Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 22 Feb 21, 02:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Tea
Imagineer

Feeling really glum

A year of my life and my kid's lives have passed in a haze of zoom and facetime. I feel we have lost a whole year. Nothing has changed or moved in that time.

My kids have been in school for only 15 weeks of the last 52. My daughter has her final exams and she can't focus using online classes and is doing no work- she won't get her uni place.

My children are constantly online or in front of screens.
I'm constantly in front of a screen.
It could be a full week before I go further than the post box.

I was ok up until the latest set of restrictions but now we are being told it might not lift until May (I'm in ireland). That hospitality won't open til summer, that some of the school classes wont be back til after Easter,
That we won't be able to go on foreign holidays until mid 2022.

I'm so fed up. I'm ratty and short with the kids, sick of yelling to do school work instead of xbox, not being able to see anyone and worrying about the effect on them not being able to see anyone. I have a son with asd and he has regressed so much socially.

I could deal with no hairdressers or clothes stores if we could just have some hope. I just want to be able to have something to look forward to- a holiday, a few nights away... anything.
The politicians and media keep saying how hopeful it is with the vaccines but it doesnt feel that way if we can do flip all til next Summer.

I'm very down about it all. I know I have a lot to be thankful for. My job is safe, the weather is improving etc but it just doesnt feel that way right now
Sorry for the ramble.
Old 22 Feb 21, 02:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Egon
slightly serious Dibber

Let it all out. . .get it off your chest

Luckily i only have the one child and my Mrs is working from home 100% of the time which is helping. But i am in the same boat, im finding myself getting very Ratty and easily annoyed. Knowing that restrictions could be eased within the next month or so has really lifted my spirit today.

All i can say is that we appear to be on the home straight and things can only get better now the vaccines are rolling out.

Stay positive, we'll be through it soon enough
Egon is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 21, 02:32 PM  
Link to this Post
disney332
Imagineer

My coping strategy, is to imagine what it is like to have lost someone, have someone close who's life has changed due to long covid and cannot work any more or have a loved one who has lost a job or business and is heading toward bankruptcy.

Yes, life sucks, but it could be so much worse.

Try and stay positive, there is a light at the end of the tunnel, just not as near as we would like it to be.

Disney332
Old 22 Feb 21, 02:33 PM  
Link to this Post
JessBlu
Imagineer

Change it up do something different this evening.

Take a walk to somewhere nice

Do a family activity, art, sports etc

Play a family computer game, mario party, just dance etc

Do a family cooking sessions

Plant some seeds in pots ready to plant out for summer

Buy a new magazine

Go for a run, swim , cycle

Do a craft project, lots on Amazon

Do a geocaches route

Clean out a cupboard

Camp in the garden

Have a bbq

Online Disney drawing class

Online yoga - weights / boxasixe

Hand wash the car

Do an online quiz MB quizzes are good

Arrange a virtual chat / party with friends

Build a Lego model

Play board games

We have done all of these since Xmas and really help to keep us happy.

We try to do something from the list every other day.

We just need a change up sometimes

Kids now says what’s on the list today, despite having to be dragged out of their rooms when I first suggested we bake a cake together 😂😂😂.

Edited at 02:53 PM.
JessBlu is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 21, 02:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridadreams
Imagineer

Mobile

It’s really not easy - I’m in Republic of Ireland too. It’s all just been bad news and really difficult to get going.
Try to get out for a walk - between the rubbish weather! Or order a takeaway. Or get the kids to make (or help) with dinner?
There are a few of us who are in the Republic who have a regular moan/support group going on in the Current Virus Issues board. I don’t know how to link on here but if you search for “updates on situation in Ireland” - that’s us. Come and join us if it’ll help
Be kind to yourself x
Floridadreams is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 21, 02:45 PM  
Link to this Post
nadya
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Tea View Post
A year of my life and my kid's lives have passed in a haze of zoom and facetime. I feel we have lost a whole year. Nothing has changed or moved in that time.

My kids have been in school for only 15 weeks of the last 52. My daughter has her final exams and she can't focus using online classes and is doing no work- she won't get her uni place.

My children are constantly online or in front of screens.
I'm constantly in front of a screen.
It could be a full week before I go further than the post box.

I was ok up until the latest set of restrictions but now we are being told it might not lift until May (I'm in ireland). That hospitality won't open til summer, that some of the school classes wont be back til after Easter,
That we won't be able to go on foreign holidays until mid 2022.

I'm so fed up. I'm ratty and short with the kids, sick of yelling to do school work instead of xbox, not being able to see anyone and worrying about the effect on them not being able to see anyone. I have a son with asd and he has regressed so much socially.

I could deal with no hairdressers or clothes stores if we could just have some hope. I just want to be able to have something to look forward to- a holiday, a few nights away... anything.
The politicians and media keep saying how hopeful it is with the vaccines but it doesnt feel that way if we can do flip all til next Summer.

I'm very down about it all. I know I have a lot to be thankful for. My job is safe, the weather is improving etc but it just doesnt feel that way right now
Sorry for the ramble.
Sorry to hear that but can totally relate,we have 2 boys with asd and their mental health has deteriorated massively,i really hope things improve soon.
nadya is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 21, 02:46 PM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Can I just say that it is ok to feel down sometimes too.

Life sucks sometimes and it is good to acknowledge the feelings. Have a bit of a wallow and then gradually add in some of the really lovely things mentioned in the previous posts.

Life is getting better. Vaccines are changing the path.

If there is no light at the end of your tunnel it is only because there is a corner or two to turn on the way...
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 21, 02:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

I must admit to feel fed up today 🙈
My youngest just doesn’t seem to be getting any better. Who knows when he will be able to return to school.
My daughter has been really poorly after her vaccine which has caused her bloods to go hey wire. She still can’t eat anything (vaccine was Friday).
A close family friend’s cancer has grown and given 4 months
So I am feeling pretty poo to be honest
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 21, 03:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Sparksy72
VIP Dibber

Sparksy72's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Your feelings are completely valid (there will always be other people in better or worse situations) and normal. This is a completely challenging situation and you just need to be kind to yourself. Take time out for a nice bath or a quiet coffee in the garden or even a glass of wine. There is hope, with more people having vaccinations it is a step closer to things slowly starting to reopen. Sending you big hugs 🤗
Sparksy72 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 21, 11:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Tea
Imagineer

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate all the messages
I did take some of the advice and went out and painted the fence in tge garden as the weather is due to turn poor again tonight.
Sub Committee of the Cabinet met this evening and confirmed we are in the highest level of restrictions until after Easter before there will be any revision, which is disappointing but expected, with my middle guys not back to school til then!
I am fairly certain October 2021 in Orlando wont happen so I'm going to plan for Easter 2022 instead. At least it gives me something to aim for!