posted by vics18 View Post
Yeah it was very different! I was 16 weeks pregnant too so a most unusual disney trip without any big rides.
We ate at Annette's diner too which was delicious and HUGE portions. Also the buffet at sequoia lodge (where we stayed) which we were quite impressed with.
Ooo yes I had come across Annette's Diner whilst researching restaurants (it's really all about the food for us!) so I think this will be making the list too!

Big congrats on your new addition!
Old 18 Oct 16, 08:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisa_Lollipop
Imagineer

Originally Posted by HelenJNT View Post
Yay! So happy to read this. Great PTR. That hotel looks so beautiful!

DLP in the cold is very different to WDW in the heat. But you'll have a great time regardless.

I will be expecting some "France numéro un" photos please xx
I am seeing it as a perfect excuse to buy some new Disney-themed jumpers and maybe even a scarf and some gloves (you've seen my hair... no hat is going to work!). I do love me a bit of winter-wear!

Pahahaha #francenumeroun is a must!

Thanks for joining me lovely (you know I would have been having words if you hadn't! ) xxx