Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Old 10 Aug 19, 09:10 PM  
Link to this Post
kadypants
slightly serious Dibber

WDW Resort Area Preferences

Which WDW resort area do you prefer to stay in and why? What makes that area special/more convenient for you/your family? And, while we're here, which hotel in particular do you like best?

We are starting to seriously think about the trip we are hoping to take in 2021 and I want to start narrowing down our options and making some decisions in advance. I have been looking into individual hotels, but having not stayed onsite before I really don't know where to begin. So I thought I might try narrowing down which areas of the resort might interest us to begin with. There are just so many options!
kadypants is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 19, 09:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Dr.JumbaJookiba
VIP Dibber

Easy access to parks during the day and a selection of restaurants at night drives my choices. I will usually split my stay between GF/BLT/CR for MK and then BWI/BWV for Epcot and Studios.
Dr.JumbaJookiba is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 19, 08:16 PM  
Link to this Post
kadypants
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Dr.JumbaJookiba View Post
Easy access to parks during the day and a selection of restaurants at night drives my choices. I will usually split my stay between GF/BLT/CR for MK and then BWI/BWV for Epcot and Studios.
Ooh, ok, thank you.
kadypants is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 19, 10:19 PM  
Link to this Post
avabear
Helping Mickey

We absolutely adore WL. Also love YC. Ideally would have a split stay between the two (but couldn’t do it this time because we get free DDP and with a split stay, you only get it at the first resort). Would happily recommend either.
avabear is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 19, 10:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Merryweather17
Apprentice Imagineer

Depends on your budget, all hotels with excellent access to the parks (monorail, walking, boat) are deluxe with the associated cost that brings. CBR is on the skyliner - with no need for transfers, and is very central for quick bus ride to MK/AK/DS. Port Orleans resorts are also nicely located with a boat to DS which is a nice change of pace after buses all day. I would consider the needs of your party and what their interests would be, if you know that you are not that bothered about AK for instance then being at the edge of property at the AKL probably isn't much use, if you have little ones and will be very much MK focused then BLT/contemporary are (currently) the only ones you can walk to MK from. If I had the money and could split stay I would go for BLT/Poly and beach club for that fantastic pool - I can dream!
Merryweather17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 19, 10:59 PM  
Link to this Post
kadypants
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by avabear View Post
We absolutely adore WL. Also love YC. Ideally would have a split stay between the two (but couldn’t do it this time because we get free DDP and with a split stay, you only get it at the first resort). Would happily recommend either.
Ooh that's good to know about the split stay and free DDP. I hadn't realised that!

Originally Posted by Merryweather17 View Post
Depends on your budget, all hotels with excellent access to the parks (monorail, walking, boat) are deluxe with the associated cost that brings. CBR is on the skyliner - with no need for transfers, and is very central for quick bus ride to MK/AK/DS. Port Orleans resorts are also nicely located with a boat to DS which is a nice change of pace after buses all day. I would consider the needs of your party and what their interests would be, if you know that you are not that bothered about AK for instance then being at the edge of property at the AKL probably isn't much use, if you have little ones and will be very much MK focused then BLT/contemporary are (currently) the only ones you can walk to MK from. If I had the money and could split stay I would go for BLT/Poly and beach club for that fantastic pool - I can dream!
Yeah, I really don't think our budget will stretch to any of the deluxe resorts with all the transport options unfortunately. (Unless we win the lottery, but i'd probably need to start playing first!) The Port Orleans resorts look lovely and, looking at prices for next year, could be within our budget. AKL is up there as one of my dream places to stay, however I hadn't really thought about the fact it's right at the edge. We did enjoy AK when we went and our children are massive animal lovers - I imagine we'd probably have a few visits there, but possibly not worth being right out that way. Hmmm...

Sorry - possibly being a bit daft - BLT?
Old 11 Aug 19, 11:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Dr.JumbaJookiba
VIP Dibber

BLT - Bay Lake Tower - DVC resort next to the Contemporary.
Dr.JumbaJookiba is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 19, 11:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Merryweather17
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by kadypants View Post
Ooh that's good to know about the split stay and free DDP. I hadn't realised that!

Yeah, I really don't think our budget will stretch to any of the deluxe resorts with all the transport options unfortunately. (Unless we win the lottery, but i'd probably need to start playing first!) The Port Orleans resorts look lovely and, looking at prices for next year, could be within our budget. AKL is up there as one of my dream places to stay, however I hadn't really thought about the fact it's right at the edge. We did enjoy AK when we went and our children are massive animal lovers - I imagine we'd probably have a few visits there, but possibly not worth being right out that way. Hmmm...

Sorry - possibly being a bit daft - BLT?
Not daft, just one of the many acronyms we use without thinking about. If you are going for free dining then PO makes sense and I would edge towards FQ just as the size is smaller and there is only one bus stop which makes travel time quicker. You could always do a mini split stay and book one night at the end at a savanah view room at the AKL (with DVC points or a standard hotel room) just for the experience. We have done this in the past and loved having a balcony and a chance to chill, drink wine and watch the animals mooching around. For budget reasons this was for just 2 nights but once we win that lottery it will be a bungalow at the Poly for a month
Merryweather17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 19, 08:31 PM  
Link to this Post
kadypants
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Dr.JumbaJookiba View Post
BLT - Bay Lake Tower - DVC resort next to the Contemporary.
Aaah, thank you. I haven't heard much about that particular resort. I might have to look into it.

Originally Posted by Merryweather17 View Post
Not daft, just one of the many acronyms we use without thinking about. If you are going for free dining then PO makes sense and I would edge towards FQ just as the size is smaller and there is only one bus stop which makes travel time quicker. You could always do a mini split stay and book one night at the end at a savanah view room at the AKL (with DVC points or a standard hotel room) just for the experience. We have done this in the past and loved having a balcony and a chance to chill, drink wine and watch the animals mooching around. For budget reasons this was for just 2 nights but once we win that lottery it will be a bungalow at the Poly for a month
Brilliant. Thank you! I think we would definitely be looking to take advantage of the free dining. That's the only reason I've managed to convince DH that we should look into staying on Disney property! I think we will be looking at a split stay (WDW resort and villa), possibly with a night or two at a Universal hotel (depending on funds!) Not sure I could convince DH to do anymore packing and unpacking than that But a 1/2 night stay at AKL does sound appealing.

I really need to look into this DVC points business. I've been listening to the podcast and they were talking about it on there. Another thing to research