Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 14 Mar 19, 05:05 PM  
Link to this Post
vampiress88
Imagineer

Mobile Would you get into debt for a holiday

Just following on from another thread made me wonder

Would you get into debt for a holiday?

I was always going to use a credit card abroad but due to other circumstances it will take a few months to pay off now rather than the day I got back as originally planned.

So would you?
Have you?
vampiress88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Mar 19, 05:09 PM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

if your comforatble/able to pay it off in x months as planned, even better if its a 0% card then why not

as other threads may suggest lifes to short...
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Mar 19, 05:16 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

I previously admitted that me and the wife had taken a loan out for a Florida holiday (over 60 months). We could afford the repayments and it was only around 4% APR, so not like we went to a loan shark.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Mar 19, 05:16 PM  
Link to this Post
shack69
Imagineer

I wonder never book a holiday without a valid plan to pay for it, so generallhy that means having the money in advance. But if i know that i have £X contingency each month then I would consider going and using that to pay for a few months after coming back.
shack69 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Mar 19, 05:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
No, never ever ! I feel bad enough when the holiday is over I couldn't bear the thought of still paying for it.
Smilesonfaces is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Mar 19, 05:31 PM  
Link to this Post
JudeB
Imagineer

JudeB's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
I have taken out a 0% interest cc and paid the holiday off over a year. It worked out well, but as a pp said - it's not nice having to pay for it long after the tan has faded! But we do still have the great memories, so wouldn't hesitate doing it again if I hadn't the savings to pay before the holiday.
Old 14 Mar 19, 05:33 PM  
Link to this Post
scooby99
Imagineer

If you're in the position to take out a 0% credit card & pay it back before the interest free period ends, absolutely!

Why spend your own money if you can keep it in the bank, earn a little interest on it & use the bank's money (for nothing!) instead?
scooby99 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Mar 19, 05:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
The first 3 times we did put it on the credit card and paid it off, dh then said if you wanna go again you can save the money and I did! I don’t work but saved money left from shopping, Birthday, Christmas money, saved £1s and £2s in a money boxes. My lovely mum who died last year backed on the horses and saved me her winnings towards our Florida holidays. My mil does car boot sales and sold some of our things, I ebayed and sold stuff. I managed to pay for 3 more Florida holidays just by putting bits and pieces away. I used to tell dh I have paid for flights, tickets, villas and car and some spends for food and any shopping you want to do comes out of your money and it did! There’s nothing better than going on a holiday that’s paid for upfront!
Old 14 Mar 19, 05:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

Simple answer No. If I can't afford it I don't do it.
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Mar 19, 05:51 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Personally, no I wouldn’t. I prefer to save before, just whatever can be afforded each month and book when we can afford it. In theory a 0% credit card means you could have the holiday first and pay it back interest free, but I worry that a major issue such as redundancy or ill health (which can happen to anyone) could mean the debt wouldn’t be paid up.

Our son has just used 0% credit card to fund some of their dream trip to Japan earlier this year. He had no worries about being able to pay it within the 18 months interest free. However, his landlord has now decided to sell their house, so son is looking to buy a house with a mortgage and has the added burden of this (relatively small thankfully) credit card debt too. So, it just shows you never know what could crop up.
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List