Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 6 Nov 19, 12:07 AM  
Link to this Post
Crackerx
VIP Dibber

Mobile Overweight and flying with virgin

So we fly in 3 weeks time and the diet hasn’t happened for various reasons. I’m about 6ft and 21stone usually fly with TUI and fly premium economy but this is our first time flying with virgin and we are economy I’m so worried about fitting in the seat and getting the seatbelt on does anybody know if the seats are very generous we have the rows of two near the back of the plane I’m so worried and so is my dw 😞
Crackerx is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Nov 19, 12:20 AM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

I can only say it depends where you carry your weight. I have had the seatbelt fear myself but have always been OK.

I have seen people with the seatbelt extensions on but I have never seen them given out so IF you do need one it will be very subtly given.

Good Luck.

Edited at 12:21 AM.
EssexSue is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Nov 19, 12:26 AM  
Link to this Post
pinkstargirl
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

You could always ask the crew for an extender belt as you get on or get settled, and if you don't need it then bonus but you'll have it there. As above I've heard it's very discreetly sorted out. I haven't needed one yet although been close on a couple of airlines. The VA one yesterday was snug on me but not uncomfortable and I do carry my weight around my tummy.
pinkstargirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Nov 19, 12:27 AM  
Link to this Post
Helen J
Imagineer

The biggest seat belt I've ever used was in Virgin economy, it was definitely a lot longer than the one I used the following year in premium economy. I think it also depends on whether or not the seat belt has previously been fixed or altered.
It may be worth trying all the seats in your group, because some belts are longer than others. I remember changing seats with my son in virgin economy and I noticed his belt was a lot shorter than mine.
I was worried about the seat belt fitting so I bought a seat belt extender, I take it on every flight but I've only used it once, that was in virgin premium economy, but then when I swapped with my DH I didn't need it in his seat.
Old 6 Nov 19, 07:38 AM  
Link to this Post
Alices Aunt
Imagineer

Mobile

Virgin economy is one of the few airline seats I don’t need an expansion belt with I’m sad to say.

My DH is 6’2 and prefers an aisle seat and is ok. You should be fine.
Alices Aunt is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Nov 19, 07:50 AM  
Link to this Post
evergreen
Imagineer

The only time I needed one was in the bubble, the staff are great,

Just don’t get yourself in a panic before you sit down adjust it to
It’s biggest size, your wife can always clip it together for you

Edited at 07:52 AM.
evergreen is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Nov 19, 08:04 AM  
Link to this Post
dietcokebreak
slightly serious Dibber

Also, the arm rest in those seats lifts up so you can put those up as soon as you’ve taken off 🙂
dietcokebreak is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Nov 19, 08:50 AM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Just to add I think the seat belts are bigger in Economy than PE, it may just be because the seats are not as wide and they are actually the same length but you seem to have more to play with iyswim.
EssexSue is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Nov 19, 11:38 AM  
Link to this Post
Crackerx
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Thank you so much everyone for your replies feeling a bit more confident now I’ll be ok 😊
Crackerx is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Nov 19, 01:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Mickeys Mrs
Imagineer

Husband is 5"10 and wears a 5xl tshirt he is a big guy
Myself - 5"2 and a UK size 22/24 so also a large lady

We try to travel in PE most of the time but on occasions we have flown Economy we choose the same seats you have so that was we are not "spilling" out into other peoples space and this has worked really well.

Hubby needs a seat belt extender but its always discreet and professional. We find the seats tight but bearable for the trip.

Try not to worry and just look forward to your holiday!

DLP 2002 & 2010
WDW 2003, 2006, 2009, 2012, 2015, 2017, 2022, 2023 (solo trip) & 2024
Mickeys Mrs is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List